Forum poll. What kind of speakers do you have? What do you like about them?

Actives, Dynaudio Xeo 2, wall mounted, to my ears a very good compromise when having a small child running around in the living room. WhenI feel I can have a pair of speakers on the floor again I’m tempted to go passive again for the fun of testing different components

2 Likes

https://goo.gl/images/GKhxhS

Dhalquist DQ-10, GAS Ampzilla for power and Parasound P5 for preamp and DAC.

These do a wonderful job of impersonating the Quad ESL speaker of the day (around 1978).

The bass is tight and controlled, the midrange sparkles, and highs do a creditable job reproducing jazz cymbal work for 70 year old ears. Placed out from the wall, the image dances gloriously. Play Joey Alexander “Countdown” record, or “My Favorite Things” or Thile-Mehldau genre-bending eponymous record, especially Scarlet Town track (dangerous ear worm) to hear a magical image. Justin Kauflin “Silent Night” record is also strong. I’m mostly a jazz listener these days and these speakers are super for jazz, even big band like Snarky Puppy’s “Sylva” record.

If I were to replace them, it would be with Maggie MMG or 1.7 (which ever 1 is current). The same deal, pristine midrange, great image and creditable bass and cymbals.

This is a music rig only. Does collateral duty for movie audio but I could care less about bangs and whooshes.

4 Likes

A pair of passive Audience 2+2v2 (no crossover) and a JL Audio e110 for my 2 channel. In my HT Meridian DSP5200/5000 and HSU Subs.

1 Like

Passive. Wilson Sophia Series 2. What can I say? I just love the “Wilson sound” and I had a chance to get these at a price I could actually afford.

7 Likes

Your post is a really nice read! Thanks a lot, David.

1 Like

I have a mix.

Main system active

Smaller DSP actives in my study as near field monitors

Kids/spare room has KEF floor standers and my old Sugden amp.

4 Likes

Very active: a pair of Dynaudio Focus 60 XD Grey oak.
They continue to amaze me with their sound and overall balance.

10 Likes

In Living Room:
Passive Salk Songtowers

In computer room:
Active Audioengine 5+, soon to be replaced with KEF LS50W

1 Like

Passive Aperion Audio Verus Forte home theater speakers in my small living room. I thoroughly enjoy them in our modest system.
Aperion Audio Verus Forte

Active Audioengine HD6 in the office. They barely fit on my oversized desk but they’re fun.
zeitpress

2 Likes

Monitor Audio PL-300 (passive) and JL Audio F113 sub (active)

2 Likes

Great active speakers, I just got a pair last month.
Previously had the XD 200 for a year and a half.

What’s your setup?Cables, S/PDIF convertor etc…

1 Like

Passive Dali wall mount speakers used in 2.1 and 5.1 configurations with an SVS SB-4000 sub.

Fronts: Dali Rubicon LCR

Center: Dali Fazon LCR
Rears:Dali Fazon SAT
Sub: SVS SB-4000

1 Like

I also run Monitor Audio PL300s. The Devialet SAM profile takes the bass cleanly down to 16hz. Epic.

Regards Andrew

2 Likes

SPEAKING OF KIDS AND FLOORSTANDING SPEAKERS…

Here’s a little anecdote. About 17 years ago, when my daughter was three years old, she decided to do her daddy a “favour”. So she took a cloth and “dusted” the tweeters of my then brandnew B&W 801. Well, both tweeters were extremely clean afterwards :joy:, but unfortunately one of them had a pretty bad dent. When I phoned my Hifi dealer to tell him the whole story, he nearly laughed his head off. About ten days later he dropped by and replaced the dented tweeter with a new one — for free (i.e. under “warranty”!). That’s what I call excellent service! :grinning:

As you can probably imagine, allusions to the “tweeter story” have become a very popular running gag in our family…

8 Likes

Passive: Paradigm Reference Studio 20 v5

2 Likes

I’m the second Linkwitz fan to post in this thread.

I have a pair of Orions that I built in 2004. See the last photo on this page for the speakers and their setting until 2016 when audio perfection ended – we left behind the best acoustic space ever when we moved.

The Orions are full range dipole speakers (f3=40Hz) with an active crossover and eight amps, each connected directly to a driver (or two tweeters). For kicks, there’s a 15" driver in a 4 cu.ft. sealed box.

The “best” room for listening in our new house is an echo tank, and after two years of a very sad listening existence (computer+Tascam monitors, headphones, small home theater w/ KEF Q speakers, and an Echo dot), I’m in the midst of getting the concert hall experience back by turning said room into a studio-like space.

Check out the balrog, my turntable. It’s still disassembled from the move. Well, not the 700lb granite and steel base.

-_Eric

1 Like

Hart Audio Evo 1, 12" Tannoy dual concentric, with active bass.
Beautiful clear sound, driving bass, love em

2 Likes

At the moment: Furutech FP-TCS21 based power cables, Audioquest Carbon coax cables and a Raspberry Pi3/ Allo DigiOne streamer. Just keeping it simple.

Hi Will,

your thread on “audio related anecdotes, jokes and cartoons” is really great! Thanks!!!

2 Likes

One pair of active Philips MFB 541 and 1 pair of active Philips MFB 544. Both pairs are about 40 years old and they sound very good. Second hand they are from €100 (541) to €150 (544) a pair. Best purchase ever!

3 Likes