How Do I Connect Roon Nucleus to Devialet Phantom Golds without airplay

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon Nucleus: (Ethernet)
Operating System: Version 1.0 (build 174) stable
Roon Labs Software: Version 1.0 (build 11) stable
Roon Server Software: Version 1.6 (build 416) stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Linksys Router EA9500
TP-Link Media Converter MC220L
SFP SM311LM - MM Fiber LC-LC
SOtM sNH-10G - sCLK-EX - Evox Cap - 7NUPOCC - eABS-200

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Roon Nucleus (RJ/Ethernet)
Devialet Phantom Gold X 2 via a dialog (RJ/Ethernet)
All connected to the router via Cat 7 cables (AudioQuest Cinnamon)
I use my Macbook pro or iPhone Xs as the remote control (via WiFi)

Description Of Issue

I used a Roon via the MacBook and noticed the downgrade in sound quality via Airplay looking at the signal path in Roon.

I decided to buy a Roon Nucleus so I can bypass Airplay and up the Quality of my signal path.

Please help, How do I add the Phantoms to the Roon Nucleus without making use of AirPlay. I would love to hear the full potentials of the Phantoms via the Nucleus.

A Chromecast Audio or another bridge connected to one of the Phantoms is the only solution right now. Maybe the announced fall update to the Phantom will enable RAAT. That’s what I hope for. In my opinion Spark sounds better than Roon via CC Audio. The Airplay implementation in Phantom is beyond flawed with the constant treble distortion.

I believe @RBM may give you some pointers. Until the Phantom’s are Roon Ready you’ll need a Bridge.

Thank you, Ragwo for the advice.

I assume that the connection the one Phantom is via Toslink and that the Chromecast or the Bridge is a Roon endpoint?

You’re absolutely correct.

Hi @DrAnalyzer,

As others have mentioned here, the Devialet Phantom Golds are not Roon Ready, and I can’t comment on when, or if they will be, so you will need to use some kind of bridge device for the time being.

Using Toslink is one avenue to explore (you can find a few mentioned in this thread or use a Chromecast Audio), and it should also theoretically be possible to use a Sonore UPnP Bridge to facilitate the connection.

Note, I have not tested any of the Toslink adapters nor the UPnP bridge so please research this area further before purchasing to ensure compatibility with your phantoms.

Thank you, Noris

I would like to Bridge Ethernet to Toslink, do you know of any good ones?

Hi @DrAnalyzer,

I have not previously used any Ethernet to Toslink adapters, but there are quite a few mentioned in the thread I linked, in addition to the possibility of using the Chromecast Audio as suggested.

I have also just moved this thread over to the Roon Software section in hope that other users can comment on their experiences with specific Toslink bridges.

You could buy a Micro USB to RJ45 adaptor for the CC Audio to get a wired connection. Works as a charm. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F153230282129

Here’s the highlights of a thorough review of the CC Audio:

1. The CAST audio functionality of Google Chrome is horrid. There is no excuse for it to be butchering even simple 16-bit signals as it did. While audibly it is not as dire as it looks, I still would avoid it if you can.

2. Roon’s implementation of Chromecast streaming is superb. It is bit accurate up to 24 bits and 48 kHz that I tested. Congratulations to Roon for job well done. I assume they received support from Google to implement it as the protocol otherwise is not open to the public.

3. The Chromecast output has more jitter than an audiophile/instrument grade Toslink output. This is evident when used with low quality DACs like Schiit Modi 2 Uber.

4. Using a well-designed Dac like the Topping D50, there is no difference at all between Toslink from Chromecast or higher fidelity sources. All the jitter is filtered out resulting in the performance of the DAC itself being the limit.

#4 is a great news here. It means that if you have a good DAC and use Roon, you can turn your DAC into a streamer/renderer using the Chromecast Audio. For just $35, that is a superb addition. As such, the combination of Roon and Chromecase audio is highly recommended!

EDIT : bit-perfect playback is also supported in Android apps like Hi-Fi Cast. See: https://audiosciencereview.com/foru…omecast-audio-digital-output.4544/post-102185. So you are not just limited to Roon.

The whole review:

If you need more than 24/48, you’ll have to look for another Brigde. I like the Bluesound Node 2, it’s versatile and easy to use.

The correct way to do this in my view is to employ a UPnP Bridge. This means you do everything via Ethernet at full (up to 192/24) quality. My personal view is that if you have invested in a Nucleus and Phantom Golds then you are going to want a solution that leverages the best potential performance. I did it with an old 1.3 version of a MicroRendu which shouldn’t break the bank if you can find one.

1 Like

Then do you put a USB to SPDIF converter to connect to the Phantom?

No. It just sits on the network emulating a Squeezebox device to Roon and forwarding to the Phantoms via DNLA.

2 Likes

Very interesting! I’ll have to look into this.
Thank you.

I’m using a Raspberry Pi 3B with a Digi+ board into one of the Phantom Golds. Works now for years well, up to 24/192k. The RPi is connected through WiFi in my case, but Ethernet would also work. Alternatively, you can also use a Hifiberry Digi+ board.

If I understand you correctly, I would connect the UPnP Bridge to my switch (and power supply) and that’s it (for the hardware). I would then configure the UPnP Bridge to play to the Devialet Phantom Golds (via the Dialog) and enable the UPnP Bridge in Roon (settings > audio) and the entire signal path (outside the Nucleus) will be ethernet based up to the Phantoms.

That is pretty much it.

Yes, that is how it works. Setup Roon to work to Squeezeboxes. Enable the bridge in Roon. Go into the setup of the bridge, from a drop down box select your speakers and it should work.

1 Like

Hello. I have very good experiences with both Oppo 203 and Bluesound node2 connected to Phantom gold via toslink. Its important to connect directly to one of the phantoms and not to the dialog. The dialog is no good for playback of music files with higher rez. than 44.1 / 16. (some dropouts and crackling).

I’ve just bought a second hand MicroRendu 1.4 and will report back when I have installed it next week. Hopefully it will be a OK solution until Devialet implements Roon.

1 Like

Cool. It should be a good solution but if there are issues you should be able to get support. Let us know how you get on.