How best to establish connection between Roon Core installed on iMac & Lyngdorf MP-60 via Ethernet

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number) iMac late 2015 Mojave 10.14.6 , 4GHz Intel Core i7 32 GB RAM

Hi; I am anxious to subscribe to Roon and derive the benefit of listening to my music files in native, high res form, hosted on my iMac via an external hard rive where I maintain my iTunes Library. I have a new Lyngdorf MP-60 but am unclear as to how to establish a proper connection via Ethernet. My entire system is hard wired. My dealer tech was unfamiliar with how to achieve this goal so I am reaching out for guidance. I emailed Lyngdorf support but I believe their offices remain closed do to Covid-19.
I am running Mojave OS on an iMac 10.14.6. Running Intel Core 17 with 32 GB RAM Thx!

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet connected using Netgear Router Nighthawk AC4000

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Lyngdorf MP-60 via Ethernet - Entire system controlled by Control4 (Presently using Pure Music as Music player on iMac)

Description Of Issue

Setup

According to their website this is a Roon endpoint awaiting for certification. So it maybe that it won’t work with Roon just yet and may require a firmware update.

However, connectivity will be straightforward. Simply connect Ethernet cable from the MP-60 to your network switch or router. Roon will then discover the endpoint and you’ll be good to go.

Hi @Robert_Furstenberg,

Firstly, I would verify that you have Roon installed on your iMac, because if you don’t have Roon installed, you won’t have an active Core managing the connection to your network devices. You can download Roon.dmg from our Downloads Page and install Roon, this should be the first step. If you’re new to Roon and curious to know how Roon operates, more information on how Roon works can be found in our Roon Architecture Guide.

Then, after installing Roon, you would need to navigate to Roon Settings -> Audio and enable the MP-60 zone. On my end, I’m seeing that the MP-60 is a Roon Ready zone, so it should appear in Settings -> Audio under the Roon Ready header.

After enabling the zone, you should be able to use the Zone picker to select the zone and start playback to it. More information regarding Audio Setup can be found in Audio Basics Setup Guide.

We have a Control4 module available but do note that the Control4 driver is only for our Nucleus line of Roon Cores, so it wouldn’t work with your iMac. If you wish to add Control4, you must use a Nucleus or Nucleus+ Core.

Thanks very much, Martin. Based on the few posts I’ve seen relating to the MP-60 it seems as though some customers are in fact up and running, albeit with an issue or two. Lyngdorf states now that they are “Roon ready,” but perhaps only the new firmware update will resolve any glitches. In any case, I presume this connection would be established via the “New Source setup?” Or am I mistaken? I already have an ethernet connection, so which of these options would I select? Ultimately I’d need to have my AV tech visit ( I think) as I am a Control4 customer. Pls see attached pics and thx

1 Like

I don’t think you need to change anything on the Lyngdorf. Simply connect it to your network and then open Roon and follow @noris’ instructions, i.e. go to Settings > Audio and enable the zone called MP-60.

1 Like

Thx again, Martin; but still a bit unclear. When you say got to “Settings/Audio/enable zone…” is this done via the Roon program on my Mac? I don’t see a way where this connection is established within the Settings menu of the Lyngdorf. I feel like such a dullard as normally I can wrap my head around concepts like this. Here is a pic of the Streaming menu if that helps, and may I ask, are you a Lyngdorf owner? And is it easy enough to utilize a music playing program like Audirvanna or Pure Music to actually PLAY the files? Thx again!

I see, and thanks for the explanation. I’ll have to explore what’s entailed with the Nucleus or Nucleus + Core products, but presume I could simply choose to use the dedicated Lyngdorf remote once I understand where I need to navigate to to bring up the magic. And I presume I’ll simply use my iPad to navigate as opposed to my TV, correct? And is it easy enough to “marry” Roon with music playing software like Pure Music or Adirvanna if I make a move away from Pure Music as they are not yet ready for Catalina. Many thanks, Noris!

Sorry Martin but I just now viewed response from @noris and now understand that I’d need to configure via the Roon program itself. As he suggests I’ll need to explore the Nucleus and Nucleus + Core options as I AM a Control4 customer. Maybe for this one source I can manually get there by use of the Lyngdorf remote. TY

You’ll need to download and install Roon on your iMac as per @noris’ instructions. Then make sure both iMac and MP-60 are connected to your home network. Finally, open Roon from the iMac and navigate to settings using the “hamburger” icon top left. From Settings > Audio you can enable the MP-60. Finally, set this as the active zone and you can start playing music.

Hi @Robert_Furstenberg,

To clarify my previous message, you can use your MP-60 zone with the components you currently have available. Simply navigate to our Downloads Page and select the Mac version of Roon to install, install it and then in Roon Settings -> Audio, enable the MP-60 zone.

The Nucleus/Nucleus+ is only needed if you wish to take a look at Control4 integration, but I suggest that you first learn how Roon works and try using it with just the available gear you have before you make the jump to Nucleus. The Control4 setup is a bit tricky to get right, so you would also need to involve your Control4 programmer when you get to that stage (down the line).

You can install Roon Remote on your iPad and control your iMac Core from it, and this is a very common way to have Roon set up. I assume you have the Control4 setup connected to your TV, so until you upgrade to the Nucleus, you will be limited to controlling Roon from your iPad or the interface on the Mac itself.

I’m not sure what you mean by “marry” here, Roon is it’s own application and we do not integrate Audioirvana nor Pure Music app into Roon. You will be communicating with the audio zone directly from Roon when you’re using the Roon app.

P.S. All the blue links in my responses (such as the Downloads Page/Guides I linked) are clickable, I suggest checking out the first link I posted, Roon Architecture Guide to understand how Roon is set up to work.

1 Like

OK, and much appreciated. Beginning to “get it” - I think. LOL. As for bundling enhanced music playing software such as Audirvanna or Bit Perfect or Pure Music I sense that these are superfluous programs that “get in the way” of Roon and not needed? And as for being able to view and use my library, it sounds that while I CAN use the iPad, in reality it seems that (based on your comment here) it will not provide me any control since I AM a C4 client. But as I say, if it is simply a matter of using the (Lyngdorf) factory remote for the MP-60 I’d just need to know how to navigate using that device and can live without Control4 integration - at least for now. Thx again to both you and @Martin_Webster

1 Like

@Robert_Furstenberg - The best way to experience Roon is to install it.

Here are some direct links:
http://download.roonlabs.com/builds/Roon.dmg (for your Mac)
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/roon-remote/id1014764083 (for your iPad)

Once you install Roon on your iPad, you will use the Roon app on the iPad to control your iMac Core.
The Core must be powered on and have Roon running to control your audio zones.

Roon by itself will be able to play the music to your zones and if you wish to have advanced DSP features active in Roon, you have a full fledged Roon DSP Engine at your fingertips.

Our Knowledge Base also offers a wealth of information, here is the Roon Getting Started page:
https://kb.roonlabs.com/Getting_Started

Thanks for all of your advice and guidance here; I appreciate it. I’ll check out the vast resources at our disposal later today and will likely install tomorrow as you suggest. But one final question for the day. -:slight_smile: Which command/function on my Lyngdorf remote will bring up Roon once I turn on the Mac as well as the Roon Core? Or, once turned on, will Roon over-ride whatever source is being played? In other words, if I am watching Apple TV and I decide to stream music from the Mac using Roon, once powered up, will it automatically switch sources and take over?” And finally, will the Lyngdorf DAC on board process the files, or is this done at server level by Roon whereby the MP- 60 is simply “passing through” the unit on its way to my amplifiers? :pray:t2:

@Robert_Furstenberg -

I don’t quite understand this question. You will have to initiate the playback from a Roon interface, whether the iPad or the Mac (or Control4 in the future) and then the Lyngdorf remote commands of pause/play/next/previous would affect the Roon queue.

You might find that some of the remote commands don’t work, the remote commands depend on the specific DAC model. Do let me know if there are issues with the commands once you’re up and running and we can look into this further if there are issues.

Yes, if you start streaming from Roon, there should be a convenience switch occurring on your MP-60 zone and it should switch over to Roon Ready once you hit play.

Both Roon and the internal Lyngdorf is used when outputting via Roon. Roon performs any DSP and MQA unfolding you have set up and then passes the stream on to the MP-60, and the stream goes through it’s own internal MP-60 DAC before output.

Thanks @noris. I think you’ve largely answered most of my initial questions, and apologies if I didn’t frame my question more clearly. My Lyngdorf is of course a SSP tasked with the responsibility of switching from source to source. It controls everything, literally. But if I understand this correctly, there is literally no source about which the Lyngdorf need do anything. As a result there is nothing for the Lyngdorf to do as it (apparently) automatically switches to engage with Roon once it detects that it is up and running and all I have to do is hit the play button either at the Core source or on my iPad. So ostensibly Roon is designed to “high jack” and establish itself at the top of the source hierarchy once engaging the MP-60 and ROON itself is in charge of “switching sources” …to itself! Do I have that right? In any case, I’ll proceed to check it out tomorrow by downloading the program for a trial run and if I encounter any issues along the way I’ll reach out to you :pray::notes:

Good Morning, @noris; I have installed Roon this AM and interface looks slick. BUT, as I feared I am not able to achieve output from Lyngdorf MP-60. I selected all appropriate devices that populated but by default, sound outputs ONLY from my iMac 4K. The iMac is apparently recognized as default, but how do I make my default output the MP-60? The screenshot indicates the sound SHOULD output from my Lyngdorf but it is NOT. Can you help please?

You seem to have grouped the MP-60 with another device. Click where it says GROUP ZONES and uncheck the other device.

Now play to the MP-60 only. What happens?

TY @Martin_Webster I have done that and observed that as I was playing DirecTV, Lyngdorf switched off of that source but STILL no output even though Ronn interface on Mac indicates it is “playing.” AND… My Lyngdorf LED panel displays “Roon Ready” but there is no output! @noris suggested once I brought up Roon it would “just play.” Well, so far, it “plays” but outputs no audio from my system. I tend to believe it may have something to do with the SOUND CARD selected in the Mac’s System Preferences? I am using Pure Music software as an FYI & currently have the card set to “Soundflower 2” which is what PM uses as default playback. Perhaps if I delete PM that may resolve? Thx!

Hi @Robert_Furstenberg,

Can you please share a screenshot of your Roon Settings -> Audio tab? It should look something like this:

I would try ungrouping the zones and playing just to the Lyngdorf, you can ungroup the zones by using @Martin_Webster’s suggestion:

No, this issue shouldn’t have anything to do with your Mac System Output, Roon is communicating with the DAC via Roon Ready which doesn’t send the stream through your OS mixer before reaching the MP-60.

Thanks @noris and @Martin_Webster; I’m attaching a screenshot but my audio settings don’t resemble the screenshot you’ve provided. I have a sense that the roadblock MIGHT be Pure Music which is having trouble streaming over my network. It works well via USB so maybe that is the issue? And which sound card selection should I select in System Preferences? Or does it not matter? TY