High resolution audio from Amazon

Agreed, Roon’s a market leader.

They already have. They don’t need Roon to succeed in attracting customers. Additionally, Roon is a niche product, Amazon is a mass marketer on a global scale.

'Cause they already have? Looks like it will incorporate your local library, too.

Well, 100,000+ built-in users is nothing to ignore, even for Amazon.

OK, let me put it this way. There’s as much chance of Amazon buying Roon as there is of Amazon letting Roon stream their portfolio, in spite of what people may fantasize about.

1 Like

Is that even a percentage point of their existing customer base?

What does Amazon stand to lose? I don’t think they’d care that they’d be the faceless infrastructure collecting the subscription. If, however, their plan is to insert advertising into their streaming offerings through their own front end then agreed, they may have no interest in accommodating other business partners.

Not exactly global coverage.
It will be available in the US, UK, Germany, and Japan.

For the moment, over time that’ll change to incorporate every country they do business in.

Sorry, I find your responses conflicting and illogical.

You’re free to express your views, but it would perhaps be more informative to explain why. They’re not contradictory, they’re aligned.

I just started the trial and stepped outside of Roon source on my Blusound 2i Node to the Amazon Music source. I am now able to successfully stream tracks in what they call “Ultra HD” from their library. In the Blusound app it shows as “HR”. No POV on SQ yet.

1 Like

Playing HD and Ultra HD via my Node 2. Nice upgrade and sounds as good as Tidal or Qobuz. Great Radio selections and playlists to.

1 Like

On the one hand, you argue that Amazon wouldn’t be interested in buying Roon because their business is streaming. OK.

Then the argument is that Amazon would be interested in opening up their streaming library to advance Roon’s business because “What does Amazon stand to lose?”

Not aligned, but maybe not conflicting.

The point I’m making is that if it’s no biggie (negligible cost, easily maintained and not getting in the way of other things they may like to control through their own front-end) for Amazon to enable Roon integration there’s nothing to lose - end of the day they still get their subscription. On the other hand, I could not see Roon (the product) or Roon’s customer base being of strategic importance to Amazon’s streaming business model.

1 Like

Likely the biggest markets for HD audio, I imagine they would have done their research and planned it accordingly adding in other countries as and if it does well.

Well, it seems to be a biggie to Spotify or Pandora.

I’m guessing it would be to Amazon also, but whatever.

Amazon started its own shipping business because they didn’t like the rates they were getting from UPS and because Trump tried to bully them over the USPS rates. I can’t see Amazon doing Roon the favor of opening up their streaming portfolio unless there was something major in it for them.

Anyway, it won’t be answered by you or me.

Spotify and Pandora only have one product and they try to differentiate their offering through their front end and the experience it offers their users. Amazon doesn’t need streaming to survive, at all.

Agreed.

NOT downloading like HDTracks…just tracks you can listen to when offline

Yeh, that would’ve been too good to be true and undermine the business model - keep the tunes streaming only and force the subscribers to keep coming back.

I really hope they buy Roon or Roon incorporates the service somehow because the Amazon UI/App for the service is the pits.

1 Like

And could this be the start of Amazon selling Hi Res FLAC files for offline play?

2 Likes

I really hope not!

3 Likes