Getting Audio from the computer to the receiver

The distance from my surface Pro 3 computer to my network enabled Onkyo TX-NR808 receiver is approximately 50’. How do I get my audio signal over this distance?

I am currently using SqueezeBox Touch along with 2 SqueezeBox Radio’s. I am willing to replace this setup with the ROON system if I can get it to work over this distance.
What is the most inexpensive way to accomplish this?

I expect the Roonspeakers functionality to add (a lot) more options, but till that time you could think of ie a cheap apple tv as a network endpoint.

@Music15 I would also go to the thread to show them you support adding squeezebox endpoint to Roon and add a +1 for the request.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/squeeze-box-support/2183/3?u=rugby

On Apr 11, audiomuze wrote: "To my way of thinking it’d be great if your software adopted some of the key strengths of Logitechmediaserver (if not already on the cards):

networked, so music can be housed on a pc/server far away from the listening area"

danny replied on the same date: "In your list of key strengths, we nail all of them, except for the API. We love extensibility, and once we are launched, we will look into determining how people want to extend our system."

which led me to think there was a network solution already in place.
I would rather not do the Apple route.
If the Squeezebox Touch/Logitech media server solution relies on the small screen of the Touch than I don’t want to go there either.
There must be thousands of people out there with the computer a distance from the pre-amp/speakers in need of a networked connection?
Thank you for your input.

You might want to check out the Roon Speakers - What , When, How and for Whom? topic.

[quote=“Music15, post:4, topic:2651”]
Which led me to think there was a network solution already in place. I would rather not do the Apple route.If the Squeezebox Touch/Logitech media server solution relies on the small screen of the Touch than I don’t want to go there either.There must be thousands of people out there with the computer a distance from the pre-amp/speakers in need of a networked connection?[/quote]
Meridian MS200

Perhaps not the ‘…most inexpensive way…’, but you can’t fault Meridian :smile:

@Music15 ?
You say you already have LMS Touch & Radios working - why would (with Roon) that situation suddenly become worse ?
There’s a request - which is being worked on - to implement SqueezeBox / LMS devices as “endpoints”, which would be exactly the same as you have now, but with a different user interface : Roon.

Roon works perfectly fine on my Surface 3 Pro, from 3m away from my endpoints, or 20m away from them : if they’re all on the same network then distance is irrelevant.

@rolski What are your endpoints?

@Rugby
At the moment, I have an ID41 - so a Meridian / Sooloos based connection - with a Windows 8.1 core & all files on a Netgear NAS. This is my only true / currently functioning Roon endpoint.
I would like my 3 SBS / LMS Touches & 3 Duets also to be endpoints, which I understand is now in the Roon roadmap after requests from many users.
My Squeeze-based system uses exactly the same files & has been used for the last ~7 years, and has had to be pressed back into service recently when I’ve had problems with Roon…
Therefore, obviously Roon is only working for me in 1 room currently and I’d like it to function throughout my apartment…

@ the Roon forum mods : perhaps for some it’s unwanted clutter, but having a “signature” for each user would enable everyone to (potentially) see / understand each other’s system spec, in order to provide quicker & more accurate responses. Just a suggestion…

The Aries Mini is coming out August/September for USD $399.
Auralic are currently working with Roon to ensure compatibility:

Try clicking on the user name on the left. This will bring up their signature. I see you have
“Meridian : 861v8 + ID41 + HD621, 2SE-update DSP8.2K’s, SE-update DSP7200HC.
TAG McLaren : DVD32R-PSM192, T32R+DAB, 100x5R:10. B&W : 4*SCMS. Logitech : Squeezebox Touches & Duets…”
Personally I like the way Discourse does this, quick access to it, but not wasting the screenspace (especially when mobile).

For those wondering where to set it, you can do that in top right, click your icon\profile and then preferences on the top right. You’d want to edit the about me section.

1 Like

I am not getting how the interface would look in this scenario. I don’t want to be viewing my Roon interface on a Squeezebox touch tiny screen.
As someone wrote elsewhere, never underestimate the needs of your significant other. Before I test drive/purchase Roon, I need to know that we can control and listen to our music through our audio system that is 50’ away from the control computer.
We can do that now but NOT with the graphical user interface and metadata that Roon provides
My setup currently:
Surface Pro 3 computer with NAS for data files to my CAT-5 connected
network enabled Onkyo TX-NR808 receiver with speaker zones throughout the house.
Squeezebox Touch CAT-5 hard wired to network in the same room as receiver
2 Squeezebox ratios wireless in other rooms (not essential that these are involved in the Roon setup)
Ideally I want to leave the Surface Pro 3 controlling computer in the other room attached to the NAS, 50’ away from the receiver.
Control the Roon music interface wirelessly with a dedicated HP Stream 7 (or similar) in the same room as the receiver.

Is this possible now or do I need to wait for further developments at Roon?

Roon runs on a core and remotes. They send music from network devices to endpoints, which are configured as zones. At the moment you could use an Android or Windows tablet as a remote in your listening room and keep the Surface running as core in the other room attached to your NAS. The Ipad app is coming in the next few weeks.

If your receiver is recognized by Windows then it should be available as an endpoint:
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/what-audio-endpoints-are-supported-by-roon/489

Here’s some threads about what works as a remote:

Unfortunately the HP Stream 7 appears underpowered to run Roon as a remote. Google Nexus 9 has supporters.

In Settings/Setup set the core version of Roon to accept connections by remote. The remote can access music stored on networked devices and send it to endpoints connected to the core. A remote can also send music to it’s own connected endpoints (private zones). Roonspeakers (as I understand it), will, when released, enable core or remotes to send music to outputs connected to other remotes.

2 Likes

Thank you for your very comprehensive reply!
After reading your explanation and links, I feel I can move on to downloading the trial and experimenting with the results.
Many thanks,

@rovinggecko
Whoops / thanks ! I appear to have had a “senior moment”…not only is there the possibility of doing what I requested, I’ve actually already found it & done it ! I was probably suffering from too much :beer: or perhaps too little ! :beers:

1 Like