Holo Audio Red Streamer/DDC

I ordered one (last week) as well. Now to see how long it takes to get it….

1 Like

Be prepared to wait. I ordered one to use with a headphone rig on Jan 22nd. Still no updates. I have heard it’s a seven week or so wait.

2 Likes

I got mine yesterday and my initial impression is that my speakers (Buchart S400 Signature) got alot more snappier and spacious!

2 Likes

It would be interesting if someone could compare the Red to a SOtM sms200 (Neo or Ultra Neo) powered by a LPSU

3 Likes

Please keep me posted when you gets yours just to give me an idea of wait time.

1 Like

Just got my Holo Red from Magna Hifi. Took a week from order to being in my hands in UK, even with Brexit! (Pleasantly surprised with the ease of the customs/tax clearance & fees with DPD. Which was a relief).

Interested to get your thoughts, @Henry_McLeod in particular, on which OS is preferred in terms of sound quality?

On my RPi 4 streamer, with Ian Canada Transport Digi to iFi DSD Dac, I use PiCorePlayer with soundcheck’s sKit tuning. This sounds great to my ears through my office desk system so I’d be keen to use it with the Red.

Does anyone use pCP on the CM4 module with USB output? That’s a second question I guess.

The Red is for my main living room system (Antipodes DS running Roon) and mostly will be used as DDC feeding Metrum Onyx DAC via I2S or USB although I can use AES. I’d like to have Streamer facility too (future or alternate use).

Thoughts, experiences and comments much appreciated.
Thanks

I began by putting all of the potential OS’s I was interested in on the Red. But once I confirmed they all worked I went back to the Red OS and have simply stuck with that since. I have a couple of things to resolve on my system. New power amplification and possible HQPlayer integration. Once I’ve settled on the new setup I’ll cycle through again and make a permanent choice.

Wow. Much faster than all that have ordered in the States. Here is hoping they come our way just as quickly.

Thanks Henry that’s really helpful.

I’ve just got the Red up and running as a streamer - no dramas using Squeeze or Roon bridge. Using the standard Red OS and seems to work pretty much out of the box. Sound pretty good too.

I went through the whole amplification chain a few years ago and ended up building a Pass Labs DIY B3 pre and F5 power amp. They are great. Also recently picked up an Audiolab 8200P with a view to upgrading the main caps and the opamps but enthusiasm is a bit low for that at the mo.

Will be interested to hear how you go with HQ Player. I dabbled with it a few yrs ago (& liked it) but prefer to have something set & left to play. It may have developed considerably since then of course.

Thanks

I have found an HQPlayer setup that works extremely well for all of the music I listen to on a regular basis. So I don’t makes changes and just leave the Roon and HQPlayer settings alone and just play music. I am quite content!!

Here are my settings for use with my Holo Audio May KTE DAC:

SDM Integrator: FIR2
SDM Conversion: XFi
48K DSD: Checked
DAC Bits: 20
Default Output Mode: SDM (DSD)
SDM Defaults:
1x = poly-sinc-gauss-xla
Nx = poly-sinc-gauss-hires-lp
Modulator: ASDM7ECv2
Bit rate: 48K x 256
Multicore DSP: Greyed
Adaptive output rate: Checked

5 Likes

My Red arrived today. It’s replacing a dead ultraRendu. It took a total of five minutes from unboxing, upgrading, and getting Roon playing to my TA-ZH1ES. So far so good. I don’t have time to listen to it right now, I will later on tonight.

Typical great Holo build. The fit and finish reminds me of the KTE SU-2.

4 Likes

Is anyone having issues getting the latest update?

The Red is indicating there’s an update but nothing is updating when I press the button.

I have rebooted - no change.
I have power cycled - no change.

I am getting the same issue. There may be a problem with their server so I will try again tomorrow.

1 Like

The update went through today.

2 Likes

Hi, Just a quick opinion.
I own a Holo May KTE, do I need the Holo Red to use it as a DDC?
I’ve read that when the PLL is ON on the May, everything is at the highest level.
I am using my laptop and connect it via USB to my May Kte.
I was planning to add Holo Red and use I2S port to my May Kte.
What do May Kte and the Holo Red holders think?
Thank you

The PLL is essentially there to compensate for bad sources and the Red is not a bad source. If you upsample or used a fixed bit rate then leave PLL on and the worst you get is a second or two off the first track. Once locked it just plays. If you have different rates then turn PLL off.

I would use the USB out of the Red to connect to the May KTE. The USB in on the May is incredible…

1 Like

I don’t disagree. But i2S is its equal in all but the ability to achieve DSD1024. And I think regardless of inputs used the Red is superior to a laptop.

The May KTE clock is better than the Red clock so why use I2s from the Red? Using USB with the May KTE you have to deal with PLL issues and USB sounds as good or maybe just a bit better.

1 Like

Is there a reason why you are not using the streamer functions inside the Red? I am sure it will sound better than your laptop… I use it as an NAA endpoint but it functions extremely well with its other options.