Grateful Dead "In and Out of the Garden" Box Set - Skipping Files

Hey @Placebophile, I taper off around '74/'75. There’s plenty of stuff after that period that’s enjoyable but I’m more into the early years. Brent’s singing is pretty ace though, even if their 80s sound is a bit digitally dated at times (IMO).

1 Like

@JAMIE. Hey Jamie, just wondered if your support team was able to figure out what the issue is with “The Other One”.

“Taper Off” :sweat_smile:
Pun intended I hope.
I agree Brent is a great singer and a monster B3 player but yeah, some of those 80s tones are a bit cringey.

1 Like

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hey @John_Baule - I passed it along to tech support! :v:t2: They’re probably catching up on the backlog from the long weekend. I’m sure that they’ll jump in when they can.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

John_Baule

Oct '22

Roon Core Machine

I am running Roon Version 2.0 (build 1128) on a QNAP NAS running Linux 5.10.60-qnap.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

I am running music through either a Moon 390D by SimAudio or a Naim Muso QB

Number of Tracks in Library

I have 78,296 tracks across 4,893 albums.

Description of Issue

I purchased the flac 192-24 digital copy of the Grateful Dead in and out of the Garden. I purchased this directly The first concert in the box set - Mar 09, 1981 is where I encountered the problem describe below. The concert was playing perfectly through Track 16 “Drums”. However, Roon then skipped over the next two files - Track 17 “Space” and Track 18 “The Other One” before proceeding to Track 19 - “Stella Blue”. I did some experimentation to try to figure out the issue as follows:

1. Determined that the files had data associated with them. The two files had 238.6 and 271.1MB respectively. I also verified that neither file was showing up in the corrupt tracks area of Roon.
  2. I then tried to play both files using VLC and JRiver Media. Both worked fine.
  3. I then tried removing the files from my NAS and Roon library and adding them back one at a time. What I found was that when I deleted Track 18 - “The Other One”, Roon played the other files - Track 16 - Track 19 including the previously skipped Track 17 - “Space” with no problem.
  4. So I have now narrowed in on the fact that it is something to do with Track 18 “The Other One”. I tried changing the name of the file and recopying it into my Roon directory, but this did not work. This is where I am stuck. I am pretty sure there is nothing wrong with the file since it plays on the other media players. I also communicated on the forum with another Roon subscriber who had the same problem. He solved it by down-sampling the two tracks to 44/16 and then it worked. I suppose I could do this with “The Other One” but that wouldn’t really get to the root cause so thought I would share the issue with you.

Hi @John_Baule ,

Are you still seeing this issue at the present time? If so, can you please upload the sample files that are causing the issues to the following link for analysis and let us know once uploaded?

https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/collection/nqcgjac23027d90a441bda2c314de49d7958a/external