Headphones thread (show us yer cans)! [2018-09]

I’m Sorry DAVE I can’t do that :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

@Steve_Mato - electronics aside (the Mc is sweet), I am more interested in your whips, cables, and connectors. Are these your design?

BTW - I am getting ready to pull the trigger on one of these: https://www.manley.com/hifi/mabhpa

1 Like

I’ll find my DAVE some day
Some day when…:sweat_smile:

Love that Manley! I wish it was at CANJAM NYC this year so I could audition it.

The cables and adapters pictured were purchased (I only made the ones behind the Mac that you can’t see, to go from speaker taps to 1/4 inch female, then from dual 1/4 inch to 4-pin XLR).

I highly recommend the cable. It’s from a US based seller on eBay with the handle lqicables (that starts with an L, not a cap i). Very good product at a great price. You can customize every aspect of the cable/connectors to your desire.

I am not sure if I should recommend the pigtail 4-pin XLR to 2.5mm 4-pole female, which were from another Ebay seller in China. I get hum in the iSines using my WA-22 and even moreso my Mjolnir. Now, that may just be the low 20ish ohm impedance of the iSines. I haven’t stacked a set of alternate adapters however to rule out the pigtail pictured as the culprit. So, ymmv.

@Steve_Mato - thanks for the info. I am beginning to build my own cables and am on the lookout for new approaches to terminations and overall build. I just ordered some parts to build my first USB cables. I am not certain why I haven’t done that before. I want a few quality USB cables that are .2 and .3mm in length. They are hard to find in short length and when I do, they seem a bit overpriced to me. Fortunately in a past life I worked in an R&D lab and was taught how to solder and wire all sorts of things. Interestingly, in my recent experiments to get my skills back up it seems that it’s like riding a bike. You never forget!

Cheers!
Vince

1 Like

@Steve_Mato The cables look nice. I’m guess they are using some type of paracord material over the wires before they braid them. It’s a really good look.

Thanks for sharing!

I wrote about the Benchmark HPA4, based on the same THX technology that’s in the AAA 789, and the DAC3, in this post:

It’s a fascinating combination.

2 Likes

Hey bearFNF

In your opinion, are the Voce e-stats a better AFC or vastly different in sonic traits? Love my AFC.

I need to arrange a demo of the Voce, with suitable energizer.

I’d have to say they are vastly different. Open vs closed, more detailed, better definition.

That being said they are tuned to Mr Speakers (Dans) liking and IMO he did a fantastic job. They are my go to phones for the most part.

1 Like

Latest addition:

The much hyped Sony WH-1000XM3

The sound is very good, the noise cancelling is first rate, comfort is excellent and they play much louder than other Blu-tooth headphones.

4 Likes

Me too. Sold my Senns PXC550 and been missing ANC headphones for commuting. Great headphones indeed :headphones:

3 Likes

Very nice Benchmark HPA4 Anders. The balanced output must drive anything you could put to it.
I have the DAC 3 HGC and it is exceptional as both a DAC, and as a stand alone headphone amp. I use the DAC section to feed another tubed headphone amp. The DAC 3 doesn’t look rich, but it sure sounds great.

What’s in your can collection? Looks like an LCD-? pictured (3, x or 4)

I’m a long term Audeze user, LCD-3, wanted to upgrade and went with the LCD-4z because it is easier to drive and I can use my Hugo 2 when moving about, and in the garden (Roon WiFi to iPad, usb to Hugo). I also have the closed back EL-8 for travel and bedroom.

The 4z is great.

But I felt I wanted to expand my views a bit. Several here speak about Stax, but anything requiring a special amp seems complicated. So I just ordered a Hifiman Susvara.

2 Likes

I have HiFi Man HE-6se. Very power hungry though. Also have LCD-X, HD800, and Ether2 as well. That HPA-4 might be something for me to look at for another system…

After months of deliberation as I don’t use headphones at home more for on the move, I’ve plugged for some Shure se425 iems never had iem before only standard ear buds or full closed. I have the cheapest model of Grado openbacks I’ve had for years but don’t use them as the pads constantly fall off. Will eventually look to get ifi idsd black as well for listening at home.

1 Like

Just picked up a ifi idsd black at AXPONA for my Mr speakers AFC. Liking it so far.

1 Like

I have an old set of SE420s. Never could adjust to something inside the ear canal…

I’ve been really impressed with the “punchiness” of the sound - tight and very solid bass with very good transient response - Just right and not overwhelming.

4 Likes

Me bad could not wait for the Ifi Nano ordered one this morning, arrives tomorrow. Hopefully have the phones by then as well.