Hi I'm Michael, new Product Manager. Let's Chat!

Couldn’t agree more and to add it would be great if the API was opened up allow more functionality into extensions.

I use random play and Quebot extensions every play session whilst alarm and sharoon get a lot of use too.
Whilst not free rooWatch is a new regular and it would be great if the API provided more ways to access my library, particularly allowing sort by newly added rather than default to alphabetical.

The whole extensions, dietpi, ropiee have added an awful lot to Roon and helped many users get started (including me) so it’s important to recognise this and that the people behind such great work feel “loved”.

.sjb

5 Likes

Nice to meet you Michael and great initiative setting up conversations :+1:

Welcome on board,

anyone who works here will quickly learn that with maybe 250,000 customers, this is a nerdy niche. If only one per thousand of the customers had daily problems or requests, we would have to deal with 250 posts in the community regarding this. In fact, the majority of the post lies in the repeated pleasure of what we just heard.

Unfortunately, in 0.1% of cases there are also violent problems, so that there is a so-called love-hate relationship with the product. You want it (because there is nothing better for your personal needs), but you can not use it in the existing hardware and software solution as 99.9% of satisfied customers. The community helps a lot, but a few stubborn corners are not yet properly polished even in this diamond.

Here, in addition to product management, management in support must be further expanded independently of the community in terms of personnel in the 24-hour range and a 7-day week. If you are quick in response, you can create another 25 happy customers every day.

Personally, the flexibility that a Foobar2000 offers in many respects (tagging, skin, components…) is an obstacle for me to use only Roon for my love of music. The things I can do there very easily, I would like to do so in Roon.

Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (free version)

4 Likes

Welcome! Roon was the catalyst for me to significantly upgrade my entire system. I have 50k+ songs now - maybe 7k local. I listen daily and host regular 4-hour Boy’s Nights where 2 others submit a list of songs which I collate on Roon. Music is focused mostly on new/undiscovered artists, and secondly to the familiar. I curate 7 or more artist photos for each song, and everything is Chromecast to a HD TV in my Music Room. So the video experience is as important as the audio.

The user interface, sound quality, Chromecast display are all equally important, but dependability is the key. That’s the rub when you’re always working to improve your product.

It is also why Roon’s Customer Service should be better defined. You never know when/if a problem raised is going to generate a response. Chromecast was down/undependable for me for many months after the December release. Finally, the latest release solved much of the issue, but the Chromecat Now Playing photo gallery scroll still does not work as it should. I’ve raised the issue. The same release is also crashing quite frequently and needs attention. I don’t know if this is a known problem and being addressed or not. Periodically communicating known issues and what Roon is working on near and longer term would be very helpful, productive and reassuring.

I have uploaded and ‘fixed’ thousands of Valence artist photos for Roon and the Community. I understand how Roon wants to mob-source photos and labor to expand and improve available artist photo selection. Will the Valence staging library be available ongoing? For me, its a great source for populating the 7+ photos I edit into each artist album.

I do wish Roon would also let us know it will always be looking to improve audio quality. I believe Roon has made good decisions about improving user interface, Chromecast, photo gallery, radio, etc, but it’s also time to reassert audio-quality leadership.

Thanks for listening. Hope this is helpful.

Bruce

I’m also a Beta tester, but I’m learning that doesn’t necessarily mean I will Beta everything. That’s fine.

1 Like

I have a 2017 MacBook Pro and Roon runs fine on it. But I saw some folks on the Facebook group saying it crashes on M1 Macs. Weird.

Exactly this. I have heard folk say that albums in the queue behave like a collection of tracks and so deletion of an album is not possible, however, the album is added all in one go, so it can’t be that difficult for it to be removed all in one go too!

1 Like

I had this happen when I added a cd under Various artists, instead of I cd with 18 tracks I had 18 cd’s each with 1 track. I then had to delete 18cd’s or try to merge them, I deleted them from the database as it was quicker. My core runs on a Windows 11 machine so it’s not just an Apple problem

Bem-vindo e boa sorte em seu novo trabalho!

Agreed, dont know where I would be without Ropieee. Same for the other devs these additions fill the gaps and spread Roon to a larger eco system with amazing support because they love this product.

Also @michael please please, invest in Roons support infrastructure, you team are lovely but overwhelmed and appear to be well under resourced, even more so with the recent release schedule. It does seem to rely more heavily on forum members filling in the gaps which given Roons premium price is less than premium and this is not going unnoticed, your loosing iots of customers due to this especially potentially new ones.

7 Likes

Hi Michael, good to see this thread from you. Personally, I spend more time with Roon than on the community but just popped in to say that I’m loving the new Roon playlists, especially Sarah Stuart’s. This is the direction that interests me most.

2 Likes

Here I fully agree.

For me, Ropieee is a fundamental part of my home audio system. I probably wouldn’t bother using Roon much if Ropieee wasn’t available. So yes, please support the network.

5 Likes

Great to see your commitment @michael ! Right now you have the chance to see & experience Roon from a not too „internal team view“.
Thus as you might also have experienced and what many, many threads are about: playlists is an area that got neglected for quite some time.
And there are also general usability flaws that users from other apps get immediately distracted when using Roon like After lockscreen loosing position in playlists on iOS

And as a product manager of course you know it’s about improving things but also assuring stability for users. In that regard for QNAP users having to deal for months (!) with a highly annoying bug like QNAP - Not Showing Local Folders Anymore [See Staff Post - Guest Access Temporarily Resolves - Ongoing Investigation] is not the signal you want to send to existing customers nor to people interested in using Roon.

1 Like

Wow, great that you’ve opened your Calendly! Unfortunately, I don’t have availability to match.

My #1 reason for yearly subscribing is for the context Roon provides to my Tidal (I joined/stay with TIDAL over others, because of Roon) collection and my Core collection. I love reading about my artists, love how Roon Radio can pick other artists based on who I like; love that I can search on producers, songwriters, etc. based on listening to one track. From watching the Roon YT vids, seems like there is a lot of functionality I’m not, yet, using, too.

My #1 Product wish is that I could take all of that mobile, with my phone. I find having to duplicate playlists etc. in Tidal, that I’ve spent time on in Roon to be almost a deal-breaker. I’m still not clear, on which is TIDAL and which ROON when in the desktop application. I don’t spend that much time in Roon; but when I do, I’d like to be able to use what I’ve built elsewhere, use it with mobility.

Also the UI, I get very confused as to what is TIDAL centric and what is ROON centric, and what is where?

I am not a power user; just a basic music listener that really likes all the context and indexing power Roon provides to all of my music (while I’m at my computer).

Thanks for the ear, Michael!

2 Likes

Hi Michael, and congratulations on the position!

I’m a new user, still in my free trial in fact, but I have decided to go ahead and let the paid subscription happen. I haven’t run into any UI concerns after taking short time to get used to the product, but I do have concerns that others have shared but will reiterate here.

1. Mobile use
This was almost a dealbreaker for me. I managed to get around it, but it would be nice to have some proper support for connecting to a Core via the Internet. I’m going to be using Roon mostly at home, but when out and about with my Android phone or on business trips with my laptop I’d rather not have to fall back to another solution, especially given how much I like this one otherwise. Since I can work around this with a VPN, I’m going to stick around, but this does make it much harder to recommend the service to others.

2. Improved Android support
It works and since I’m usually using Bluetooth with the phone this isn’t a dealbreaker, but I do also sometimes want to plug a USB DAC into my phone for some more proper listening. A link to a thread about this is already here so I won’t go deep into it. It really does seem to me that this should be a fairly high priority with how much interest I see around in getting high quality audio out of Android devices.

Other than these things, I’m really quite happy with Roon, and am looking forward to building out some more related infrastructure at home and leaning more about the product in general. I’d just like to see some better support for when I’m not at home, or for when I just want to use my portable rig.

Thanks for reading and good luck with the job!

2 Likes

I can’t tele-conference (no ability to); however, I would like to see remote streaming (/transcoding).

Hello @michael ,

the main benefit for me in using Roon is the support in finding new music I like and wouldn’t have detetected without the help of Roon. I have expierenced hours of enjoying music - really very worthwhile.

On the other side - and as many have pointed out - I also have the strong feeling that Roon should improve the stability of the product and increase the support level of the customer service.

To give you an example: I used Roon for appr. three years on my QNAP and it was never stable, just have a look at: Roon stopping randomly

I didn’t believe in hardware issues (as support claimed), nevertheless I followed the hint of the support and changed the hardware, means: I moved to Rock running on a NUC end of last year, since then: different problems but still not reliable, just have a look at: Roon on NUC10i7 with Rock (227) crashes immediately when playing any track

To my opionion a better software quality of Roon and a higher service level of support would also increase sales! Reference selling can contribute significantly in increasing numer of users; I know many people with very decent stereo systems (owning myself a high end system from LINN) but cannot and did not recommend Roon to anybody …

Cheers
Frank

Hallo Michael
on my extern hard disk exists more than 1600 Alben.
But after starting ROON there appears only 3 one.
My system is macOS 12.3.1 with Devialet expert 440.
How can I delete this mistake?

Best regards
Ernst

Open a thread in the support area.

1 Like

Hello @michael and welcome!

The two big ones for me are:

1. Better understanding of Classical music. Until Roon knows if a each piece can be classified as a sonata, a string quartet, a symphony, a cantata, and what instrument is featured, using it for classical music will always be hit or miss. I realize this is a big “ask” as to metadata, and Roon may not really care about making its Classical support excellent, as we are a small fragment of the market.

2. Better DSP changes. The screens and methods for saved settings are a bit opaque. In particular, why isn’t the saved name shown when saving (like saving a file)? More importantly, it would be helpful to be able to switch DSP actions on and off with one click and to have them take effect with much less disruption to the music.

3 Likes