How do I install Roon server on Windows into a hard-disk that is not the C drive

Thanks, your help is appreciated.

Hi,

Roon / Roon Server on Windows installs into:

• ā€˜pā€™:\Usersā€™userā€™\AppData\Local\Roon
  • ā€˜pā€™:\Usersā€™userā€™\AppData\Local\RoonServer
  • ā€˜pā€™:\Usersā€™userā€™\AppData\Local\RAATServer

Unfortunately there are no controls where Roon is installed to on Windows. However, Windows can be adjusted so that the local the home folder is on a different drive ā€¦ say D: drive.
My old work laptop was setup that way and Roon installed into D:\Users<user>\AppData\Local\Roon.

Personally Iā€™m not so keen how Roon (RoonServer) installs on Windows ā€¦ I would much prefer it if Roon Server was a service and installed outside of the users file space. However Iā€™m told doing so would introduce permission and automatic self-updating issues.

The Linux installs are more flexible, iirc you were where going to consider that option.

Iā€™d like to raise my hand up and say I want this changed too! :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve been having problems here, as I want Roon to be installed in a different folder (specifically I wanted Roon to run as a windows service under a different user account which does not have privileges to login to the desktop itself).

For now Iā€™ve had to grant that account permissions to login to the desktop, install Roon, then configure it as a service under that account (via NSSM). If I need to do any updates I would have to login under that account to do them.

I would understand Roonlabs not changing this if self-updates and permissions are a major issue, but considering application updates come (from what Iā€™ve seen) at most 2-3 times a year, itā€™s not like weā€™ll be upgrading Roon every other day like some other services we may be running.

And thatā€™s not to say there are no workaroundsā€¦

As a counter-example to this, Iā€™ve been using LMS nightly builds for a few years now, and all thatā€™s needed is a single click to upgrade to the latest release (which happens every few days) - this installs in Program Files, with all its data in the %ProgramData% folder. Actually as I type this I just thought of another example - Sonarrā€¦ I have this installed in a custom folder (C:\prg\Sonarr), data is in %ProgramData% and automated upgrades happen out-of-the-box and without any interaction from me.

Just my 2c. None of this is a major problem but ā€œnice to haveā€.

Anyone from RoonLabs @support care to comment on this request?

My very first post on Roon was about Roon Server as a Service

Needless to say the title was change to include [not on roadmap]

I donā€™t mind if Roon canā€™t install itself as a service (there are service wrappers that can be used for this like NSSM) - but at least give us the option of installing it in a normal application folder (Program Files) or a custom path, rather than forcing it in the %APPDATA% folder which is non-standardā€¦

The driveletter:\Program Files directory supports my needs as long as any drive letter can be chosen.

Hey @alex_london ā€“ I talked about this a little more yesterday.

I wouldnā€™t completely rule out a change here, but building, testing, shipping, and supporting a secondary install mechanism is a pretty big piece of work, and I would also note that we do a lot more than 2-3 releases a year.

I donā€™t see a Feature Request thread on this yet, so creating one is probably the best option for right now.

@mike, thanks - Iā€™ll create a request if there isnā€™t one already and see what happens! :slight_smile:

As I mentioned before, itā€™s not a show-stopper as there are workarounds to this, just would be nice to haveā€¦

1 Like

Indeed - sorry I was looking at versions not builds!

1 Like

Dear,

Is it possible to have all the Roon Server data on driver d: ?

Thanks,

George

As far as I know, on Windows systems, Roon installs parts of itself in appdata under users and this is not relocatable.

Hi @Georgethesixth,

I moved your post into this topic, which should answer your question.

1 Like

Hi,
an option for the installation into removable media (USB disc, SD). An art of a ā€œcontainerā€ installation where I can take roon, my library and files with me or ā€œofflineā€ from my main roon network. In Windows 10 it will be possible. Iā€™ve tried something similar with JRiver 21 and it works very well.