How often do you reboot your Roon core?

Hmm, a matter of terminology.

I took ‘reboot’ to apply to the entire machine. A ROCK update only requires a restart of the software which the update process does, to greater or lesser success, on its own.

Nope. I meant reboot the whole core, not RoonServer.

I’ve never had to do that and there are people on here who have run for months without a reboot. Dunno.

Windows 10 - 166 Days and counting …

–MD

1 Like

Never, except when it auto-reboots when there is an update or a new release.

There was one time I manually rebooted it when I was troubleshooting Roon ARC, but then I might not need to do it at all.

My Roon Core is on a Nucleus.

I had a Linux web server that I recently upgraded…when I took it off the air it had done a stellar 2001 days uptime.

Roon gets restarted pretty often here, windows updates often needs a restart, Mac OS too (I use developer build too so they come thick and fast nearing a final build) and need a restart. ROCK just gets its normal roon update restarts unless I’m moving things around which does happen quite a bit :slight_smile: my house is a bit of an audio lab.

2 Likes

What you say may be absolutely true, but most people don’t know how to reliably strip down Windows without breaking it…. May be you might like to produce a guide to help everyone? I find Windows 11 to be particularly vulnerable to getting slower and slower, especially with all data on OneDrive and made available locally as well as online, such that I need to do a reformat and rebuild every 8 or 9 months, which takes hours and is a right pain.

Edmund,
That is the mindset that needs to change. One Drive has to go. We are talking about a Music Server only. I do not recommend the use of One Drive. Also a Local Account needs to be setup and not a Windows Account. For example a ROCK setup does not access any online services with the exception of phoning home to Roon. For some folks, this is the goto route because it is easier to setup than the de bloating of Windows because ROCK is de bloated by design to make an optimal music server. It is a set it and forget music server.

I personally prefer Windows over ROCK because I prefer Windows over Linux. I have been using Windows for 30 years and I can set it up like a ROCK type music server.

Windows 10 or 11 Pro is the better way to go than the Windows Home edition. Easier to control. There are online instructions that show you how you can strip Windows down.

You are correct though that most folks might not know how to strip Windows. For starters anything to do with the web, don’t. No Microsoft Account, One Drive, Email, Google. Windows updates will go thru the web automatically for updates but will go no where else. Same for Roon. It will contact the Roon servers, but no where else (that I know of). Go thru your Apps in Settings and uninstall the Games, Feedback Hub, Office, Xbox, 3D Print.

Here is link from someone who has been de bloating for a while now. He makes it simply compared to manually stripping Windows down thru Powershell scripts. He goes further with it disabling Cortana, the Windows Store, telemetry just to name few.

Your OS should be on your primary drive drive and your music is on another drive altogether. I recommend you disconnect your music library when setting up your music server even if it is on a ROCK system. Adding your library should be last. Always have a backup of your music prior also.

When setting up your music server whether Windows or Rock, it is a dedicated device and if you have to nuke it and start over because of the learning process, you lost nothing.

There are lots of folks that have Windows setup like yours and like you they are constantly having some type of issue now and then. This is because while it can work this way, it could be because it is being use used as dual purpose computer and not a dedicated music server. This will always create challenges.

Hope this helps.

–MD

2 Likes

Hi Mike, thank you very much for your rapid and comprehensive reply.

I did not make myself clear, I was talking running Windows 10 - 11 in general, which though off topic, I thought Windows Optimisation from an practicing expert might be useful to many in general, plus we have a lot with Windows running the Roon client to connect to Roon server of whatever type.

I fully understand about dedicating Roon server (whatever it runs on) to a single, focussed entity box. I run Roon ROCK on a well configured and resourced NUC.

1 Like

Edmund,

My Roon server is a 5 years old build and is still solid today as day 1.

I remember when I set this up I thought about a step by step and publishing it for others but I never did.

I did create a Word document with the steps and I have it some where. The web link I posted from Chris Titus simplifies things quite a bit.

Glad to know you also have a ROCK setup. Even though I do not have one, I am impressed with it. Will be retiring in a couple of years and currently in the process of setting me up a man cave. The center point of it will be a music center. I already have a lot of audio pieces going back 40 years in excellent condition.

Was thinking about experimenting with ROCK once I retire.

–MD

1 Like

I’m a few years beyond this experience (windows 7!) but when I needed to run windows, I installed it as a VM on my Intel Mac. I had better luck with that than any windows dedicated PC. It was such a clean install, with no extra bloatware, as they say.

It was for work, running Microsoft web-dev and database stuff. But I don’t need it anymore, so I can’t say how well it works with the current Windows OS.

That said, if one already had a mac to run windows, I’d just run Roon on the Mac OS itself!

:upside_down_face:

I reboot about 8 times a day, sucks. Probably not renewing in April.

This not normal, obviously. Why haven’t you opened a #support ticket?

Edit: I see that you did and that the answer was that there was a problem with the Surface Pro being under spec.

Well, I looked again today. It’s nearly a month. Seems like most times I look it’s nearly a month. So probably I reboot 10-12 times a year, but I can’t recall why I ever do. It’s probably power outages as primary cause, and then things that are weird, like #early-access RoonOS builds or me deciding to rebuild my server rack (that never happens, seriously, ok, maybe sometimes).

I am running core(prod channel) on mac mini. Rebooting the mini only for os updates same for the core, only for updates. Running this setup for the last two years and a half and It is extremely stable. No mem leaks, no cpu overconsumption, it’s solid af. Kudos to the dev team!

Running on a Mac mini rebuilt with Unbuntu- never and I do mean never had to reboot it. (Auto updates)

1 Like

I think that if you “need” to reboot Roon Core every 2 days or so, for whatever reason, there is something deeply wrong, say with where you are running it, or Roon itself.

Myself I do not normally reboot and more so with Roon 2.00, to keep it running for outside the home access. I run it on a SonicTransporter i9.