How many albums can you add to a tag?

I have a tag that has become too large, it takes very long to load and too long to add new albums. How many albums are the max for a single tag?

I’ve never heard of a maximum, but tell us how many albums you have in your tag. I have one that is 5,456 albums. Not large and not unwieldy. Also what is your Roon core? I suspect that may have an effect on how efficient your library is (including tags).

1 Like

Did you reboot your core? Whenever I am adding lots of albums to tags, I notice that this procedure will operatate a lot slower after some time. A reboot solves this.

As David suggested, I have found from other users that Core speed and memory will impact system speed when using Tags, if there is a large volume of them.

Yes absolutely. Using tags in Roon can very much tax the core.

The tag that I am having trouble with was about 8 times that size.

Roon Core Machine

Intel NUC 8 Mainstream Kit (NUC8i7BEH) - Core i7, Tall
Crucial 8GB Single DDR4 2400 MT/S (PC4-19200)
Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 250GB NVMe M.2 Internal Solid State Drive

Roon Server Software
Version 2.0 (build 1268) earlyaccess

Operating System
Version 1.0 (build 254) production

Networking Gear & Setup Details

GB Ethernet Connection to NUC
ASUS RT-AC86U
No VPN

Rebooting has no effect.

To me that indicates you need a beefier machine. While I’ve experienced the slow-down based on resources where a reboot helped, it is also true that a drastic upgrade to the processor speed and memory, and to the fastest PCI4 SSD, also significantly helped with database and tag performance.

Depends on what you use the tags for, i suppose?

I experienced a variation on the theme:

If you have a collection of more than 40.000 albums (for this Tag alone) you are way out of NUC country for Core, and especially with only 8Gb of RAM…

I’ve reorganized the TAG into several smaller ones which has helped quite a bit. I guess I’ve outgrown my setup since I purchased it 4 years ago. I could upgrade the RAM to 32GB, or should I get a newer NUC, which one? Which SSD? RAM? Should I just use the current system recommended by ROONLabs on the website?

What Mikael is trying to say, I think, is…Not NUC, Desktop. You might need more processing power than mobile/laptop CPUs provide.

2 Likes

Yes, 8Gb is way to little RAM for a collection of up to around 200K tracks. And if you’re sporting alibrary of more than 40K Albums, your likely looking at 600K tracks, you will need at least 32Gb RAM, but to be honest, the “laptop” CPU’s of the NUC’s are not really up to the task of managing a library of bigger sorts…

Some interesting Tag related performance info in this thread:

1 Like

That was helpful.

1 Like