Hegel Roon Ready status statement

What annoys me is that all of us paid top dollars for a unit with the promise of a function and feature that has not been available to us; are we going to see some some of prorated credit for the Roon missing for 2 years now? Because when I bought my H390, I paid to have that enabled. If this was any other company, like Sony or Pioneer, the media would have a field day with this; and trust me, bad publicity isn’t always good publicity. To be honest; I will be reaching out to some HIFI editors that I know personally and make sure that they share with potential Hegel buyers, that the products put out by Hegel are not 100% finished. Seems to be a trend audio world lately; Anthem is also in hot waters for the ARC software not being ready yet even after both AVM 90 and 70 went to market;

4 Likes

Things used to be so easy, stick a couple of mosfets in a box with a transformer and done… now it’s all software driven, and I think traditional manufacturers still have to come to terms with that. You can’t do your own thing anymore, someone upgrades something, and the whole chain needs to update.

2 Likes

Hi All,

First time posting here. I recently bought a used H190 to replace my Musical Fidelity M6i to drive my Dynaudio Contour20’s and I’m one happy camper. I would consider myself a “music first” audiophile and I’ve never enjoyed my music as much as with this setup. I’ve now subscribed to Roon and found this thread searching if Hegels are Roon Ready (using a Bluesound Node 2i so Roon works fine for me, no rush…)

For those who have been waiting for so long for this to happen, I wanted to share link below. As I am in my Roon trial period they send me a lot of emails, and the last one contained this image. If you use your Where is Waldo skills you will see that the Hegel logo is already on there so I think it’s really just around the corner (which you have been hearing for 2 years, I know).

Hang in there folks and give the Hegel crew some slack, I am quite sure their frustration over this exceeds yours!

1 Like

Ok, now we can vent all our rage on the Roon crew :rofl:

I use a Node 2i with no issues at all - you may have a connection / bandwidth problem? I am also using an old Chromecast Audio I had lying around on my 2nd system (toslink into my amp’s dac), Roon works much better than the Qobuz app directly! A 40 euro stop gap solution until Hegel sorts this out for those on the brink of despair :slight_smile:

Strange. I also had a look but didn’t find Hegel in the list :frowning:

It’s on there. Under H for “How’s that happened”?

I miss the days when names made lists / people won prizes for actually achieving something rather than just trying.

Wow, I feel your pain! Been through a few rounds with Bluesound myself (try getting WD MyHome Cloud to work as a NAS with BluOS, I can write a Phd thesis on it) and it’s frustrating when you keep getting the feeling that they are implying the problem is on your end.

Having said that, my Node 2i works like a charm with Roon but it is wired - I’m assuming you have tried that? I always had issues with updates, the Node 2i would freeze completely and it would take hours / days to get it running again until I found out that with an ethernet connection all problems are gone.

I don’t think that is a list of roon ready brands, just ones that you can use with roon (via Chromecast, for example). Marantz is also on there and I don’t think they have any roon ready devices.

It’s hard to determine seeing only part of the e-mail, but If that e-mail was concerning Roon Ready and not just Roon Tested then Roon marketing needs to get their act together.

This is the only list that counts.

I don’t think you understood my post. I’m not saying there isn’t a list of roon ready devices - of course there is - I’m just saying the one a few posts up isn’t it. As you flag, it looks more like the roon tested list.

Do not use WD. ( It does not run MinimServer, which for me is a fundamental requirement.) If you are running an old model cease using it immediately:

You only have two brands of NAS to choose from: QNAP and Synology.

1 Like

I believe you are correct. For Marantz / Denon AV receivers you can only use HDMI, SPDIF, or AirPlay.

If you think about it, you can use Chromecast with ANYTHING.

Thank you!!!

Looks like mine needs to go in the trash as there is no update as of yet for my device.

Here’s the text from the email:

"Roon is built on partnerships

To make all of this possible, we built Roon on a foundation of lasting relationships with our hardware partners. With Roon, you’re always in the company of others.

We work closely with more than 100 manufacturers through the Roon Ready and Roon Tested partner programs. From inexpensive table radios to six-figure super DACs, partner devices cover the whole spectrum of price, performance, and features from the best-known brands in the business.

Today, you can stream to more than 500 Roon Ready and Roon Tested products in the best possible quality."

So, clearly, this email and the list of logo’s about companies they have a “one lasting relationship” with and that are either Roon Ready or Roon tested implies Hegel is a part of that. There is also a button in the email that takes you to the list on the Roon website that - obviously - does not feature Hegel.

My point is that I think they’ve updated the image including brands that are about to be certified (including Marantz?) and then inadvertently already used this in new member emails. It’s proper armchair Sherlock Holmes speculation :slight_smile:

You may well be on to something. Marantz is already Roon Tested but Hegel seems to be a new inclusion. No telling though what level of Roon certification it might be getting (if any).

Roon Tested and Roon Ready should not be compared, they are different in functionality, requirements, amount of customization work and difficulty in achieving certification.

1 Like

I’ll just leave this here.
https://www.hegel.com/en/roon

But then there is this:https://roonlabs.com/hegel