Focal Clear Headphone Cables

I am looking for suggestions as to aftermarket cables for Focal Clear headphones. The stock cables are a little stiff and bulky in my opinion. They are flat which allows them to be flexible in one dimension, but stiff in the 90 degree direction.

While I’m not someone who believes cables can make a huge difference in SQ, perhaps I’m wrong about that. If I purchase a new cable, maybe I should try something that purports to improve SQ. So, I’m requesting any input users of Focal Clear may have regarding cables you have actually used with your Focal Clear headphones.

Also, has anyone used the Moon Silver Dragon and/or Moon Black Dragon cables? If so, what are your impressions? Also, the Cardas cable?

Thanks for responding with actual experience with Focal Clear aftermarket cables.

1 Like

I was also not thrilled with the Clear MG and Celestee stock cables and, upon many recommendations, went with Arctic Cables. Very light, well-made and (to my ears) superior quality, nice people to deal with, and pretty quick turnaround (cables in my hands in about 10 days). Lots of recommendations if you search around this forum or on headphones.com.

2 Likes

Do not have Focal cans but can attest to quality and very fair price of Arctic Cables.
I asked them to make a cable longer than was in their eBay ad and they did with no additional charges at all.
Better SQ?
I honestly did not notice any uptick but the quality and the flexibility exceeded my standard Sendy Audio cable

2 Likes

I have Moon Silver Dragons. Very nice cables, but no sound quality difference that I can hear.

2 Likes

Evidently, I fell down a rabbit hole and ordered a Moon Black Dragon cable for my Focal Clear headphones. Hopefully, it will be more flexible and comfortable to use than the stock cable. If I can hear any audible difference, we’ll see. Worse case, I’ll return it with a 10 percent restocking fee or sell it here or eBay to someone with younger ears than mine. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

2 Likes

I just received my Moon Black Dragon cable and am using it now. It will take a while to decide if it sounds any better or different, but it is a nice cable and much better than the OEM Focal Clear cable IMHO.

1 Like

Expectation bias? Maybe, but I don’t know how music could ever sound better. I’m definitely not sending this cable back nor am I going back to the stock Focal Clear cable. The only question now is will I order a 3.5mm adapter for my Dragonfly Cobalt and another 5 foot cable for my Drop + Dan Clark Audio AEON Open X headphones?

2 Likes

I don’t want to sound like an audiophile, but everything seems to sound more real, more alive. I’m not sure how to describe it. It’s definitely a noticable difference or else, I’m definitely down in a rabbit hole somewhere. Maybe if I send Moon another $100, it will sound even better, IDK.

I’m using no DSP and no Meridian crossfeed.

RoonShareImage-637541999238086469
RoonShareImage-637542022146095507

Just an example or two…

3 Likes

You could send me a $100 if that helps…

3 Likes

I just received my 1 foot Black Dragon 3.5mm adapter cable so I can use my Black Dragon cable with Focal Clear headphones and AudioQuest Dragonfly Cobalt. Sounds great.

1 Like

In conclusion…I am very happy with my Focal Clear headphones and Moon Black Dragon headphone cable to both Meridian Prime and Dragonfly Cobalt. I’m using no DSP, convolution, or crossfeed. I use both Tidal MQA and Qobuz high-resolution. It’s all good. And yes, headphone cables do/can make a difference.

1 Like

OK, I have detected one problem with this. The music sounds so freaking good, I am unable to go to bed at night. This is Tidal and Qobuz to Nucleus, ethernet from Netgear switch to RPi4 running RoPieeeXL, USB to Meridian Prime, Moon Black Dragon to Focal Clear headphones, no DSP, no Meridian crossfeed.

3 Likes

LMAO.
A nice problem to have IMHO though!

3 Likes

I completely understand your “problem.”

2 Likes

Well, rather than sell my Drop + Dan Clark Audio AEON Open X headphones, I ordered a Moon Silver Dragon cable. I hope it does for the AEON what the Black Dragon did for the Focal. We’ll see…

It’s her fault:

RoonShareImage-637494482085563015

1 Like

Received my Moon Silver Dragon Premium Cable for Drop + Dan Clark Audio AEON Open X headphones this morning. While they recommend 80 hours for break-in, it already sounds great. The added detail makes the AEON headphones sound more like the Focal Clear, which is a good thing, in my opinion.

RoonShareImage-637560701761092184

2 Likes

I’m really liking these Moon Dragon cables. I sent the 5 foot Silver Dragon back to swap for a 7 foot. Also ordered a 6 foot Black Dragon for my Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones.

1 Like

Just added a Silver Dragon to my collection. My ZMF Aeolus approve. Very crisp. :grinning:

2 Likes

Keeps getting better. Just received Moon Black Dragon Portable for my Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones. Currently listening to Audirvana through Meridian Prime.

1 Like

The Moon Black Dragon cable was too bass heavy with my Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones. So, I returned it and swapped for a Moon Silver Dragon. I just got home from being gone for 2 weeks and am listening now with Sony headphones and Silver Dragon streaming from Meridian Prime. As expected, it sounds really good and bass is not overbearing. Sometimes, you just have to make a few changes before you get it right.

1 Like