HighResAudio as a Roon service

Frank, thank you for your comment!
It is highly disappointing that ROON has a category “Feature Request” but only rarely and with huge time-lag is responding to suggestions.
Have the feeling that I send suggestions to the MOON and clients are not really taken serious! At least a short recognition with a priority-ranking would be a sign of will for communication and respect.
#support #roon

2 Likes

Add to that the fact that HRA had already expressed its full intent to be Roon-integrated, including a commitment to provide whatever metadata necessary. So I have no idea what the problem is here.

3 Likes

Bump this thread. HIRESAUDIO integration please!

1 Like

I join the party asking for HRA integration.
I think there has been some discussion already. Results unknown.

2 Likes

Hello ROON??? You let discuss your clients back and forth but NO recognition by the ROON-Team.
My overall experience within the last months: Posting issues and request to ROON is like writing to the moon.
I have full understanding that after a new release the “hotlines” are busy for a few weeks. But ROON also shall take care on their community!
I would like to see not just comments of the support-staff but also comments from the MANAGEMENT!

So my question to the Management of ROON: Is it true, that it is a “political issue” that you never want to integrate HRA into ROON and leave out true best quality?

How @ROON is responsible for Product Development?

Kind regards
Felix

@support

4 Likes

Maybe @danny can shed some light into this.
Highresaudio has truely a great standing for their certified and I can see why many would love to see this integrated for years.

2 Likes

Yes, I don´t understand the silence of @danny & Co. It would be great to get an update about the integration efforts of both parties. So we would know about the chance to use HighResAudio in Roon. We customers deserve a statement.
Thanks in advance
Frank

In May of 2019 I wrote in this thread:
I have spoken with a guy from HRA some days ago. He said, that Roon has promised the integration twice but nothing is happens: “Roon has had our API and documentation since 2017. We have been promised many times that we will be integrated into roon. Unfortunately only empty promises.”

I don´t understand this hanging game without transparency. I only ask for helpful clarification.
Best
Frank

1 Like

One thing that stands out there is Roon doesn’t use APis for integration it’s far more advanced than that they require the provider to give them full database dumps amongst other things. Sending an API isn’t going to give them what they need. This has been explained many times by Danny if the service cannot provide what Roon needs for its integration then it’s a non starter. Same reason why we currently have no Deezer or other services. If it’s a work in progress then nda’s etc will prevent Roon from saying anything until it’s ready. They don’t really comment on things like this until they are ready for launch.

2 Likes

Integration of too many services may cause more difficulties in bugs finding and fixing, system instability and increase pressure on support, probably more streaming services may not possible with major expansion in Roon Team, maybe.

Another thing is it has to be financially worth Roon investing. You have to ask what is HiRes Audio streaming service availability in other regions. This will greatly affect any proposition. Looking at it it’s limited to the EU and the UK, having no presence in the US is a major drawback.

Their catalogue is extremely slim the last time I checked. I dont see the value add.

Sorry; but If Roon does not think the EU+UK+EFTA is a sizeable market, then it should stop being an ongoing business concern. HRA Streaming has already stated it would provide everything asked of them, and their catalog, though not huge, is big enough particularly for classical music, plus the added bonus of having REALLY hi-res content as opposed to just accepting lower grade re-sampled music.

Roon has access to that market and more with existing providers. The enhanced content HRA has is tiny. The question is how many new Roon users would HRA bring to justify the investment involved in integrating them. The answer is “not enough”.

1 Like

What an incredibly short-sighted view - if that is the case, then Tidal would be enough since Qobuz is also very limited as far as countries are concerned. Not to mention that integrating additional services gives Roon more enduring value for customers using more than the two existing streaming services, thereby incentivizing them to continue as subscribers.

And no, the investment needed to integrate another service when most of the data is being provided by the streaming service itself cannot be that prohibitive.

The whole question is about what Roon sees as its mission and they don’t make a secret about it :slight_smile:
If a part of the library of HRA does not overlap AND is of high quality, it may be interesting to Roon to add it.
Taking a step back from the discussion, or taking the comment by ricgf a bit further, it must be that Roon is under pressure to add support for more streaming providers simply to keep competing with/ahead of the BluOS app and the likes.

Is it short sighted though? It is simple economics. HRA is niche and might simply fail to justify the outlay in terms of time and cost. There are better ways to spend that time and money now in my opinion. Even integration of another service with broader appeal like Deezer would be ahead of HRA.

1 Like

It is not: Roon has been very good in restricting what it tries to do, but do whatever it does pretty good. Selecting what to do and carefully reviewing reasons what not to buy must be an important topic for Roon. We can only guess to what extend the effort to put into adding a provider like HDR pays off for Roon.

Thank you all very much for sharing your ideas and opinions on that issue!
There is just ONE contributor still missing: This is @danny from ROON or ROON respectively.
Why ROON is silent and ignores it’s users?
I also would love to hear from ROON’s CEO, Enno Vandermeer in this community occasionally!

But back to the issue of High-Res-Audio: All large streaming providers will push towards HiFi in some kind and will enhance their Apps too. They will become “Roon-alike” for many listeners. So in the long run: WHY to pay for two subscriptions? This only makes sense, if ROON continues to be an integrator for ALL high-end requests. Currently the performance of the 1.8 (still a lot of bugs) as well as the support is poor and not worth the money anymore. I expect strong IMPROVEMENT by ROON and I hope this message is understood. I want to downgrade to the last version of 1.7, but no respective download has been provided to me yet.
When I have audiophile friends with me for listening and the ROON-system even cannot stream smoothly, stops and skips unexpectedly, the search function is misleading etc.: How can I convince anyone to use ROON and to grow the community? It’s a mission impossible for the time being…

Felix

1 Like

Is there still a guy @danny with Roon?