How do I "Favorite" an artist in Roon?

Yeah, the answer is probably right in front of me but I can’t seem to find out (or remember) how to do this. :confounded:

My current shortcut is simply to bookmark the artist page. That could get unwieldy, especially since my motivation is to use an artist to drill down to an album instead of making a group of albums “Favorite.”

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Perhaps I should elaborate because I just noticed something. I have a couple of MP3 tracks of Badfinger in my library.

When I select Badfinger, this is the screen I get. Notice the heart that I presume allows me to “Favorite” this artist?

Now here’s an artist I don’t have in my personal library. And haven’t made a Favorite in Tidal either:

What is the difference between these artist’s pages? Is it because I have one artist in my library already? Must I open the Tidal app and “Favorite” the artist for it to appear as a Favorite in Roon?

Yup, exactly.

Indeed. Favorites aren’t bookmarks – they’re a way to denote your favorite content in your library.

Actually,Tidal artist favorites aren’t added to your library – that process is driven by the presence of an artist’s tracks and albums in your library.

We debated this one quite a bit, and decided that Tidal artist favorites are important “bookmarks” to get back to, but that doesn’t mean you want, say, every one of their albums added to your library. So, Tidal artist favorites can be accessed via the Tidal page, but for an artist to be “favoritable”, they’ll need to actually have content in your library.

You can see the same distinction when you browse to a TIDAL album before and after you add the album to your library.

Thank you for the answer.

Let me recap what I understand:

Inside Roon I can add a Tidal album that isn’t in my Roon library so that it appears in my Roon library.

Inside Roon I can “Favorite” an artist whose music (either a Tidal album or a local track) is already in my library.

But inside Roon I can not “Favorite” a Tidal artist whose music is not already in my library. :triumph:

Mike wrote:

“We debated this one quite a bit, and decided that Tidal artist favorites are important “bookmarks” to get back to, but that doesn’t mean you want, say, every one of their albums added to your library. So, Tidal artist favorites can be accessed via the Tidal page, but for an artist to be “favoritable”, they’ll need to actually have content in your library.”

I understand and will adjust accordingly.

Consider this: As I’ve used Roon my concept of my library has evolved. This is mainly due to how well Tidal integrates with Roon. I’ve added a lot of Tidal albums to my library; many by the same artist. For the sake of simplicity I would rather have a favorite artist - without any of their albums actually in my library. I can only do this by running the Tidal app and “Favoriting” the artist to make it appear as a Favorite in Roon.

That way, I have a way to see if a new album released by a Favorite artist is yet available through Roon. I have presumed that the Overview screen would someday become a kind of “breaking music news” page where new releases by my Favorite artists are announced as available.

The other presumption I’ve made is how my Favorites is separated from Tidal such that once other streaming services are integrated with Roon I would be be able to drill down to their music in that other streaming service as well. Again, without having to add their albums to my library or selecting the “Other Music Service” button in the Menu bar. (Like I do TIDAL now.)

Another day, another fractured paradigm I guess. :persevere:

It is a unique experience, watching Roon evolve and evolving oneself in the process. That alone is worth the price of admission. I’ve discovered how others define the words “library” and “queue”.

Sincere best wishes.

1 Like

Why not allow a person to add an artist to their library of artists without thereby adding all (or any) of that artists albums to their library? This wouldn’t have to happen by Roon automatically adding all of a person’s Tidal artist favorites to the person’s Roon library of artists. Rather, you could just allow a person to go to that artist’s page and click an option to add that artist to their library (without thereby adding any albums or tracks).

When I want to listen to non-classical music and I’m in the mood to browse, I typically just browse artists on Tidal. And I don’t want to have to add an album or track in order to add an artist, b/c sometimes I discover an artist that I like but don’t necessarily want to add any of their tracks or albums to my library right away.

I just don’t see what is lost by giving people the option to add an artist to their library without adding any of that artist’s tracks or albums, especially when in order to get around this a person has to clutter up their track or album libraries (or just use Tidal, which is what I do, but I’d like to be able to incorporate artists into Roon for the sake of using the starring system and so on).

I’m poked around a bit on this topic. If I’ve overlooked some way of adding artists without adding albums or tracks (or putting them on a playlist or whatever), please let me know! Thanks.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Favoriting artists from TIDAL