Hearing static / crackling sounds constantly while playing music using Roon

Roon Core Machine

Intel NUC i7 10th generation running windows 11 with 32gb ram

Networking Gear & Setup Details

TP link Archer AX6000. Streamer connected via Ethernet. Internet speed 750Mbps

Connected Audio Devices

Bluesound Node (2021) connected to denafrips venus ii 12th anniversary edition external DAC using audioquest carbons usb cable. The DAC is connected to Denon avc x4700h AVR using chord Clearway rca interconnect. The AVR is connected to Emotiva XPA 5 power amplifier using audioquest red river rca interconnect. The speakers are monitor audio silver 6 connected to power amplifier using SVS ultra 12 gauge speaker cables.

Number of Tracks in Library

Only using Tidal for music playback

Description of Issue

I hear crackling / static sounds constantly while playing music from Tidal using Roon. There is no issue while directly playing music from Tidal app through tidal connect.

Hi there from a fellow user.
Maybe show us a screenshot of your signal path, please.
It seems likely, that you’re using a Roon-DSP function that needs headroom adjustment due to causing clipping.
To remedy, enable and adjust headroom as described in Roon’s helpcenter, see screenshot …

… and …

Good luck!

Hi Marin, I tried doing this after your suggestion. The static sounds have reduced. But it is still there. The problem is there only with Roon. Using tidal connect, it is perfect.

Do you see red clipping indications, still?
If so, keep substracting gain in the headroom adjustment field, until clipping is gone!

I’d still like to see screenshots of your signal path and DSP dialogue, also show your device setup selections, please!
Don’t starve us on information, even if you think they’re irrelevant - all these requests have a reason!

I am having the same issue. Just noticed it yesterday then found this thread when searching a solution. However, these solutions in this thread did not work for me. I have no clipping, but I am getting crackling when playing TIDAL tracks through my Zenstream.

Hi, I don’t have any clipping issue. But there is crackling / static sounds only while using Roon. I tried the solution suggested and it is not working for me.

I just restarted all my devices and the issue seems to be gone. \o/ … hopefully that is all it was for me. I would have done this last night but it was 2am when I noticed the issue :smiley:

That’s too bad, but why are you not sharing more information and screenshots to increase the chances to get it fixed?

I have attached the screenshots. Have tried enabling headroom management. But still the static sound is there. The problem is only with Roon. There is no clipping happening. It works really well with Tidal Connect.

Have you had any success yet? I thought my issue had been resolved but its not, it came back. Its random, does it with some tracks sometimes, it might do it with a specific track then not with the same track. Completely random. Also, I turned off all DSP and it was still there. Seems like an issue Roon needs to address after searching and seeing how many ppl are having this problem.

I had no success. The static sounds were too annoying that I stopped using Roon and cancelled the subscription. Playing directly using Tidal connect and BluOS app. This works perfectly for me.

Might this apply?

Hey @Nidhin_Raj,

Sorry to hear you’re experiencing some playback issues while using Roon. If you’d like to continue troubleshooting this issue, I’m sure we can get you set up with a few free days of Roon while we do so.

If you would like to continue troubleshooting, I’d like to first look at simplifying your setup. This would involve stripping back your endpoints and creating a simple connection from your router to your core, to a single endpoint, and test if your issue reoccurs. This way, we’ll be able to see where the issue may lie in your system chain.

Either way, I’ll be on standby for your reply. Thanks! :+1:

Hi Benjamin, I really like using Roon. Mine is a simple setup. Bluesound connected to an external DAC which is connected to preamplifier and amplifier. The static sound comes only with Roon and is very annoying.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know @Nidhin_Raj! I’ll get in touch via private message for next steps. Please keep an eye out for a message from me! :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.