Gold Note DS 10 + Roon: DSD files converted to PCM, no option to change to native (ref#CKW06K)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

· I'm having trouble with my DAC, speakers, streamer, etc.

What best describes the issue with your audio device?

· Other

Describe the issue

Gold Note DS 10 + Roon DSD files are downsampled to PCM. No option in settings to change to native. Unit is connected by Wi-Fi but also I tried with USB and Network cable. I have two units. One, Main stereo is playing DSD files natively. I set it up a few months ago. It had an option to set to native. I am setting up my new unit today and it converts the DSD file to PCM and there is no setting anywhere to change the processing of DSD. I have upgraded its firmware and am running the newest build of Roon. My core is on Nucleus. I use an iPad, iPhone or Mac Laptop as a remote. What am I missing?

Describe your network setup

ORBI Network with 3 Satellite units, Ultra Fast Internet, Nucleus Core, Upgraded memory. Endpoint Gold Note DS 10 DAC x2

From Device Setup (under volume icon > Settings), you will see DSD playback strategy as an option if the device doesn’t support native DSD.

If this isn’t present, click on Show advanced, and scroll down to Max sample rate (DSD). Note that there are no scroll bars, but more settings are below the last entry in the pop-up.

Capabilities depend on the interface / digital input used.

1 Like

Thank you, unfortunately is does not show the DSD strategy. Although the gold note ds10 supports dsd playback and is Roon ready. This is my second gold note dac. They first one I set up did allow me to set up dsd natively. So I have one dac that does that does not convert. My second one offers no DSD strategy and converts to PCM. When I go back and select device setup with the older dac it does not offer the DSD strategy but is playing back natively. Very strange.

It won’t if native DSD is supported – see my earlier post. Check MUSE: have you set Sample rate conversion?

How is it connected to Roon Server?

1 Like

Are you sure the one that supported DSD was set up as a Roon Ready streamer, and not a DAC?

I have tried the DS-10 in my setup a while back, and one of the issues i had with it was that it didn’t do DSD via it’s ethernet input, only as a DAC…

1 Like

The DS10 that is working is hooked up via ethernet. The other DS10 is wireless but I did try ethernet and directly to my nucleus via USB. The only option that happened then was it showed up as connected to Nucleus and had an option for DSD but not native.

I do not have it set to convert

Thanks for confirming. Please let us know how each DS-10 is connected to your Roon server, e.g., network connection or USB. Also note @Mikael_Ollars’ comment.

That is expected though, you’re relying on ALSA to adapt to USB Audio 2.0, which nor ally gives PCM384 and DSD128 DoP.

The only other thing i can suggest is making sure you don’t have any volume control active in the DS-10 that’s not cooperating. Otherwise i’d turn to Goldnote to have their perspective on the issue.

Hi, The gold note that is playing DSD natively is connected by ethernet cable. The other gold note that is downsampling is by wifi. That said I tried it by ethernet cable as well. It made no difference.

I had selected the device to control the volume. I changed it to fixed volume and it made no difference. I had not contacted Gold Note because was not sure if something had changed in the Roon software since I set up my first unit.

1 Like

Also, I played a DSD file from the GN Control App (Gold Note) and it played perfectly without converting it to PCM. I have written gold note support and am waiting on a response.

1 Like

sorry I have it set to Network.

I suppose you tried with a fixed (maximum volume) level after the screenshots?
I’m out of suggestions, but just to check that i’ve got everything right:
You have two Goldnote DS-10, one std and one “Plus”, both on firmware 1.82, but only one of them (the Plus) is recognized by Roon as DSD Native capable.

The “catch all” solution in these strange scenarios should be to factory reset the offending device, and reinstall it. But it seems we’re missing something.

1 Like

Yes that is correct. I did try fixed volume. Still no solution. Waiting for a response from Gold Note. I am with you we are all missing something but I can not see what it is. Hoping @support will chime in with something simple :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @Michael_Lockwood,

Thanks for writing in, and sorry to hear you’re having an issue with a new Gold Note device!

My apologies if I’ve glazed over this, but have you already performed a factory reset on the device?

Lets also refresh your RAATServer settings on the Nucleus. You can generate a new RAATServer instance on your device by following these instructions, but please be aware that this will reset your Roon Settings → Audio Tab to factory settings and I would advise making a backup of any custom DSP settings you have:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Stop RoonServer from running in Nucleus’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RAATServer”
  • Rename the “RAATServer” folder to “RAATServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new RAATServer

Lastly, if your issue persists, could you disable the properly functioning Gold Note and re-attempt to connect the STD again, and share the specific date and time? We’ll pull diagnostics to see if there’s any additional information available. :+1:

1 Like

Hey There.

So, I have exhausted the search for how to reset the Gold Note DS10 to factory settings. Not in the manual, App or online anywhere. I restarted it. I am attaching some screen shots. There were three Roon Folders in my Library. Have a look. I renamed the RAATServer but it did not create a new one. So Roon still thinks it needs to convert the DSD file.

I disabled the DS10 Plus that is working correctly at 9:53pm Pacific time.

I just enabled it for this screen shot. This is the DS10 Plus