How to display Roon on my TV

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Nucleus.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Xfinity, wired.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Marantz home theater receiver via HDMI.

Description Of Issue

1. How do I get the Roon display that is on my iPad to display on my TV? The display icon in the volume line is not there.
  2. How do I get my Tidal play lists onto Roon?
  3. How do I get Roon to recognize the hard drive I installed?

I am not computer savy at all and wish I could speak to a support person instead of emails/message boards.

I have a Sony Android TV. I can display Roon’s current play via Chromcast.
The TV shows up as an endpoint, I believe.

My Nucleus is connected to my Anthem processor via HDMI, so the audio is processed via the AVM60, there is only OS stuff displayed. The video is sent via wifi (Chromecast). When playing Roon, I tap on the speaker icon and a display option is offered, my Sony XBR77x940d.

2 Likes

Hi @Clyde_Uchida,

Take a look at our Displays documentation here.

Do you have a Chromecast device connected to the TV, or does it have a web browser that you can use?

Once you sync your TIDAL account with Roon when you go to Settings > Services, your TIDAL playlists should sync automatically with Roon. Have you already synced with TIDAL?

You can learn more about our TIDAL integration here

Just to verify — Did you install an internal drive inside of the Nucleus, or is this a USB drive?

If you installed an internal drive, this should show up automatically once installed and formatted. You can read about this process here.

If it’s an external drive connected via USB, you can add this to Roon as a watched folder by going to Settings > Storage. We have information about importing music in our KB.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

I don’t know exactly what model Marantz home theater receiver you are using but I have also have a Marantz home theater receiver, model SR6009, which has AirPlay built in. The Marantz shows up as an audio zone in Roon:

setting -> Audio -> Other Network Devices -> Marantz (via AirPlay)

So if I select the Marantz audio zone and set the Marantz to play “Online Music” via the Marantz remote Roon streams the music to the Marantz and the TV connected to the Marantz displays a version of the Now Playing screen. Please note that this screen is not the same as the Now Playing screen one sees when using a Google Chromecast, which I also have connected to my Marantz receiver, however the screen does display the album art, the album title, the artist and the song title along with track time.

So if your model Marantz has AirPlay give this a try and perhaps the Now Playing screen that show up will work for you. Here’s a photo of the Now Playing display:

Thanks Dylan for pointing me to this part of the RKB since I didn’t know that this was possible (displaying any zones Now Playing to a Chromecast device). I gave it a try and it’s a nice feature.

Silly question. When Chromecast is broadcasting vía wifi, is the information coming from my iPad app or my Nucleus?

Hi @David_Brown2,

This information is coming from the Core machine (Nucleus in your case).

I have a Sony 75 inch TV with Android built in so displaying on it is simple… Looks great :

Is the display stable? Mine cuts out occasionally.

Mine never drops out

How do you setup the SONY TV as Roon endpoint?

My SONY 4K TV showed up automatically when I first setup the Nucleus+. I just noticed it’s no longer showing up on the audio setup page.

Thanks.

Does it show up in Roon settings ?

Settings > Displays

Mine disappeared recently, I used these steps to fix :

My TV isn’t detected as a Chromecast built-in device or the connection fails during casting

[Applicable Products and Categories of This Article](javascript:void(0):wink:

IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.

Possible symptoms

The Android TV™ device isn’t detected as a Chromecast™ Built-in (Google Cast) device.

The Cast icon isn’t displayed on the mobile device.

The Cast icon is available on the mobile device and the TV model is detected, but Cast doesn’t work.

Error There was a problem connecting to XXX-XXXXX (Model name) appears and the connection fails even though the Cast icon is available on the mobile device and the TV model is detected.

Troubleshooting steps

Check if the Chromecast Built-in function works after completing each step.

Make sure your TV has the latest software update. Downloads are posted on your model support page.

Connect the mobile device and your TV to the same network.

If you are using a dual-band wireless router, make sure your devices are connected to the same frequency.

[ Make sure that the Google Cast™ Receiver or Chromecast Built-in app is enabled.](javascript:void(0))

[ Uninstall updates for Android System WebView and Chromecast built-in . ](javascript:void(0))

After uninstalling the updates, reset the TV and update these two apps to the latest version.

Press the HOME button on the remote control.

Select Settings .

The next steps will depend on your TV menu options:

Select AppsSee all appsAndroid System WebViewUninstall updatesOK .

Select AppsAndroid System WebViewUninstall updatesOK .

Perform the same uninstallation steps for Chromecast built-in .

After uninstalling the updates, reset the TV.

Update the two apps above to the latest version from the Google Play™ store .

[ Clear data on Cast function apps, Android System WebView and Chromecast built-in . ](javascript:void(0))

Press the HOME button on the remote control.

Select Settings .

The next steps will depend on your TV menu options:

Select AppsSee all apps → Cast function apps → Clear DataOK .

Select Apps → Cast function apps → Clear DataOK .

Note: Do the same for Android System WebView and Chromecast built-in as well. Check this Google website for more details on Cast function apps.

From My Apps in the Google PlayStore app, update all of the apps installed on the TV to the latest version.

Set the correct date and time on your TV.

[ Restart the app, router, and mobile device.](javascript:void(0))

Reset your TV.

Thanks, I believe the issue happened after I updated the SONY TV’s software.

Roon was able to find my SONY 4K TV after a couple of hard power reset of the TV and the Nucleus+.

1 Like

Maybe time to include the new Roon Remote app for Apple TV in documentation?

1 Like

Great idea. Hope it works well for you - I’ve not tested yet

I can assure you Roon for AppleTV is fantastic.
You can play/pause as an example without having the screen on. I find this a very nice feature.

Will a Samsung TV work as a display?

On my iPad with Roon Remote, I check Roon/ Settings/Displays, but get, “No available displays”.

Does a Samsung need a Chromecast device plugged in to it?

Yes it will work in their browser. Had it working on mine. Just put In the URL Roon gives you into their browser. You don’t need a Chromecast for this.

Thanks! Is the browser display info the same as what is seen in Chromecast?