Horizontal scrolling [not on roadmap]

You are right, it’s not 100% perfect. I tried in Artists (round photos) and History (tracks list) and it over scrolls a few percent on the iMac I’m using right now meaning that I “miss” 50% of one track and maybe 20% of one artist. I would say that it’s a bug.

Shame. On my Windows lap top the track overshoot is 2 to 3 tracks depending on view. Easier just to scroll.

Circles actually works better for me. The overlap errors take more page taps before it becomes annoying. But I don’t use the artist page anymore for the other reasons posted about that view on other threads. So it doesn’t really matter much to me personally if that view is scrolled or paged but that would be off topic.

See - I thought 1.8 was “all about you”!

but worse for horizontal screens?

Say some, others are perfectly happy with vertical on larger screens - you cannot make declarative statements that there is nothing better than horizontal.

As I’ve said before, if anything vertical is more logical - we all vertically scroll on (most) other apps on the same large screen, so its always been a bit jarring to me that you suddenly have to do it differently when you switch to Roon (on the same large screen).

At least now its consistent.

Thanks for reiterating my plight, @Tony_Casey ! Of course you are spot on when you point out that I was asking for the option to choose.

As with a number of other issues, this one seems to have split the Roon community down the middle (confidence intervals notwithstanding). And as the thread rolls on we have the usual aye’s and nay’s from the crowd.

And again as with a number of issues, I would have thought that having the option in there to decide whether to scroll horizontally or vertically would literally be the solution - a closed case. One or two jest about people then asking for diagonal scrolling though as far as scrolling goes, that would be the issue sorted. The user could tailor the behaviour to the device they are using - so this could cater to mobile phone remotes as well as widescreen monitors. One user said that more customisation options leads to greater demand on the team. Of course - this is how software, and teams, grow.

3 Likes

This is the key. It was the inconsistency of the previous release that was the issue.

Vertical or horizontal, the problem for me and for lots of people is: less albums visualization, and scrolling instead of paging. With scroll you never know exactly were you are (imagine a book with no pages but a very long papire you have to roll and roll), and when you select something and than come back, you never return at the same point, and have to scroll up or down to find where you was before. Very annoying. With pages you come back at the same exact page. Faster and useful, less operations, clicks, taps, etc. And it was not even a perfect system in 1.7 because pages were not numbered. It definitily needs numbered pages, that would be perfect.

2 Likes

Now imagine a system where part of the UI is “paginated”, part isn’t, some scrolls vertically and some horizontally.

That was the hot mess we had before.

1 Like

The solution is to put the choose in the settings. Customization. Not exclusion. Anyway, i don’t see the problem of scrolling the home page or a short thing (like the credits of an album), and to paging a LONG LONG thing like the album library. Why that would be a mess? It would be just giving the faster and more comfortable navigation typology in different parts of Roon. I just say: make it selectable by the user! So that if i find better to page and you find better to scroll (thousand of albums? Are you sure?), we are free to do so.

Vertical scrolling is more natural and convenient for application like Roon.
Every music media software I ever used has vertical scrolling
Even Plex and Emby which I use only for video has vertical scrolling

Ok, I can understand that Roon wants to stick to vertical scrolling but can they please make the option of getting more albums back on your screen. I often use my TV screen to display Roon and if you can only fully display 5 albums on your screen while there used to be at least 10 albums (Roon 1.7) without checking the option show more albums. I also suspect that I am not the only one who sometimes uses his TV screen? So if you have a large storage of albums with 5 full albums visible on your TV screen, you can scroll endlessly. Oh and don’t forget it is a 55"inch TV screen I have so big enough for minimum 10 albums :wink:

2 Likes

Also I’m glad that vertical scrolling finally works on iPad

If you use only little screens, like phones that are vertical, yes. If you also use large screens (65 plus inches), that are horizontal, not at all. Why can’t we have the better using system depending on the kind of screen we use? And if we are not all in accord on what is better, why can’t we ask and hope for a setting option in every device we use? To accomodate every preference we need this options:
1)Horizontal paging (i vote this on TV use)
2)Horizontal scrolling
3)Vertical paging
4)Vertical scrolling (i vote this on telephone)
5)show more albums (oh yes! Always. Before was 27 albums per page on my screen, now it’s 12)
6)show less albums (oh no! Why? Less information, more empty space.)
What’s wrong with this? It wouldn’t be better, if we could choose?

4 Likes

Sounds familiar. Clay tablets or parchment scrolls anyone? The fun starts at 3.54 but the rest of it is worth some lock-down time. Nothing new under the sun.

I use it on 27" monitor, iPad and phone
TV I use only as album playback cast screen

Has everyone forgotten that 1.7 had a mix of vertical and horizontal UI?

Given what we pay for this application we should have the right to choose which style fits our needs such as this scrolling issue/debate, size of fonts and album layout (lots of wasted black space now), layout of the now playing at the bottom of the screen, showing all albums when on artist page like in 1.7, etc etc.

This whole attitude that “It’s our software and we’ll do what we like” and if we don’t like it or disagree with you then you tell us to take a hike or find other software…We are the whole reason this software exist, so I suggest you keep this customer base happy and offer options and solutions.

Sorry for the rant!

3 Likes

Haven’t forgotten. I liked horizontal for paging content and vertical for scrolling editing screens. I certainly wouldn’t like vertically scrolled editing screens to be vertically paged though. But maybe others would.

The problem with that is that you either end up with foobar2000 - which I’m not saying is a bad thing but is for a completely different type of user - or you make the decision that you’re going along with Roon’s vision of the design language. They give you some options to tweak looks, but it’s not a free-for-all.

You’re implying here that they haven’t kept the customer base happy. But how do you know they haven’t? Have you sampled the feedback, held focus groups, know of a consensus that hasn’t been publicised?
I think what you really mean here is “I am the reason this software exists, so I suggest you keep this customer happy”

Yes I understand that. But it wouldn’t hurt to take polls & surveys and then leading vote wins. At least be offered to have a vote and be heard rather than hushed and told to go elsewhere.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed Roon up to this 1.8 and from what I’ve seen in the responses to the upgrade likes & dislikes it appears there has been an attitude change somewhere along the line. I will hand in there with 1.8 and hope they listen to the customers and maybe adjust a few things in the next release. After all the Customer is always right!