HQPlayer Embedded Discussion [2021-2022]

A bit of a wild guess, but had somewhat similar issues with older PC’s - can you try switching off “secure boot” option or similar in BIOS if it’s at all there?..

You can always install on a minimal linux server, e.g. Debian or Ubuntu.

1 Like

HQPlayer OS requires UEFI boot, so it is not going to work on such hardware.

However, you should be able to install Ubuntu Server 22.04 and HQPlayer Embedded there.

I believe both should be able to do it. I don’t have either one, so I cannot confirm.

Does it need to be a mini PC? Because you can get better cooling and more powerful CPU for less price going a bit bigger with desktop grade CPUs.

1 Like

Thanks @jussi_laako for your response. I am also contemplating going for a full blown PC at this stage as well.

My shortlisted cpu candidates are Ryzen 5 5600X and 5600G. Main difference between these being:

L3 cache of 5600X is 2x of 5600G, i.e, 32MB vs 16MB.

Base clock of 5600x is 3.7Ghz vs 3.9Ghz of 5600Ghz

Max clock of 5600x is 4.6Ghz vs 4.4Ghz of 5600Ghz

No onboard gpu with 5600X vs onboard gpu of 5600G

Looking at these is 5600G better or 5600X to get the best performance for hqplayer (specifically embedded)? Does having 2X of L3 cache help with oversampling in hqplayer?

What I’ve heard reports, I think both should work fine at least up to DSD256 with EC modulators. Possibly also to DSD512.

For certain filters, amount of cache matters. But OTOH, for modulators clock rates matter.

I don’t have either one. I have just 5800X that can very easily do DSD512. And 5900HS on a laptop which can do DSD256.

I have just received an HQPlayer USB hardware key from Signalyst.

Ordered on tuesday afternoon, got it on Friday morning, amazing turn-around @jussi_laako ! Thank you.

This means I’m no loger linked to my hardware “fingerprint”

And that means - I can now plug my new 12900KS into hqp station without bothering Jussi with key update request and afterwards observe where that “KS” thing can lead me !

7 Likes

Hello,

I just bought a pi4 and installed the trial version of hqp embedded.
The intention is to use it as upsampler device. The chain I am aiming looks like this:

Android phone running spotify --usb cable–> pi4 w/ hqp --usb–> ddc --i2s–> dac

Can you link me to the discussion on how to achieve this?
Thank you.

Here it is Using any audio source with HQPlayer - Spotify, Amazon, Apple Music, YouTube Music, Deezer, Soundcloud - #975 by jussi_laako

1 Like

Is it possible to manage 2 Ethernet outputs with HQP OS? I may consider to add a dedicated server for HQP but I would like to not add a switch. One Ethernet cable would be linked to the router with DNS and the second to the NAA endpoint.

Thanks in advance.

Not really. There’s no benefit in doing so and it will cause problems.

Adding a proper switch is a good option and doesn’t cost much. Less than 100 EUR.

2 Likes

Hi @Phil_Active_Audio

When designing my network with dedicated HQP server, ROCK and NAA, I went for classical star network topology, introducing two unmanaged switches (for my use case…)

Here’s couple of metrics on how the HQP traffic looks from inside:

Look at the red line - HQP receiving 641Kib/s from ROCK (this was for 44,1 content) and sending 12,1-13,1 Mib/s to NAA (that is for DSD 1024x48, and PCM 1,5Mhz circles around the same figures not breaking 13 Mib/s)

What does it mean?

13.5 Mib/s = 0.113246208 Gbps

Cat 5e standard is 1 Gbps bandwidth - whole lot of headroom - and it happened that I had only spare Cat 5e 10 meter cable handy at a time and this is how HQP server sitting in a cellar is connected to a switch.

1. ifconfig:

Machine has been playing for 14 hours non stop (yep, this time I just fell asleep on my sofa :slight_smile:

I’d say the network performance is top - %% of dropped received packets RX is infinitely low, and on transmitting side TX all is clean.

Upstairs family is running Netflix HD and at least two other mobile gadgets are browsing internet with media content…

4 Likes

Seems I’m not the only one sleeping on :couch_and_lamp: listening :headphones:on HQPlayer :rofl:. My DSD256 was a real milestone

2 Likes

Headphones plugged into Neo iDSD ?

NAA OS on RPi4?

Headphones :headphones: on Accuphase :radio:

Option 1 input: DAC-60 NAA ASIO HQPlayer
Balanced CD input: ifi Zen Streamer + ifi NEO iDSD Roon

My Rpi4 NAA is taking a nap :sleeping:

1 Like

Anyone had any experience with Gentoo player? Looking at using it as an NAA on my Pi3B+ because of the ability to try different Linux Kernels.

you should be able to use any kernel that works on your platform already. You need to grab the kernel, the headers and any dev stuff you may want.

each linux variant handles it a bit differently but it is similar enough in flow.

for ubuntu and mint. here:

raspbian

etc.

Hi!
Is this pretty much in a nutshell how to install? How do I add the license?

To admin is by browser right?

Many thanks!

Hi @Moy

The post that you quoted is for people upgrading to Ubuntu Jammy.

Which means they already had HQP Embedded installed on Ubuntu Focal, so there wasn’t many steps required.

To install from scratch is more involved :smile:

These are from my notes I saved. After you install Ubuntu Jammy:

sudo apt-get -y update

sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade

sudo apt install -f ; sudo apt autoremove --purge ; sudo apt clean

sudo apt-get install linux-lowlatency-hwe-22.04

reboot

sudo apt-get install alsa-utils

wget https://www.sonarnerd.net/src/focal/libgmpris_2.2.1-8_amd64.deb

sudo dpkg -i libgmpris_2.2.1-8_amd64.deb

sudo wget https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/hqplayerd/jammy/hqplayerd_4.32.5-143avx2_amd64.deb

sudo dpkg -i hqplayerd_4.32.5-143avx2_amd64.deb

sudo systemctl restart hqplayerd

sudo apt install -f

You can also install Roon Server on same machine.

2 Likes

Very easy - yes all done in web browser.

Your HQP Desktop license will not work with HQP Embedded - need seperate license to be purchased for Embedded.

2 Likes

Is it an update payment if I already have a desktop on my Mac? Or need to buy a second license?

If run Desktop windows 10 HQPlayer I can use my Mac Desktop license? It’s actually using at same home just shifting between DAC