Forum poll. What kind of speakers do you have? What do you like about them?

How do the Genlecs sound compared to the DD8C?

Hello ,

When I buy this type of components, I really dont care about the sound (as long as i dont hear a significant decrease in SQ) .

I have two IFI Purifiers in the middle of the powerstation to eliminate electrical disorders in between the Genelec 8361A and the Matrix Audio Element X .

For me its not about hearing the difference , even if you didnt hear anything , I can assure you that your components was happier with them :slight_smile:

1 Like

Both speakers deliver the best sound for money ive ever heard. They actually (to my ears) sound very alike. Transparent with a tweeter that never becoms to harsh .

Genelec 8361A has a slighly better soundstage due to the coaxial design. The midrange on the 8361A is also just a bit better , more open , clearer.

Both speakers are really good, but you need to integrate them to the room via DSP . They become twice as good then. It´s day and night in difference .

1 Like

I have a pair of Totem Arros. For the LR of our old house, the Wife Acceptance Factor was important. In cherry, these blend in fairly well and were available for local audition at a price I could swallow. They have a reputation for precise imaging but may be a bit too small to consistently project a believable 3D sound stage in this room (~16 x 20 x 7 feet) Nevertheless they can sound fabulous esp. with small-scale performances (acoustic guitar, female vocalists, chamber music, some jazz, etc.) Would love to compare them some day to a larger Totem speaker in a similar room.

Passive 40+ years old Allison Ones powered by a Phillips/Marantz DFA-1000 (120w Class A circuits, 4 internal Double Crown D/A converters). Tried other speakers, but kept coming back to the Allisons. They have that open, reflected sound but with precision.

2 Likes

Are they doing yoga? (The mat)

2 Likes

My main system is Meridian 218 and DSP 5200SEs I love them. Not need to bugger about with cables and system matching… just set em up and play music. Sheer Bliss

You’re using GLM AutoCal with the 8361’s?

Yes , right now ive only had the time (and GLM knowledge ) for an AutoCal , but it works really good. Genelec have really made it easy, but i know for sure there is more to get out of the 8361A .

1 Like

Next time you rotate speakers you should try the Grimm LS1BE.

I have heard them , they sound good ! But I didnt like the infrastructure of the system… and they are very much more money … and it didnt really resonate with the SQ compared to the DD . A also a bookshelf speaker in general … Next time i turn speaker i am ready for a floorstander … really big active ones !

Or you could sit your 8361’s on the W371 :hushed:

who knows :wink: They are amazing , Ive heard them and what they can do with directivity of low frequencies is awesome … but they are big … maybe when my 2- channel room is completed !

1 Like

I’ve owned them both, for a number of years. The Grimms are in a different league IMHO.

Glad to hear you like them :slight_smile: They are indeed really good!

I’ve just upgraded to passive Amphion Argon 7LS speakers, which I’ve been looking to purchase for quite a while. At shows I’ve always been drawn to them as very natural sounding speakers (the only others I’ve preferred have been Quad electrostatics). I love their bottom end extension, the timbre to instruments and natural vocals.

2 Likes

My main system drives a pair of Tekton Double Impact towers. They image very well and really provide me with a clean sound from top to bottom. The tone of instruments is the best I have heard. They reveal changes in gear upstream pretty easy, and this is fun.

I use KEF LS50s as surround speakers in a quad configuration, and they provide what I need for that.

My second system in the CD library drives a pair of PSB 6T floorstanders. They are front ported, and that helps in the small room they are in. I prefer my LS50s in that room because they image so very well and really provide air that I adore, but they are surrounds in the main room now.

The bedroom has a pair of Polk RTi A3s, and they work well for watching TV or streaming music via AirPlay. A pair of KEF LS50s will replace them one day, as that is what the wife wants.

B+W 702’s. Once I upgraded my speakers, I started to appreciate a higher standard of music listening. Then I re-ripped my CD collection, subscribed to Roon and Qobuz. Now I am happy.

1 Like

Dynaudio Contour 30s. These are really outstanding speakers with great dynamics and a clear, neutral sound. Perfect partner for my Hegel amp, which is connected with Audio Sensibility Testament cables. They double up as L&R for our HT setup.

PSB Synchrony 1 floor-standers, assisted on the low end by a JL Audio e112 sub, and driven by a Parasound A21+ amp. Exceptional clarity, instrument separation and sound stage; they’re especially great with vocals.