How to get Linux Roon server to accept remote connections?

Roon Core Machine

OpenSUSE LEAP 15.3, XEON, 32 GB

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Linksys EA9500

Connected Audio Devices

Samsung S20 Ultra via phone data

Library Size

150,000 tracks

Description of Issue

I want to be able to connect to my Roon server and listen on my phone while walking.
But there is no GUI for Linux, and accessing the Settings on, say, my MacOS client has no Accept remote connections item.

1. How do I set this up? What port?
  2. Is it encrypted?

I’d recommend this:

I installed Tailscale on my Linux machine. And on my Android phone. But how do I configure the Roon app on my phone to find my vpn server’s ip? If I turn wifi off on my phone, it says I must be on the same wifi network as the server.

In normal situations, Roon on android means you must have WiFi. If you have cellular data only, it would never work in-home. There is a thing in the code that explicitly checks for non-cellular connection, and shows that screen that you are seeing if you lack it. We do this because it greatly improves the experience when one lacks WiFi but does have cellular coverage.

Unfortunately, VPN software breaks the assumption that cellular data + Roon can’t work. We will have to figure out if/how to support this situation, and that’s real product evaluation work, not just a quick fix. I’ve brought it up with the team, but they have their hands full with proper mobile access of Roon, so I can not even begin to predict when this will get done…

So how does it work according to your first post?
And by the way, your assumption with 5G is incorrect. I get 100 Mbps down on my cell phone with T-Mobile.

I think that’s recent-ish, as I definitely did use my iPhone as an audio device via Tailscale in the past. I was on 4G though and it was too slow to work. I have 5G now which I believe should be plenty, so I was hoping to try it - but it seems you have disabled this sort of access at some point in the past few months.

I have to ask - why? I am able to use my iPhone as a Roon remote over cellular VPN (via Tailscale). So why disable the functionality to make it work as an audio device as well? If I have the bandwidth from my home network and cell network, why should Roon stop me from playing music?

I was thinking of pc/mac, not mobile.

Just a heads up for anyone considering trying this, there appears to be an issue triggered after using the TailScale connection, which has affected both me and Pat:

Emby works nicely externally, and it uses a certificate, so there is no need for a VPN. If they can do it, Roon can also…