Google Home Hub as Roon Display?

(Derek Wyman) #21

(Tim) #22

Just tried again this morning after letting the hub sit since last night.

Roon display came up when I clicked to start it and it showed for 15 minutes before it switched to the hub home screen with the time and random pictures.

Swiping from the left to right brings up the full screen clock.

Swiping from the right to left brings up a new picture.

Will explore settings later today.

Tim

(Derek Wyman) #23

I played around with it last night. Mine doesn’t go back into screensaver mode on it’s own. It will stay on roon for as long as i have it set as a display BUT if i do swipe it away there is no guaranteed way to get it back. Sometimes it shows on the home screen like in the pic, sometimes it doesn’t and there is no way i can see to access anything directly thru the device. As I said it’s cool as a display for roon but obviously not designed to be a cast device in that sense. Maybe as it grows there will be more touch relayed functionality (reopen apps/recent etc)

(Tony) #24

What do you mean by this? It is designed for Chromecasting (according to specs and reviews), so is the issue present when you Chromecast other media to it? Trying to determine if this is an issue with the Google software on the device or the Roon Chromecasting/Display implementation.

(Sean) #25

That’s cool. Thanks.

(Tim) #26

Tony,

I’m embarrassed to say I had not thought about casting something else to the hub, I don’t cast much since I have nVidia Shields attached to my primary TVs use them to watch videos.

I tried casting a 33 minute YouTube video to the hub and it played to the end and then advanced to the next video.

I then started a Roon display to the hub and when it made it past 15 minutes I got my hopes up but then at 26 minutes it switched back to the time display with a random Google image.

I wonder if using YouTube is not the best test. I had wondered if the time of day ( after midnight here ) might have made difference but other than getting an extra 10 minutes of Roon display I still ended up with the same result.

It’s now almost 1:15 in the morning here so I’m going to retire for the night and pick this up later in the day.

One other thing that I have noticed is that when the Roon display is active the screen will randomly refresh several times per track, Not sure I’ve noticed this using a Chromecast as a display.

Tim

(simon arnold) #27

It’s never been officially said you can Chromecast video to it. It’s based on the same tech as it’s not android os but it doesn’t mean it’s fully featured like the dongles. Nowhere on Google’s site does is mention Chromecast.

(Tony) #28

But it does say 'Casting optimised for selected services only. ’ which may be the issue.

@Tim_Jordan, many thanks for doing the testing. Hopefully Roon can take a look at this and optimise the casting part of Roon? (EDIT: if it is a Roon issue… any chance that @support can look into this?)

(simon arnold) #29

Selected services being YouTube and Google play music I guess.

(Steve B) #30

Same issue with Lenovo Smart Display. Shows as a display in the Roon settings and works great for about 2 mins, then appears to lose connection and reverts to the home screen. Really great whilst working, pity you can’t even get one track out of it though.

(Tony) #31

That is good in one sense as the same ‘fix’ may work for all platforms (presuming it can be fixed from the Roon end). The hardware differs but the software should be the same I believe for all Home hubs.

(Bob Hendricks) #32

Counterintuitively, the software for the Google Home Hub is completely different from the others. From 10/22/2018 Ars Technica article:

The Google Home Hub takes an odd departure from the other Google Smart Displays when it comes to software. While the interface is identical to the smart displays from Lenovo, JBL, and others, the base OS for the Home Hub is the Google Cast platform. Other Smart Displays were the launch platform for Android Things. So while something like the Lenovo Smart Display could be seen as a stripped-down smartphone, the Home Hub is more a souped-up Chromecast. My only guess as to why Google did this was to keep costs down. The Cast Platform should have lower system requirements than Android Things.

(Tony) #33

Yes, I meant it should all be functionally the same, so if it works on one it should work on the other platforms. Anyway, it is a moot point until we know where the issue lies with the casting issue.

(Bernard Crawford) #35

Looking for some clarification on what the issues are here, are the problems arising from using the device to merely show Roon information as a display, or as an end point?

(Tim) #36

In my case I just want to use the hub as a display. I’m hoping to replace a Pi running Ropieee with the hub and get track into plus access to Google’s assistant.

Tim

(Dylan Caudill) #37

Hi everyone,

We are aware of the issues with using the Google Home Hub as a Display. I don’t have an exact timeframe to provide, but it is something we hope to resolve in the future. We appreciate your feedback here!

(Dan Brown) #38

Hi folks, I’ve just bought a Home Hub and it does the same. There’s a workaround to get it to display Roon again, but this isn’t ideal, as it drops the display again after a certain amount of time.

Basically… once the hub drops the display, go into the Google Home app on… in my case… An iPad, click on the Home Hub device, then click ‘Stop casting’ button, bottom left. Then go back into Roon and ‘Start Display’ again.

Looking forward to a fix. Thanks for letting us know @dylan that you’re on it! :smiley:

(David N) #39

Hoping for a fix for this too. It’s a great little display in addition to all the little tricks you can do with it.