Hardware buttons on Samsung 21 no longer control volume from locked screen

I agree, guessing it’s an Android issue that has to do with licensing. Why Roon support won’t reply to this is perplexing.

Hi @Scott_Seiler,

Please accept our apologies for the long delay, and I can assure you it wasn’t an attempt to evade your problem. For full disclosure, there was an internal miscommunication as we reorganized the support section on Community and we failed to follow through with consistent updates on this issue in this thread as a result. I recognize it’s been frustrating to hear nothing for weeks. We won’t fail to respond going forward.

We met with our QA team and there’s a priority ticket for this issue. We’re going to investigate further and I hope to have an update and next steps to share here shortly. I’m happy to answer any questions in the meantime.

Thanks! I appreciate the follow-up and apology. I’m looking forward to hearing the resolution. Have a great day!

Hi @Scott_Seiler,

Is this issue persisting with the most recent build (Build 970)?

Our QA team believes some changes we implemented may have resolved this, but any new information will help us pinpoint the issue if you’re still encountering it.

Thank you again for your patience.

Hello! Thanks for the follow up. Unfortunately, no it still doesn’t work. If I’m not in the app, the volume button won’t control the volume. If the screen is locked I can play/pause/skip from the lock screen widget but the volume button doesn’t work. Thanks

Hello. Just following up. I checked again today after the update and it still doesn’t work. Thanks

Is there anybody out there?

I’m never gonna give you up, please solve this issue. Or at least reply?

1 Like

I have patiently waited for a reply for months. Is there a solution? Are you working on it? I’d appreciate a reply.

1 Like

Any updates? I’m having this issue on a Pixel 6

Hello, I am unable to get my volume buttons to work unless I have the app up on my phone. I have lock screen controls enabled.

I tested connecting my Tidal app to my TV chromecast and I can control the cast volume whether the Tidal app is in front, the screen is locked, and locked screen with display off.

Phone: Pixel 6
Core: Ubuntu
Endpoint: Ropiee

Please help!
Michael

Am I missing something? The docs state:

Android

Improved Volume Control

Roon’s volume controls on Android have been completely overhauled, making it even easier to set your music to just the right level.

With Roon open, your Android device’s physical volume buttons can now be used to control the currently selected zone’s volume. The current volume level will be displayed on-screen, and you can make fine adjustments without even looking at your device.

You can also control your device’s volume with your phone locked when Lock Screen controls are enabled.

This feature was removed on certain Android devices including all Pixels at the Os level due to Sonos law suit against google. Nothing Roon can do as it’s a patent infringement.

I’m able to cast Tidal to a chromecast on my TV and control volume while locked. It seems like Roon is not connected to the volume buttons.

Hi @Michael_Urban1,

I’ve merged your most recent report into the main thread.

I understand this issue has tested the patience of a number of dedicated Roon users in this thread, so the team would like to apologize for the extended delay in communicating where things stand.

At this point, we can reliably reproduce the issue in-house for certain Android devices, and we’re actively working on a fix with our QA department. We don’t have a precise timeline to resolution, but we’ll post updates in this thread as the fix progresses through the pipeline. Thank you!

1 Like

I appreciate the update and look forward to the fix. Take care.

Michael

Thanks. We all anxiously await the updates. Much appreciated.

Hi @Scott_Seiler,

I know you’ve been particularly affected by the long pauses between updates on this thread, so I’ll try to post at often as possible on the status of the ticket. We’re tracking this one quite actively internally.

Thank you! I understand it might take some time to solve, but I do appreciate more frequent updates, even if it’s just to let us know you haven’t forgotten!

Scott