Hi-res with Sonos S2

This is interesting… Hires and IPad and Apple. We are still on the Same Planet?
Michael

Qobuz to sonos port to arcam rdac to quad 66/606 to B&W805s

this sounds really good using S1. Not quite as good as CDs to Oppo 205 to quad 66/606 to B&W805s, so:

Q1/ would I get any streaming SQ improvement upgrading to S2
Q2/ would I get any streaming SQ improvement upgrading to roon

If anyone can help an S2 and/or Roon novice, then many thanks in advance

Q1 I recently ‘upgraded’ to S2 and noted no SQ improvement via Sonos App/Mesh Streaming, nor via Roon protocol.

Q2 I can’t say that I notice any SQ improvement using Roon with Sonos vs using Sonos with Sonos (Roon streams via Sonos streaming anyway so I believe it should be the same), however, since starting to use Roon I have not used the Sonos app at all, whether that’s worth anything to you.

Thanks Red R. It does seem that Sonos S2 is future proofing rather upgrading streaming SQ now.

Sonos app rocks for the family, so won’t switch to Roon at present, for fear of rocking domestic bliss :slight_smile:

Have any of you experienced either of these issues:

1. if you add a new sonos zone to an already playing Sonos zone within Roon, it pauses playback momentarily before resuming in both zones?
  2. If you use Roon to ungroup Sonos zones/endpoints that are grouped together within Roon, it doesn’t actually stop playing in the ungrouped zone, though it looks in the interface like it does? So in my experience, you have to go into Sonos to stop playback in the “rogue” zone, or else start something new from within Roon and then pause that
  3. If you use the Sonos app to group or ungroup zones (to avoid #1 or 2 above), the changes you make are not reflected in the Roon interface
  4. [much more minor bug] if you are playing in a zone using the Sonos app (or Tidal connect or Spotify connect), Roon is not aware that that endpoint is “busy” - unless Roon starts or stops the content, it’s not aware of the activity on the endpoint

It looks like someone else has already experienced #2:

I guess my expectation/hope is that there would be somewhat tighter bidirectional sync. I get that Roon will never be able to understand what exactly is streaming in a zone when it is not creating the content/didn’t start it, but controls working positively, and some awareness of whether a zone is busy or not and better / more ‘native’ group/ungroup behaviour seems desirable. Tidal and Spotify have achieved this on iOS through popping open the S2 app when you want to change grouping, which to me seems worth it if the grouping itself works better. But I don’t know what Sonos makes available.

Hello @Johnny_Ooooops yes to all the above to some extent.

Especially 1 which I just did when I unlinked the kitchen speakers, only lasts a second or so but is a bit annoying. I always assume it has something to do with DSP as that change has exactly the same impact.
No 3 is also a bit annoying, as I wish the integration was a bit more seamless as well.
Still it does work very well given that it is using an alian API

Regards

Mike

Hi all on this thread, and @Michael_Harris

I posted a feature request on this set of topics in case others are interested in supporting:

Thanks!