HDMI CEC Volume/Transport

What I’ve already found doesn’t fill me with optimism, but let’s see…

I’ve just moved things around and for the first time I’ve connected my NUC to my Sony AVR via HDMI. Is there any way, even with extensions, dongles or internal adaptors, to fully control playback over HDMI-CEC? I gather that internal HDMI compatibility is limited to on/off, but I’d like to have full control of transport and volume (and especially have Roon control the AVR volume).

Am I just dreaming?

NUC10i5FNHN/STR-DN1080

Never tried it, and I don’t know how up-to-date it is, but I did remember seeing a link to a CEC extension.

2 Likes

Hello!

Software part:

This roon-cec-controller-extension is not up-to-date (I haven’t updated for 6 years!), Roon changed their plugin framework a while ago and I did not update this.
As I am still using it (although it is out-dated, it still works…) it is on my to-do list, with no ETA.

Hardware part:

I am using an old NUC (see My Perfect Roon Core/Bridge), but I think newer NUC models are no longer compatible with the Intel NUC HDMI-CEC Adapter so you probably need the USB - CEC Adapter.

Ben.

It seems that your NUC10i5FNHN is 10th generation so Intel NUC HDMI-CEC Adapter should work. Check if there is a header.

Still up&running:

Thanks! I appreciate that. I’ve yet to try any extensions but it’ll give me an excuse to dust off a pi… Just to work out now how to get one of those adapters delivered to Europe…

I think they’re already in Europe (UK).
I got mine shipped to France, it did not take long.

On the other hand, back in 2018 I did not manage to get a RPi working correctly (although I don’t remember what wasn’t working).

Well it’s ordered- ground shipping to Italy, so I’ll probably have forgotten all about it by the time it arrives…
Thanks again!