How often do you reboot your Roon core?

Shutdown. As in not rebooting to fix an issue but just to reduced power use. The point being I haven’t found a specific need to reboot it and have left it up for months but decided that was wasteful.

I disconnect mine from the mains every night in summer due to potential lightening strikes , so I do Reboot daily . Its on a UPS the rest of the time

I suppose it saves power too , its a big Desk Top Tower so its quite thirsty

ghostbusters

It used to be hardly ever but now is frequently usual on a daily basis due to slow loading issue skipping tracks. Using ROCK on an Intel NUC.

One observation: as there were two updates this week I think I can correlate the need to reboot Roon this week with my EX automatically upgrading.

I am fairly sure about it when it comes to 537 last night (had 536 version and was wondering when I would be prompted to go for the announced 537); then had some of the usual playback glitches and afterwards noticed that the EX had upgraded to 537.

Whereas I need to update the iPhone/Mac “manually” apparently the EX tries to upgrade “automatically” and if you are using it at the same time this could cause the glitches I have reported

I reboot roon every day or two. Usually because roon has lost control of HQPLayer. I thought this was common.

I also have Nucleus, it stops, must reboot once in a while. Maybe once a month.

Never reboot my Headless ROCK on NUC ,
Last Update of Roon Server Software to 1.7 (537) for exemple ,
I only had to Restart Roon Server through the Web UI in my PC because it was still mentioning the old version

I run Roon on Windows 10. No restarts for me.

I have a macmini (late 2012). For the past 2 or 3 months, the system gets very slow after running of rooncore for 1 or 2 days. I reported this to roon support but it seems they are not aware of this matter. I wish everyone with the same symptom report this to the roon support so its priority gets escalated. PLEASE!

Hey shinyc,

I also use a late 2012 MAC Mini…(i7 2.6 GHz Quad core, 16 MB RAM 1TB SSD for Roon, 1 TB HDD for Back ups) mine has handled all the recent updates with no problem…One of the items I like is that my iPAD selects song choice in what seems like milliseconds! Most of the time my MAC Mini runs 24/7.

In case one has a large library (500K+ tracks), rebooting becomes necessary just to reclaim wasted memory per above quote. Sorry about not mentioning this in my last post. My macmini (late 2012) is still sound. I don’t think it is broken or slow. Many people tell me that mini of this vintage is not up to the task but I do not agree with the idea that one needs a powerful machine to overcome garbage collection deficiency in one’s code. I also hate the fact that I am counted as the 1% of roon users who have large library and not cared for enough in the support queue priority. Should I sit still?

1 Like

Why does Roon only allow a max. mamory allocation of 2GB?

My NAS has 32GB Memory. So a lot of resources are unused. The fact that a thread like this exists is probably an indication for bad memory mgmt of Roon.

How often do I have to reboot Emby? Or Minimserver? Well, never.
On the other side Roon: Every other day.

Reboot? The only time I reboot my sonicTransporter i9 running Roon Core and HQPlayer Embedded is when software updates require it. Otherwise, the unit runs without trouble day in and day out. The sonicTransporter i5 I had before the sonicTransporter i9 provided the same level of reliability.

Hmm. NAS. Alternatively, I have a Windows Server running Roon that never needs a reboot for Roon, (or for Windows either actually). 32 Gigabytes as well.

as I am far from decided whether I will stay with Roon, not going to invest in any new hardware to run it. And Windows would be the least (last) option.

Running core on synology 713+. Have to reboot every few days.
Reason is very unclear. No lack of resources. No bad network.
Only thing is that this model is not on the Roon compatibility list.

I still believe these are memory mgmt issues inside Roon. A reboot clears the memory and all is good again - for a little while until mem will clog up again. But the 713+ couldbe a little weak.

Yes I fully agree with you. However monitoring the resources doesn’t show any upcoming bottle necks.
I use Roon in combination with Qobuz. So there is often no reason to have a high performance core since data is streamed from the internet not from internal NAS memory. When Roon freezes, Qobuz keeps on streaming so no network issues.
But possibly I don’t fully understand the Roon mechanism.
It is a pity that one needs quit an expensive core to stream some music.

That’s because it isn’t just streaming music. If you look at the composition of almost any page, there is a ton of information listed. A lot more than you may see on a comparable Tidal page. Every time you pull in a view, Roon is going out over the internet and pulling all this information in. It clearly comes from a variety of different sources. It’s then all maintained in a database that’s keeping track of all the data and presenting it in a hyperlink-associated way.
It may also need to send different streams of music to a variety of different endpoints, with various degrees of digital signal processing.
Since there is so much going on, Roon is heavy on the computer and the network. The fancy GUI comes at a cost. That might not make you feel any better in your situation, but that’s why it takes more than an ordinary streaming service.

1 Like