HQ Player Integration [SOLVED]

I have not. I just played with it until my trial period ran out as I went with Roon waiting for the integration. I am very excited about where this is going.

When it gets integrated with Roon communicating with HQP will be simple.

I read that itā€™s not going to be possible to change HQPlayer output settings on-the-fly via Roon (at least in the present alpha/beta version).
I suggest that this capability is possibly included in a future revision.
One perhaps can have Roon store 4 different settings and change them in a little drop menu according to preference.

+1 for bibo01ā€™s comment.

Iā€™m hearing good things from people who have had a look at the alpha for roon/hqplayer integrationā€¦but I agree putting the ability to change settings in HQplayer into the roon hqplayer zone will be important. I know it is possible to pass hqplayer settings in through the hqplayer remote interface so I donā€™t think it will be too difficult. Having separate drop downs for filter, modulator, and sampling frequency would be ideal. It would also probably be nice to toggle the directSDM and SDM pipeline settings, but I donā€™t know how easy it is to pass those in via codeā€¦regardless they would probably have to be changed less frequently.

Currently Iā€™m using screen share with my macs to control hqplayerā€¦but it would be great not to have to do thatā€¦and instead use ios or android for control via roon remote.

I was pleased to recently purchase HQPlayer licences through @bibo01. Quick easy transaction and a very attractive price for combined Win and Mac/Linux compared to the Signalyst list price. Thanks Gianluca.

Secondly, I agree with Gianluca and Robert about the attractions of configuring HQP within Roon. Swapping between programs to configure is less than desirable. Of course, it is a great deal more desirable than not being able to use HQP with Roon at all, so itā€™s all relative :grinning:

In general terms it seems to me that Roon has a design goal to keep configuration options under the hood where possible. The design of HQP, on the other hand, is very utilitarian and is quite happy to expose powerful configuration options out in the open. There is a tension between the two. Being able to store some presets in Roon and send them to HQP sounds like a great solution.

Eventually I would hope to see HQP pass distribution back to Roon . I asked Jussi/Miska about that on CA and he referred to his NAA solution and noted that having HQP operate in an ā€˜effects loopā€™ way could compromise SQ. I think that means not at this stage, because so far as I can tell he has never done anything in HQP that would compromise SQ.

1 Like

Drop down menus within Roon for changing HQPlayer output setting would be great, but probably saving 4 presents and be able to select from Roon is still pretty good. Normally, one has two sets for SDM and two for PCM.

Given a choice, Iā€™d prefer to have some of the basic HQP options configurable in Roon, but I certainly wouldnā€™t want something like that to delay the release of the Roon/HQP integration!

I can happily live with going HQP to change the 3 drop down lists, especially because I donā€™t change them often. Iā€™ve experimented and found the configuration I like and I donā€™t have a need to alter it on a regular basis.

Tangentially, I wonder if weā€™ll need to stop playback in Roon prior to making adjustments in HQP? I would assume so.

1 Like

I have just purchased HQPlayer licences through @bibo01. Easy transaction and excellent communication from Gianluca.

I purchased a combined Win and Mac/Linux licence at very attractive price. Even a single licence is a worthwhile saving over the Signalyst list price. Thank you Gianluca.

I have trialled HQ Player for the past couple of weeks and while it can initialy seem a bit of a chore to set up I think itā€™s worthwhile. Iā€™m using HQP on Win 10 and a Cubox NAA. It works very well.

As mentioned above, If some of the basic HQ Player options could be accessed from within Roon that would be great but the main goal for me is Roon to be the UI to HQP.

Any time frame for HQ integration?

1 Like

There is a release intended before Christmas. If I were a betting man ā€¦

Fingers crossedā€¦

Itā€™s at the final stages of alpha testing, I think your going to get a nice Xmas present :wink:

4 Likes

I have to admit to zero understanding of this HQPlayer. Is it relevant when using Meridian end points ? It all sounds far too complicated.

No. As I understand it its for the outputs from a computer. Roon would still send the bit-perfect stream to a networked endpoint.

2 Likes

HQP is integrated as a network zone in Roon. After the audio chain passes to HQP then HQP controls the output. It recognises USB outputs or any device running itā€™s own Network Audio Adaptor (NAA) daemon. This thread has some discussion and links about what HQP does.

Anyone try out the new beta version of Hqplayer? Any big changes ?

Iā€™ve been running the HQP 3.12 beta. Apart from the capacity to integrate with Roon there is nVidia CUDA GPU offload support (which I havenā€™t tried) as described in this CA thread. No other big changes.

So, are we still expecting the integration before Christmas?

Iā€™ve already purchased my HQPlayer license from bibo01 (thanks) and now have been doing most of my listening thru it instead of Roon. I only have a 96/24bit headphone dac/amp but clearly hear an improvement with HQPlayer over Roon. Mostly with the separation and clarity of the instruments. Itā€™s not night and day but just enough where I know my system has never sounded better.

But to use it, I have to convert my iTunes ALAC tracks to AIFF and then drag and drop into the player. I canā€™t wait to just use the beautiful Roon interface and get HQPlayer sound quality, along with hearing Tidal tracks thru it as well.

1 Like

Regarding the possibility to change HQPlayer output setting from Roon, there is something interesting and possibly useful for development because Miska has written:

The hqp-control in 3.12 has some extensions on this front. You just need to make sure playback is in stopped state and then use following order for making settings:
1) Set mode (PCM/SDM)
2) Set filter
3) Set dither/modulator
4) Set output rate

1 Like
7 Likes