Holo Audio Red Streamer/DDC

My HoloAudio Red arrived four days ago. I stress that it was purchased for personal use as I do sell entry, mid and high-level streamers, therefore I will not make an official comparison to certain brands.

However, I will make these comments:

First impression is that it has a very low noise floor, which leads to a clean sound. I bought it because I wanted a streamer with an I2S output (so I can put away my DDC’s) and is HQP NAA capable. All of the outputs sound good so it should satisfy most users.

The set up menu is found by entering it’s IP address. There are DIP switches on the bottom of the unit. The official manual is still being edited but I did receive a preliminary copy from Kitsune which goes into better detail.

4 Likes

If someone uses the Red with Holo dac as an NAA bridge, could you test this one thing. If you use the USB output to Holo DAC, does Red lose the USB input completely if you turn the DAC on/off? Or can you switch gear on/off and switch DAC inputs as you please and Red (with NAA) always finds the connected DAC with no hiccups?

I ask this because with iFi Zen Stream as NAA, I always need to reboot it if I switch DAC on/off OR if I have switched the input of the DAC while music is still playing. It’s annoying and there are other occasions also when I need to reboot the ZS. Otherwise ZS works great and sounds great though. Thanks!

Head-Fi have a long thread, worth checking it out.

Lots of HQ player Holored chat.

1 Like

You mean Head-Fi? I already follow that thread.

Yes, Apple auto corrected my message.

Does anyone know…does the I2S output in the PSAudio format ?

Yes, that is the default Holo uses.

Almost ordered one. Kitsune says 4-6 weeks plus a week shipping so say two months to delivery. I don’t think I will give them my money and wait two months for the product. They have a North American monopoly and very dodgy business practices. I think not.

1 Like

That wasn’t my experience. The Holo’s dip switch settings had to bE changed to ALT2 to work with my PSA DAC. It comes in ALT0 mode

As a 4x Kitsune Holo customer: Holo gear is build on demand, thus the delay. I’ve always got what I ordered within the window they gave, and its quality and reliability have always been top-notch.

3 Likes

OK, my DAC was ex demo. My Red was new and plugged in and worked. I use a PS Audio source which worked OK without me touching anything but I guess I will check.

1 Like

That makes sense

How are updates to the device done? manually? what is the process?

You enter the Red IP address in your browser and the Red set up page will open.
The update button is at the very bottom of the page.
If there is an update to the OS a “New” button will be at the bottom of the page.
When I first updated the OS on my Red, I had to hit the New button 3 times.
There were 3 sequential updates to perform, then the New button disappeared.

thank you The manual talks about using the SD card and the new button. I was not sure if one was for code and the other for OS…

Kitsune may or may not have a monopoly, but they do not have “very dodgy business practices”.

4 Likes

Measurements.

5 Likes

Hi,

I was hoping that you would expand a little on both of these statements. I imagine there’s several people interested and these statements have to be concerning to us.

Thanks.

Ha.

I was trying to make a simple grammatical correction by adding a word, and I wound up deleting my entire post. Anyway, here it is again:

Kitsune is a very trustworthy and honorable company, and their customer service is as good as it gets.

3 Likes

I pulled the trigger on one of these today. Last upgrade for a bit. :upside_down_face:

Edit: and I like the red.

I chose this as it has more functionality than the project stream box, aesthetics are much better than ifi and less expesive than lumin.

4 Likes