How Can I Stop Roon Radio From Playing Holiday/Christmas Music Except at Christmastime

Roon Radio insists on occasionally throwing Christmas music into my stream throughout the year, even when there seems to be little conection with the seed. It seems to have gotten more frequent (worse) over the last few months. See my most recent example below.

I’ve read the discussion at https://community.roonlabs.com/t/what-is-holiday-music-when-thumb-down-on-roon-radio/118742. It doesn’t do what I want, because having some Holiday/Christmas music in December is fine with me, and if the seed is Silent Night, I just as soon Roon Radio continued that theme. Likewise I don’t want to pick specific examples and have Roon Radio blacklist Holiday music forever.

So, is there any way to turn Holiday/Christmas music off and then back on for Roon Radio?

Roon Radio Example:

Thanks

(and what about Holiday music for other cultures??)

Apparently a very annoying behavior that was supposed to be fixed but apparently is not. See the other existing threads about Radio inserting this for no reason:
https://community.roonlabs.com/search?q=holiday%20music

Is any of the Christmas music from your local library and then it has Roon Radio looking for more Christmas music? If so, I had the same issue and here is how I fixed it. I added a Christmas Music folder to my library, and I moved all of my Christmas music to the Christmas Music folder. Once I moved all of the Christmas Music to the Christmas Music folder, I disabled the Christmas Music folder and the Christmas music stopped. When Christmas rolls back around, I enable the Christmas Music folder to listen to Christmas music and then disable the Christmas Music folder after the Holidays.

1 Like

I have an album bookmark that is one of my primary shuffle sources and even though I’m trying to exclude Christmas music, it still shows up occasionally. No answer, just sharing your frustration!

I’m not sure why most genres are listed twice - maybe the double negative means they are included?

Good suggestion. You’re right that I have Roon Radio playing from my library. It will be some overhead to move the Christmas stuff, but your method gives me a way to wall off the Christmas stuff except for when I want to include it.

1 Like

There is a bug where genres in focus appear twice under some circumstances, but I have no idea if it’s just cosmetic or it actually has an effect like double negative:

1 Like

Thanks, @Suedkiez. I was just joking about the double negative, but who knows? It’s a bookmark of most of my collection and including the -holliday in the focus doesn’t really seem to keep anything out anyway, so I’m not going to take the time to test right this moment.

This is what I have done since I started using Roon in 2015 and what I’ve advocated others to do. Once setup, it is quick, easy and foolproof in that you won’t get unexpected holiday music in July.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be too sure :slight_smile:

1 Like