Graphical library map

i know this is really the last possible request in terms of importance and utility.
but, if roon wants to recreate the “album experience”, i could also suggest to go beyond the album experience.
for example, i’d like something like the internet map
http://internet-map.net

an “onsight” view of the library: looking at artists (performers) with respect to their presence (=links) inside the library. for example, in a rock library, bob dylan could be a big bubble, meaning that lots of artists have made covers of dylan’s songs.
in a jazz library, the same could be for example for standards composers like jerome kern or gershwin.
john zorn or brian eno, as composers and producers, would be a big bubble.

i don’t know… it’s nor really a request. just an idea for a new way for exploring the library.

2 Likes

This kind of thing has been raised before. Agreed it would be nice, but a richer exploration doesn’t seem to be on roon’s priority list.

As @evand says, this was covered before, but to suggest “richer exploration doesn’t seem to be on Roon’s priority list” is purely speculation. We will have to wait and see, but I think a first welcome step will be artist/ album recommendations from outside our library.

I’d posit that the first welcome step would be better management and integration of metadata relating to albums already in my existing library.

1 Like

Roon and/or Roon users surely would profit from more ways to explore the library.

For instance: it might also be interesting to do something with timelines. Simple table views aren’t too exciting…

Also - as asked before quite a few times by quite some users - exposing more of what’s already known would be great. There are data points which are simply not accessible for exploration but only shown (like credits); or features which are working kind of unexpected / limited or not in all areas (like focusing Roon tags in the Composition browser / Composition details view).

Maps would - besides offering an engaging way to discover things in the library - also look impressive when presenting the product Roon… :wink:

Don’t know why I bother, but here’s one of many suggestions along the same lines going back years. I say it’s not a priority for Roon because there’s been absolutely no movement on this front since the first release, we don’t even have basic and/or filtering capability.

1 Like

ok… i admit i didn’t look in the forum…
but i’m glad that someone else had similar ideas.

i completely agree that a thing like this is not at all a priority. and i completely agree with @anon47919701 that there are tons of data already there but non accessible. i’m glad to see that someone else feel this problem.
actually, i asked as a feature some time ago a window for browsing performers. they are there, but you cannot see them (except going album by album, or track by track, and check the credits).
this is in my opinion the worse problem with roon (the other one being metadata problems).

+1
(ten characters required)

1 Like