Germany: M-Net + Fritzbox - Port forwarding issue [Solved - Request Static IPv4 Address from M-Net]

Router: Fritzbox 7590
ISP: M-net (link)
Core: ROCK (PrimeMini 4 with Intel Core 8i7-8650U vPro (NUC7i7DN), 2x8 GB DDR4-2400MHz, 2 TB SSD internal storage)

Installation automation of Roon Core worked flawless (1.8 (build 996) mobile-ext).
iOS Testflight App also installed on iPhone 11Pro (RoonARC 0.1 (25))

The automation of port forwarding did not work, I needed to push that manually in the router. But it seems to be active now.

Still I get this error message:

{
“connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“212.114.229.62”,“router_external_ip”:null},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.178.1”,“found_upnp”:true}
}

Disabling „Firewall in stealth mode“ in the Fritzbox did not solve the issue.

Not sure what to do next. Any tip/advice? Thanks!

1 Like

I wonder if it is similar to Vodafone Germany
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/reduce-ui-to-things-that-work-if-no-port-forwarding/206904/5?u=ged_hickman1

1 Like

Thank you. I looked it up at the forum from my ISP and things seem to be complicated. At least it seems not as strict as with Vodafone. I now asked my ISP to enable a service called IP4-Option, that will grant me an exclusive external IP4 adress (without that the external IP is shared with lots of other customers). This will cost me 5 Euro/month. I hope it will sove this problem.

1 Like

A similar solution has been used by others, some providers charge others don’t.

1 Like

He Philipp

its the same with my local german provider here. (VSE-Net)
They use shared IP adresses for many users, so they are not reachable from outside.
I think my ISP will contact me monday, they also have an option for an “öffentliche IP” to solve the problem.

only thing that makes me wonder is, i can reach my synology nas, my plex server on it and the fritzBox menue from outside the house!?!
so maybe another tecnic used here (DynDNS?)

2 Likes

Hi @Philipp_Schaefer,

Thank you very much for the detail in your post and for elaborating on your situation and potential workarounds for other testers. I’m going to move this into our #arc-testing:port-forwarding-progress section for the moment and investigate other potential workarounds from our end.

Hi @cinematic,

Correct, the static public IP address will resolve situations involving dynamic IP assignment by the service provider.

2 Likes

Yes, i hope this will solve the problem. I keep you informed

@connor - Just to clarify for everyone: this option does not provide a static IP. In Germany ISPs do not provide static IPs to private customers. The IP will still be dynamic with this option active. What it will do is provide a dynamic IP that is not shared with / given to other private customers (which is the default these days).

Anyhow, can’t wait to test ARC by myself :hugs:

1 Like

Philipp, I also have M-Net + Fritzbox, with their IP4-Option, ARC works. Without this option, M-Net only provides an IPv6 address. Good luck.

2 Likes

Thank you - that’s great to hear. I‘ll report back once the option is active.

Hi mikeb,
it seems like the IP4-Option is now active, but ARC still does not work. This is the error message:

{
“connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“212.114.229.193”,“router_external_ip”:null},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”}
}

Did you change any settings in your Fritzbox? Did you assign a fixed IP to your core? Any other hint/tip how I could get ARC working? Thanks a lot!

Hi Philipp,

i´m not at M-Net but have a FritzBox too and got ARC Port running with a IP change at my provider.
your protocoll looks like you have upnp auto port forwarding off. i would try first to activate this again.
manually works too for me but automatik works good in FritzBox router

Is your IP with “whatismyip” sites now the same as in the protocoll?
I use DHCP in the Fritzbox but my Rock Core uses always the same IP in my network.

1 Like

a good simple site to see your IP and check for open port is this

1 Like

Hi Tom,
thanks a lot for diving into this.

There is this Fritzbox option “Transmit status information over UPnP” which was active. But I read that sometimes deactivating, applying and then activating again helps. So I did it. Now the error message looks different - better even :wink: - but still ARC won’t be able to connect to the core.

{
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“212.114.229.160”,“router_external_ip”:null},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.178.1”,“found_upnp”:true}
}

Regading the IP - this is the external view on my network:

The port is still closed from the outside (thanks for the link!). I’m wondering if my ISP really activated that IP4-option… I’ll try to reach someone there. Thanks again!

1 Like

I think they did, as you have an ipv4 address. You can confirm this in your FRITZ!Box > internet > status. Or on the home page. When I get home I can send you a screenshot of the port forward rule, but I think someone else posted it here too.

2 Likes

Hmmm… I don’t see an IP4 address in the Fritzbox…

1 Like

could be this “DSL Lite tunnel” at IPv4 is your problem, maybe you should talk to M-Net again for a “static IP” or “öffentliche IP”

55000 is open in FritzBox as the screenshot says, so it will be a problem at M-Net i think

1 Like

Ok, so that’s bad, you should see both an IPv4 and IPv6 address there - ARC needs that IPv4 address. The DS lite tunnel is without the extra IPv4 option I believe. I’ll share screenshots when I’m home!

2 Likes

Thank you both for your help. Very much appreciated!
I’ll call M-net now…

1 Like

You may just need to power cycle your FRITZ!Box, if mnet say they’ve enabled IPv4

1 Like