Hegel Roon Ready status statement

What is the much, much more we are owed, beyond the updates? Just a curious H390 owner here.

Actual delivery of the promised functionalityā€¦?

1 Like

Oh yes, I see the distinction there, not.

Looks like Iā€™m picking up a used (just a couple months old) Hegel H190. How does hooking my 2014 MacMini to it work for Roon? USB A ā†’ USB B? Or can I just attach it via ethernet from the network switch?

Itā€™s Roon Ready, so can you attach it to your network and stream to it with Roon.

1 Like

I know, but Iā€™m asking what cable to use. Iā€™m inferring from you response that it would be via ethernet from the Roon Core (MacMini)? Iā€™ve been using a Allo DigiOne Signature as my end point for my Marantz PM7000N.

1 Like

Ethernet, of course, from your network not your Mini.

RoonReady refers to network protocol.

You can also use usb, if that is more convenient to you, but I am not sure if a usb connection to the Hegel will give you full and flawless control. But it will play music.
Technically, using a usb connection doesnā€™t mean itā€™s connected to your network. A usb connection is like a caravan thatā€™s connected to a car: the car is on the network and it carries the caravan along.

1 Like

Perfect. This is the info I was looking for. Blue Jeans ethernet it is. Itā€™s basically plug and play then?

You might have to do an update of your firmware. How to do that is in manual of the Hegel.
But this is only necessary if the Hegel doesnā€™t show up in your available audio devices in Roon. You will have to activate it there, but thatā€™s a process that will explain itself.

1 Like

The guy Iā€™m buying it from already did the update. He had the 190 for a few months and decided to upgrade to a 390. I was going to wait on buying a new amp, but for $3000, I have to jump on it. Especially with how new it is and the transferable warranty.

1 Like

Actually you canā€™tā€¦
Swear that is.
This is not a farcebook forum, it is run and operated by Roon Labs LLC.

I have deleted a few posts as tempers were starting to flare.
Please follow the forum rules and guidelines and letā€™s try to cool it down in here.
Thank you for your patience and understanding

11 Likes

Try Ethernet and the Allo on USB to determine which you prefer.

I know the USB port on the Hegel is limited in what it can handle, so Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll go with ethernet.

Haha, I went that way - sold my H190 to get a H390, but Iā€™m not in the US so I donā€™t think you were my buyer :grin:

You either use ethernet directly to the H190 (the H190 is the Roon endpoint) or usb from your Mac Mini that you use as your Core (Mac Mini is Roon endpoint, my current setup). The difference is that when you use the H190 as endpoint, it will switch on when you start a track on the remote app and you can change volume with it. Great, but not life-changing.

Soundwise I donā€™t think youā€™ll hear any difference (at least I didnā€™t). I believe USB is capped at 192khz hi-res but thatā€™s also inaudible in my opinion.

2 Likes

Almost a monthā€¦

1 Like

I think Anders only said they were closer than a month prior - no timeline or promise.

1 Like

A ā€œmonth priorā€ sounds a lot like a measure of time. I canā€™t see how you get to ā€œno timelineā€ from there. Just sayinā€™.

Seems clear the me.

That statement makes it clear that some incremental progress was made in a month, so I agree with you. Just some more fluff from Hegel.

1 Like