HDMI output for multi-channel work with Denon AVR?

I have a 3808ci and it does support DSD via HDMI

Manual pg 57

• When playing DSD signals in the DIRECT or PURE DIRECT mode,
the DSD signals are converted as such into analog signals. When
playing in other surround modes, the DSD signals are first converted
into PCM format, then into analog signals.
• “DSD DIRECT” is shown on the display when playing DSD 2-channel
signals in the DIRECT mode. “DSD MULTI DIRECT” is shown on
the display when playing DSD multi–channel signals in the DIRECT
mode

While trying to sort this out, I think I read somewhere that lack of dsd over hdmi is a limitation of the intel hdmi implementation, and that dsd over hdmi is not supported on any pc. It might have been related to licensing or drm or something, don’t recall exactly. At any rate, I never got it to work with a Denon AVR-X3300w, which definitely supports dsd.

Edit: sorry, what @mitr said above.

I learn something new every day. What I learned a long time ago was that Denon’s manuals were impossible to fathom.

Curious, what playback device/software are you using to get dsd over hdmi?

It’s an OPPO DV-980H. Multi-channel in shows DSD on the display.

1 Like

Ah, thanks. Was hoping you had figured out a way to get it working for pc.

I know of exactly one computer-like object that outputs DSD over HDMI: the Bryston BDP-3, and it’s limited to stereo only, and I believe DSD64 only (I’ve never seen HDMI spec’d for higher than that, but learn new things every day).

I believe that the heart of the BDP-3 is an Intel CPU running Linux, so it’s possible. AFAIK, the Bryston HDMI driver is not available outside of the BDP-3. AFAIK, there’s no Mac/Windows solution. A web search will find a few threads about Linux DSD over HDMI support, but they’re all very discouraging the last time I looked (a few years ago).

I wish someone would build a receiver or pre-pro that took multichannel DSD over USB. I’m not aware of any.

Hello- I’m a new user of a Roon Nucleus + and have attempted to using a HDMI cable from Nuc+ HDMI A to Denon AVR-X4300H HDMI input (Media Player) but get no sound. Also, no speakers show up on front display of Denon receiver.

Using Roon app on MacBook Pro I can select audio zone of Denon connected to Nuc+ and attempt playback and all looks well — app appears to show music playback to Denon device.

I am able to select Denon as audio zone through AirPlay and get sound — just not via direct HDMI cable described above.

I’ve spent multiple hours trying to get it to work with no success. Can someone help me troubleshoot?

Thanks

Evan

Hello Evan and welcome to the forum. I will try and help. Do have my Denon 8500H connected via HDMI to NUC and it works fine.

I have to make an early morning store run, will get back to you when I’m done if you don’t get an answer by then.

Is your Denon AVR being used in a home cinema setup, with its HDMI output being connected to a TV?

If so, try physically unplugging the HDMI connection between the AVR HDMI output, and the TV HDMI input, and see whether the Nucleus HDMI output can be set up and work with the Denon.

In my case, I ran into HDMI handshake issues when I replaced our old Panasonic LCD TV with a new Samsung QLED TV. In the end I had to invest in a Dr. HDMI device to sit between my ROCK NUC and my Denon 3808 AVR. Not cheap, but it does mean that I’m no longer plagued by HDMI handshake issues.

Yes, the system is set up with a home theater. I unplugged HDMI cable from AVR to TV with no change in circumstances—no sound from NUC+ to AVR.

And you have setup and enabled the HDMI connection on your Nucleus+?

I suspect that you will have a device called something like HDA Intel PCH HDMI 0 in the “Connected to Core” section of your Settings/Audio page. That’s the device that you should choose to enable (I’ve renamed mine to “Denon” for obvious reasons):

Yes, have that enabled to — Nucleus HDMI A (ALSA) connected to core.

With fixed volume controlimage

I don’t think that the X4300H has any MQA capability, so I would set that to “No MQA Support”.

And what do you have in the Advanced Settings section?

I have (for my 3808):

On my NUC there were 5 HDMI selections. For my Denon X3400 I selected on the Rock server “HDA Intel PCH HDMI 0” as the output to enable.
Also, I found that when I used one of the AUX HDMI inputs on my Denon I had handshake issues with the NUC. I switched it over to an used HDMI input called DVD (that was meant for audio/video) and the issue went away. But, maybe that’s just my x3400 being picky.

Ok. Got Sound working by switching input to DVD!! Thank you.

Next (new) issue based on DVD on Denon is I see the following on screen. Have you been able to turn off Video from HDMI on your Denon?

Fyi. I also made all settings as per Geoff screenshot above. Thank you!

That stays on the screen. I turn my TV off when using the HDMI zone.

Hoping one of these days we will get some video display with it.