High resolution audio from Amazon

I completely agree with you. That said I cannot stand Tidal, I encounter constant bugs with the Android App. I open a ticket and provide them with evidence showing even the most basic functions like Random not working and it takes them months to resolve.

Agreed. I donā€™t think Tidal is any better, or a saint. Their privacy policy is actually pretty bad. In that regard Amazon may even be better. And from a User perspective the product looks pretty good.

Agreed, but if consumers cared about music they should never have allowed streaming to become a thing. As a collective weā€™ve made it very hard for musicians to earn a viable living (yes, there are exceptions).

3 Likes

Google and Amazonā€™s ecosystems have a history of not supporting each other on purpose. That being said Google stopped making the Chromecast Audio and Amazon has recently started shipping the Echo Link network endpoint; that has both Toslink and Coax Digital Out so it can feed a different DAC.

Does roon support echo link?

1 Like

What would they possibly stand to gain other than a bunch of noisy demanding curmudgeons making incessant demands for new features, enhancements, bug fixes and additional integrations. :joy:

2 Likes

Didnā€™t expect the announcement to have it released same day. With Qobuz, they had so many delays and still in beta.

Now to see how it compares to Qobuz. And itā€™s less than half the price as a prime member.

Just noticed David Bowie in 192k vs 96k on Qobuz.

Edit. Mobile iPhone app is having issues with my Chord Hugo. Everything is lit up blue for 192k. You can see what actual output should be clicking on HD Ultra badge.

David Bowie does show it should be 192k. I posted elsewhere that thought Tool was in 192k too. Itā€™s 96k.

This for offline playback via their app or to keep and playback however you please? If the latter itā€™d kill cd sales overnight.

As long it is not ā€˜upsampledā€™ from 96kHz it would be wonderfull.
At least for you as I have no access.
So Qobuz is my Play.
Dirk

There is no soundcard interface selection dialog. You might be able to install ASIO4All as your default windows driver and do it that way? Iā€™ll have to try.

Decisions decisions!! I can see myself finally cutting back on the # of music services I have if Roon integrates Amazon music HD into its service. Iā€™d probably drop Tidal and Spotify, but possibly keep Qobuz for the occasional FLAC purchase for my local library. Iā€™m going to test drive Amazon Music HD during the free trial, but will likely hold off on a switch until a) more is known about the quality of the music and b) until I know Roon supports it.

To me this isnā€™t simply an ask to just add support for another service. Itā€™s a short hop from existing Amazon prime membership to this. So it makes sense.

1 Like

Is anyone having problems with the Windows app turning off ā€œHDā€. I previously had the Windows Store version installed. I uninstalled and downloaded directly from Amazon. On first launch I get the yellow HD and Ultra HD playlists. I exit app and relaunch and there is no yellow HD and no Ultra HD playlists? The only way to restore is to keep reinstalling the app. Clearly a bug here?

WRT to Qubuz, you can buy digital downloads without having an active streaming account.

The Amazon HD move is good for Roon. The more music services they can integrate the more subscriptions they will get.
I suspect that we will see Spotify and possible Apple enter the fray.

I would think Amazon would be more willing to allow integration with Roon than those stubborn fools at Spotify.

Yes, but with the top streaming option you get huge discounts on downloads, worth it if youā€™re building a hi-res library.

2 Likes

Damn it sounds good. Listening to tracks that are 16/44 on Tidal and they are 24/44 on Amazon.

Much better sound on Amazon which it should be with the bitrate increase.

FWIW, Amazon has an event on the September 25th that will largely focus on Echo. i would not be surprised if there were some new devices announced that could take better advantage of HD music.

True, as far as it goes.

Amazon is famous, like Microsoft, for gobbling up smaller companies to increase their (Amazonā€™s) market reach.

Assuming the Roon bureaucracy would stay in place, such an acquisition would only be for the good of all.

I canā€™t see Roon being attractive to Amazon, strategically thereā€™s nothing to gain. Market share for them is streaming, not software.

As a front end to streaming, Roon canā€™t be beat. Why would Amazon want to roll their own?