Hi-Res Songs Skipping, 3 times over 3 hours

Same issue with Qobuz.

I subscribe to both Tidal and Qobuz. The highest available streaming quality is selected.

I have Windows 10 laptop with solid symmetrical Gigabit FiOS service connected with ethernet with all speed tests indicating low latency and great throughput. The laptop is updated daily and is used as a dedicated Roon core. CPU is i5-8250U and there is 16GB of RAM. Restart/shutdown daily.

No other issues with the network or laptop outside of this skipping Qobuz thing that started immediately after the 1.7 update.

So far Tidal has not skipped. The last Qobuz song that skipped was a 24/96 format. I’ll update if it occurs again and see if the format is the same. This is not frequent, but I recall it happening at least 3 times in the last 3 hours.

Just a couple more clarifying questions, thanks for the details you provided!

Does this happen when you’re playing to System Output with no DSP applied?
Have you experienced any other skipping with different resolutions in Qobuz?
Are you able to replay songs that skip if you skip back to the beginning of that song?

I only use an RME ADI-2 DAC with USB. When I look at Zones, only the RME ADI-2 DAC ASIO is checked and playing, but I do see System Output with a different song listed, though it is not playing.

Here are the setups for both.

System Output:

Private Zone: No

Volume Control: Fixed Volume

Resync Delay: 0ms

Max Bits Per Sample: 24

Zone Grouping Delay: 0.00

Enable MQA Core Decoder: Yes

Force Max Volume at Playback Start: No

Multichannel Mixing: Downmix As Needed

Device Setup: RME ADI-2 DAC ASIO

DSD Playback Strategy: Native

MQA Capabilities: Renderer Only

Volume Control: Fixed Volume

Volume Limits: Volume is Fixed

Resync Delay: 0ms

Max Sample Rate (PCM): Up to 768kHz

Max Bits Per Sample (PCM): 32

Max Sample Rate (DSD): Up to DSD256

Zone Grouping Delay: 0.00

Clock Master Priority: Default

Enable MQA Core Decoder: Yes

Use Maximum Buffer Size: No

Use Power-of-2 Buffer Sizes: No

Channel Layout: 2.0

Multichannel Mixing: Downmix As Needed

I think I had my first observable skip with Tidal, an MQA 24/48 decoded to 24/96 by Roon’s decoder.

So far I have been able to restart any song that skips and it has played to the end successfully.

I am almost exclusively streaming Tidal and Qobuz from my Roon library. My local library is about 20 ripped CDs located on the same laptop used as the Roon core. I typically just shuffle from the Albums section, and I always see a mix of Local, Tidal, and Qobuz songs playing. I have about 4000 albums with 54K tracks, though quite a few are duplicates between Qobuz and Tidal and the Albums section shows about 3000 total.

I read up a bit on Zones and was able to disable System Output so that now only the RME DAC is active.

Hi @EclecticallyDistinct,

As a test, it would definitely be good to know if this behavior occurs when playing to System Output. If it does, please make a note of the time in your local timezone that it happens and we can enable diagnostics and take a look.

Thanks!

11:20am ET with a Qobuz 24/96 track that my OS Mixer downconverts to 24/41. Skipped just like always has been. I was able to immediately go back and play the track in its entirety.

Thanks for the update, @EclecticallyDistinct.

As a test, can you try lowering Qobuz quality settings in Roon and let us know if that changes anything here?

Hey @EclecticallyDistinct,

We just released Build 505 with some changes that we think will help here. Can you give it a shot and let us know how things are going?

Thanks!

More details are here:

I think that logging off and then back on again with my Tidal and Qobuz accounts may have resolved the issue I was having prior to the latest update to 1.7 (Build 505). I was still undergoing testing when the new build was released, but until then it was working for about 2 hours without any issues.

Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.