Force Low volume on restart

Yeah let’s figure this one out.

Warning though: I’m extremely busy at the moment, so I’m not sure when I get to it.
First need to set something up with a DAC, so I at least can try to figure out what’s going on.

Keep you posted.

regards,

1 Like

I have several IQAudIO hats and run them with speakers on digiamp hats and remembering volume settings has not been an issue for me. Here is one units settings. Note the use of volume limits too, just to be safe.

This setup also limits the volume for Spotify etc with the XL version too. In fact control of the volume in roon while other streaming is going on is possible too.

Thanks very much, Harry - completely understand you’re very busy. Just let me know if/how I can help.

@wizardofoz - thanks, so, just to be clear, with your settings does the volume come back at what it was last set, 60 or 100? I’ll have a play with the same settings.

Update: Now I’m confused - despite this happening several times during setup, I now can’t replicate the volume lurching to 100 after reboot, with or without volume limits set. It just stays at last setting, as I’d hope. Not sure what’s going on here but looks like I may have wasted your time - apologies @spockfish. If I get to a point of being able to replicate I’ll get back to you. In the meantime, I’d best make a donation :grinning:

Yes they come back at what they are set to, even after restarts that are regularly scheduled and even power outages. Even after software updates to ropieee all good and trust me I have has nasty surprises in the past as 3 of my setups have digiamp+ hats with speakers attached :flushed:

Full disclosure I use the XL beta exclusively but at least for the last year or more I have used stable too and no issues even Pre xl

1 Like

The settings stick…see my RPi endpoints - the man cave one is a dac balanced output to a preamp so runs at 100% fixed volume

Yeah, thanks @wizardofoz, not sure if you saw my edit above - don’t really understand why it didn’t work for me initially and now does - makes me twitchy but maybe there was some aspect of setup that hadn’t finished. For now I’ll try to remember to keep an eye on it (and have set a volume limit too). Thanks for your help. If all seems fine I’ll migrate my other RPi too.

Odd indeed…tbh I don’t even think about it now…there was a time I had to worry tho that my wife would go to play something and all hell would break lose as the volume had gone 100%…funny how one just simply adjusts to the new norm…I had totally forgotten those days.

There was a thread on it in this area tho

Those were interesting times :sweat_smile:

Hi,

but when this feature is used, the volume can only be changed by the +/- buttons to a higher level, which on an Ipad I find not very convenient.
Any chances of changing that on the near future?
Cheers
Thomas

Hmmm… that works crap.
I’ll put it on the list.

Thanks!

Oldie here… but just trying to figure out if this ever got implemented for HATs. The GUI seems to still imply USB volume only. Is there no way to make this work for HAT DAC or HAT AMPs? I have Hifi-Berry Amp2s and Amp100s. I do a hard power cycle every time I use them, so this would be a really critical feature for me.

This is not implemented for HATs, as there is another mechanism for those:

The current volume is stored upon reboot/shutdown, and restored upon boot.

However, if you ‘pull the plug’ this mechanism obviously does not work.
What you could do is set the volume requested, reboot the proper way (from the ‘advanced’ menu) and there you go.

Thanks

The use case is on a boat, so whenever I leave it, I fully turn the batteries off so as not to drain them. Unfortunately, I’m always going to have to “pull the plug” on these.

Have you read my last line?

I have but it seems like I don’t fully understand it.

I believe Harry is suggesting that you use the “Shutdown” button on the “Advanced” tab of the web gui instead of pulling the plug.

|351px;x283px;

1 Like

And one time only: it will save the current volume level to file. That is being used upon start.

Next time when you pull the plug the is still there, hence it will force the volume level.

Amazing, this sounds perfect. I’ll give it a shot.

Thanks!