HQPlayer NAA set-up?

This one works on little chain now. Just got it new :hugs:. Think it is not so much required there as that one is using Pi400. So, here I am feeding DacMagic 200 via USB or via Hifiberry Tos. This one a testshot for USB. No reclocking. Just Jitter lowering. Guess more interesting for pre 4 Pis? Just had to restart Pi 400 for HQP seeing NAA again. Thatsā€™s all :hugs: JitterBug FMJ Ā· AudioQuest // Alpha Audio - Review Audioquest Jitterbug FMJ

++Edit, yes, I think that was a next step for little chain :slight_smile: +++ take a look at the links below before buyingā€¦

(Hm, I guess this is a bit ā€ždoubleā€œ with HQPā€¦But I like the sound :rofl:)

Innuos Phoenix USB reclocker review | Darko.Audio // With a link to an Audioquest Whitepaperā€¦

Did move this topic to here about Apple Camera Connection Kit and Jitter in general as I guess in this thread a better fit for this. Maybe others can share experience on this too? Pls. take a look at the discussion link posted there about bit perfect tests and jitter.Still have to read it myself.

Camera Connection Kit itself doesnā€™t have anything audio-specific. It is just a dongle to make USB port from iPhone/iPad available through Lightning connector.

Bit-perfectness then depends on the application and iOS/iPadOS CoreAudio stack.

This is similar to same thing on macOS.

2 Likes

my concerns are more about jitterā€¦ when you click, there is a link to a discussion about bit perfect tests and jitterā€¦this is what i have to understand better, if relevantā€¦

Thereā€™s no jitter since there are no D/A conversion clocks involved.

2 Likes

hm. Audioquest claims at Cobalt manual the following. So, if it is not Jitter related and bit perfectā€¦Why there should be any diferenceā€¦:flushed:

ā€ž Note: In our tests, Appleā€™s Lightning-to-USB 3 Camera Adapter (with charging port) sounds better and is more reliable than Appleā€™s less expensive Lightning-to-USB Adapter, while also providing the ability to charge during playback.ā€œ

This,is confusing. I am learning to understand your argumentation. It is logic, what you are telling. Anyway, for upgrading my ā€žbigā€œ chain, I believe I will only invest in something, where someone capable has done measurememts. But first myself has to learn about how to read those measurements. Thank you again Jussi. It is super important to me, what you are saying!

Edit: Back to school. I am reading now. Have a nice weekend and enjoy the music :smiley: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B08QTNL25L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_d_asin_title_o00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have both dongle variants, but from this point of view thereā€™s no difference.

Since the USB in this case is not used to connect a DAC, just transport data between two devices, I donā€™t see how it could affect the sound. Thereā€™s no audio clock being transmitted or such.

This goes to same category as worrying about jitter on internet when streaming Qobuz.

3 Likes

Logic what you are sayingā€¦ However Audioquest not just a unknown companyā€¦lolā€¦therefore i decided, want to see measuremens before putting serious money into somethingā€¦(not in regards to this 2 USD China Apple stuff of courseā€¦)

Edit: ā€ž Since the USB in this case is not used to connect a DAC, just transport data between two devices, ā€œ + Yep

The only measurement you need to see is a bit perfect transfer to your DAC.

Like an RME ADI-2 can show.

So itā€™s a simple thing the user can do.

Donā€™t need any involvement by Audioquest.

After bit perfect transfer to your DAC , then it all comes down to quality of your D to A conversion, the only place jitter matters as Jussi hinted.

well dabass, take a look at the forum link please that i posted in regards to bit perfect tests and jitter.

ah, the posted quote about the differences between the different CCKs is from Audioquest. Pls. see post above.

I donā€™t need to look at what Audioquest say because Iā€™ve talked to some of the best D to A designers on the planet and they say what Jussi has just said.

Anyway weā€™re off topic here, Iā€™ll stop at this :grinning:

1 Like

hm, interesting too maybeā€¦ you can configure them for i2s pinsā€¦ Pink Faun I2S Bridge

They are only considering the case of USB connection between computer and a DAC. And not the case where you connect two computers together.

1 Like

Yep, thank you for pointing to this explicit again!

I didā€™nt find anything with these words using Ctrl-F -technique (people probably use screenshots instead of text), so:

Iā€™m trying to boot into NAA, but I constantly get stuck on this error on boot:
ā€œA start job is running for Wait for udev to complete device initializationā€

Another part of that error (it loops between the above error and this):
ā€œA start job is running for Wait for Network to be configuredā€

Every 20th boot or so goes through and I donā€™t change anything between the boots. Iā€™ve created the usb stick using multiple different versions of NAA and I always get the same result: most of the boots are stuck in this loop but sometimes it goes through. Iā€™ve also tried different usb sticks and two different computers (NUC and Lenovo X1 Carbon). Same thing. Iā€™ve tried all imaginable BIOS configurations and settings in my Router (Asus ZenWifi), same thing. Iā€™m using direct ethernet cable (yes, tried different cables). I have also tried completely disconnecting the power cable for like 60s to make sure that NUC doesnā€™t keep any kind of state between boots in ram or something (not sure it those traces would survive that though :slight_smile: ).

Iā€™m starting to think that there is something wrong in the NAA images. Iā€™ve never had similar problems and Iā€™ve fiddled with probably 30 different linux distros in the past. The only thing that I can come up with that is special to my setup that has stayed constant is the router and that Iā€™m using intel CPU. However the boot shouldnā€™t be dependent on that.

There is something going on in the boot that to me looks like this: it creates several asynchronous tasks, but itā€™s dependent on in which order they are executed. Most of the time they come out in wrong order and thus it fails. Sometimes however the critical tasks takes a bit longer and the things that itā€™s dependent on manage to get themselves done in time. However debugging this goes beyond where Iā€™m willing to go. Unfortunately in itā€™s current form NAA is unusable as getting it up and running takes always like 15-20minutes of booting, waiting, trying and swearing. When I do get it working it seems to work great and be stable though.

If this is a known problem, I would be more than grateful if someone could point out what settings I have to have enabled somewhere to get things working.

I have it running for example on the UP Gateway and never had issues. And this is first report of such issue Iā€™ve seen.

When such happen, first suspect is multiple ethernet interfaces on the machine. The rule set says that all ethernet interfaces must become configured through DHCP for the boot process to complete.

You can also try to use HQPlayer OS image for NAA. It has different network configuration and bridges all interfaces (creates a software switch) and is happy once DHCP succeeds on the bridge interface, meaning on any of the ethernet interfaces.

You can turn HQPlayer OS image into plain NAA, by disabling HQPlayer Embedded there and you can also change itā€™s hostname to for example ā€œnaaā€.

Interesting, thank you for response.

Indeed at least NUC has only one ethernet port. I even physically detached the WiFi card exactly for this kind of reasons, to make sure that it didnā€™t intervene anything. With Lenovo naturally itā€™s not that simpleā€¦

And thanks for the tip on HQPlayer OS. Is there some guide on how to do the disabling and changing the hostname? I will do that next time I have problems. Right now I got it to boot after resetting the factory settings of NUC (not sure if these are related) so I dare not to touch anything :slight_smile:

P.S. Itā€™s probably not a bad idea to include similar kind of bridging also to NAA. It may well be that some customers (or worse, potential customers) have had similar problems and just dropped it without reaching to you.

Not much, but first login as ā€œrootā€ from console - no password. Then you can disable hqplayerd by doing:

systemctl stop hqplayerd ; systemctl disable hqplayerd

You can edit hostname with

nano /etc/hostname

And can then just do ā€œrebootā€.

Bridging has small CPU hit because of the software switch. And NAA OS wantā€™s to be 100% optimized single purpose image. This is one reason thereā€™s NAA functionality is also on HQPlayer OS instead, so you can get the NAA functionality working with bridging in case you have more CPU power.

Other alternatives is to install minimal Ubuntu Server, Fedora Minimal (from Server installer), or minimal Debian and then install networkaudiod package there.

Intel NUCs should certainly work fine. It is of course good to check that you have latest BIOS. But not sure what could be the issue here.

1 Like

Thanks for the support! Iā€™ll keep this for the future in case I have further problems. For now it seems that resetting to the factory settings of NUC seemed the solve the problem. It was a nasty problem as it sometimes worked and sometimes not, which directed me to think there is something problematic in the software (especially as I had the same problem with my laptop). What made it even harder to debug was that I needed to open UDP ports from my other computerā€™s firewall where I had hqplayer running. Sometimes it hit the range I had open already and sometimes it couldnā€™t connect. This acted more as a unrelated distraction, but after some hard hours the mind starts to fly wildā€¦ :slight_smile:

I just wanted to leave this for others that come after me. If you have problems with NUC, reset factory settings from BIOS! And those who canā€™t connect to NAA, disable your firewall from your computer where you have the HQPlayer and restart HQPlayer to see that this is not the problem (especially on linux where you generally donā€™t allow applications in firewall, but ports/port ranges for TCP/UDP).