Frequent TIDAL Error Messages

My problems are similar, but the first thing I noticed was that everything slowed down, loading an album, or track, in Roon, is taking far longer than it did befoere the last update. Unfortunately, I upgraded to Sonictransporter at about the same time as the new Roon update, so I am unsure which was the problem. Now, I get the mesage “taking longer to load the selected album, will try to do so in the background” a lot, and also, my ipad controller has to be rebooted quite often, and that hardly ever happened in the past. Thanks,

Don Ivey

LOL I’m with you here, but come on - I’ve had TONS of problems with Tidal too. For example, yesterday using Tidal’s desktop app, I wanted to listen to “Skyfall” by the Prague Symphony and Adele. I searched it, it was there, but when I clicked play, these pink boxes saying there was an issue with the server kept popping up over and over and over and I had to shut down the program. Other tracks did not have this issue. Other times Tidal is slow, or playback stops in the middle of a song, etc.

Point being, all services that rely on Internet infrastructure are going to have down time. In fact, in mission critical applications like SCADA for electrical or gas utilities, they purchase their own network which has guarantees for up time (its usually referred to as 9s (nines) as in 99.999999% reliable, with stated maximum statistical downtime expectations, etc.) or they lease a (virtual now - used to be T1, T3, etc. which in some cases was dedicated) circuit with the same types of guarantees from an ISP or telecom provider. Also of course server and routing hardware will have issues too so downtime is inevitable, including downtime for which no explanation is really necessary to customers presuming it was a one-time thing or based on routine maintenance.

But I agree with you that Roon could be more transparent. That’s why I asked what the actual issue was, since this was by NO MEANS the first time I’ve experienced the slowness, the inability to access individual albums (while Tidal worked fine), etc. I mean, If I’m going to take the plunge this May (I bought a one-year subscription) and pay $500 (or $400 if they’re giving me credit for the first year), then I want to know that the service is 1) reliable and 2) that they’re up front about the limitations and issues that they experience and anticipate.

At the end of the day, this IS just a music streaming/library application, not a connection from a megawatt nuclear reactor to the central substation of an electric grid. So it’s not life or death. BUT it is very annoying when the same issues happen over and over and no reasonable/decent/transparent explanation is provided.

Finally, you do have to give Roon credit for quickly responding to this kind of thing, and that (I know other users are in other countries, but here it’s important) they employ Americans in the United States (or is it also Britain based on the old Meridian days), rather than outsourcing their development to far away countries for pennies on the dollar (I hope I’m right about this!). I’m not implying by any means that developers or support staff from other countries are not as smart or smarter, I’m just saying that outsourcing has hit my industry (engineering) hard and that I DO look for companies that employ people from MY country if they’re based in the US and paying their corporate taxes. (again, hope I’m right here!). I know lots of foreign developers who are much better than many americans I’ve met, so this isn’t a statement about quality or anything like that - just personal economics and politics. If Roon had been a foreign company to BEGIN with, such as Tidal (Sweden?) I would still have purchased it based on its merits! But a lot of American firms have started here and then moved all their staff out of the country, but kept their rates/costs to customers the same, to save money and pay their shareholders, executives and C-suite people more. Sorry, that ended up being a rather long political rant. Again, no offense to my fellow Roon users who aren’t in the US (I hate our foreign policy, for what it’s worth, and I don’t agree with nearly anything my government does overseas).

Just my three cents :wink:

Your expectations are way out of whack, sir. Roon is doing a fantastic job overall, and while I, too, have had the occasional hiccup with the TIDAL integration, I want to encourage them to keep doing exactly what they’re doing.

I don’t see how requesting transparency from the company I’ve paid a lifetime subscription to is way out of whack? Good customer service is too much to expect? I’ve invested in them, I’m not asking for a phone call every time the service goes down. But if they are encountering an issue with some regularity it would be good to know what it might be. Are we a community or not? A blog post on “hey, here’s what’s been going on and the types of things we are doing to improve it” would take an hour or two of effort and buy a lot of good will. Ever hear of a net promoter score? This isn’t an extreme that’s being requested it is table stakes for offering a cloud or software type service. An interesting feature or cool product doesn’t excuse poor customer service.

1 Like

Also having issues (see Tidal playback issues). But after further troubleshooting, I can reproduce these issues also with the native Tidal app. I’m inclined to think Tidal is struggling with streaming music during certain periods of the day.

Would be interested in knowing during what periods of the day you are experiencing this, and where you guys are located. If “all hell breaks lose”, is that also the case with the native app?

Somebody mentioned DDoS attacks on Qobuz… maybe tidal is being targeted too.

Edward, I’m completely with you on your situation and opinion.
Guess they must be experiencing real big problems at Roon HQ as they are not able to fix this rather big problem or even communicate on it in a satisfactory way.
Hope they find a way soon.

It’s fairly easy to get caught up in the blaming game. Better focus on the OP’s issues and stick to facts, rather than guessing. I too am experiencing Tidal playback issues (mostly during the evenings). But I am also able to reproduce these in the official Tidal app. So clearly there’s more to it than just Roon (at least in my case).

Tidal relies on Akamai to stream. Akamai has it’s own server and outtage issues. I believe I posted a link sometime ago to the Akamai outtage map.

However, if you are having troubles same time at night, then I would suspect something in the delivery chain. It may be that there is some automatic throttling going on during peak usage which is causing the issue.

I suspect it is indeed an issue in the delivery chain (Akamai). I doubt it’s throttling as I get 600+ Mbps, even when the playback issues occur.

No issue at all here.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.