Frequent Lost Connection to Core Since Update [Resolved]

I have updated core and remote, and rebooted both. Drops occur about 3-4 times / hour, then reconnect. See profile for setup.

@John_V Did this also happen on the last build of ROCK that you were running or only after B310? Im assuming you are on B310, but perhaps you could post a screen shot of the web page for Rock so we can all see what you have.

From your Profile its hard to know what is on wireless and what is on Wired - could you elaborate please.

What format are you playing predominantly (FLAC 24/96 DSD etc) and how many endpoints are playing at the time this happens. Wifi congestion can occur when others in the house using it etc so timing of when this happens might be relevant too.

is it the endpoint disconnecting or just the remote? What is being used for the remotes, the endpoints and what DACs etc?

Are you using any DSP features like upsampling etc? Are you importing music while this is happening?

The more info you can provide the easier it will be for us to paint a picture of where the issues might be. See what might help us here

Hi @John_V ----- Thank you for the report and sharing what the experience has been like since updating your Roon core. The insight and feedback are both appreciated!

Setup description (from your profile):

• Core: i7 NUC Rock, 64MBRam, 256GB SSD
  • Storage: 8TB external Rock drive, 4TB external Rock drive backup, NAS backup #2
  • Remotes: iPad, iPhone, and Mac Pro, all wireless; Macmini, wired
  • Network: Ethernet, shielded Cat7 and 6; Nighthawk 8000P router, Nighthawk 3000 access point, Netgear switch
  • Endpoints: Allo DigiOne using ethernet in and BNC out to DAC; Oppo 203, ethernet in (audio), RCA out to receiver
  • DAC: Schiit Yggdrasil w/Analog 2
  • Audio: Anthem MRX720 to Paradigm speakers
  • Internet: 100MBps (promised) via Spectrum cable
  • Power treatment: none

In order to better understand this behavior you are experiencing with your remote(s) may I kindly ask you for the following:

• Please verify which devices are experiencing the issues.

• Besides rebooting the core and remote have you tried also rebooting any relevant networking hardware equipment as well (i.e Nighthawk 8000P router, Nighthawk 3000 access point, Netgear switch)?

• Have you tried reinstalling the application on any of your remote devices since noticing this behavior?

-Eric

Hi Oz, to your questions

just after the upgrade (happened yesterday)

Here is what I think you mean:

My various iOS and MBP control units are wireless; everything else is wired, i.e. Rock signal path.

At the time, the only Wifi traffic was Roon-related. The wide majority of my current library are CD quality. Only one endpoint (Ropieee) was operating. I was using DSP to upsample, but I usually run 80+ X speed; no importing at the time. I have only rebooted, not reinstalled on the MBP. The iOs’s were a reinstall because they don’t update automatically.

PS: as I finish this, I have also finished a complete restart of my LAN, cable, and related equipment. Early results are that the drops are gone for now. Since I wind up having to do a complete reboot anytime there’s an upgrade, I should probably just go ahead and do it first.

Eric just finished inspecting the router, access point, and switches, powered everything down, and did a systematic restart. Problem is solved for now.

When I first rebooted (after the upgrade) my control MPB was having trouble connecting to the Rock (using an Automator script). I disabled the script and manually mounted Rock. Just random info; not sure what it has to do with anything.

Thanks for touching base with me @John_V, very appreciated!

I am pleased to hear that power cycling your equipment has yielded a change in behavior here. I am going to keep this thread open for a few days and if anything comes up pleas let me know and we can continue troubleshooting.

If I don’t hear from you, I will be sure to touch base again before marking this “resolved”.

Happy listening!
-Eric

Hi @John_V — Just touching base with you in regard to the above. How have things been holding up?

-Eric

Doing quite well. I really do hope you all worked on the “false start” problem, because it sure looks like you did. Now, DigiOne, Yggy, TIDAL, and Roon all work as one. No dropped tracks, no stutter, and not much DAC pop. I’d call it ‘fixed’ but I don’t want you to get “the big head.” :slight_smile:

Sadly, I lost the pool on guessing the closest day to the next major build release. I said 3/31. So, when is it? :wink:

J

1 Like

Thanks for touching base with me @John_V, the update is appreciated!

I am going to be closing this thread out and marking it as “resolved”, but, should you run into this behavior again please just drop me a PM and I will be glad to re-open for additional troubleshooting :sunglasses:

Happy listening!
-Eric