I could not use airplay method in TV remote App to connect to my amplifier- NAD M10

[Help Needed] Recently I used new Apple TV 4K to listen to music and watch movies. I opened Tidal App on my Apple TV 4k and I used airplay method, as it can offer better sound, to connect to my amplifier- NAD M10. Everything was fine. Then I opened the Netflix App to watch a movie and I used airplay method to connect to my amplifier. Everything was fine too.

However, the situation was different after I opened roon’s TV: Remote App and listen to music, I could use either RCA method and Bluetooth Method to connect to my amplifier- NAD M10, but I could not use airplay method. Everytime after I assigned " airplay to my amplifier" as sound output for Apple TV 4K and returned to TV: Remote App, the sound output changed to Bluetooth or RCA method.

Is the above-mentioned problem was due to TV: Remote App’s own bug, or I missed something there? Help needed here!

@Kevin_Hsu Have you enabled the ATV as an endpoint in Roon Core?
Roon > Settings > Audio?

The TV:Remote app is a Roon extension that allows control of all zones that have been enabled in the Core. All audio playback is handled by the Roon Core.

Does playback in the above setup work for you if you use the official Roon apps and not the extension?

@R_102

Yes,I did enable. Otherwise, I was not able to use TV Remote. Also, as I mentioned in my previous note, I can listen to music in TV remote app’s my collections by Bluetooth or RCA methods connected to my amplifier.

I can use roon app smoothly on my windows 10 PC with roon core inside.

Ok, correct me if i’m wrong but it sounds like you’re trying to use the TV:Remote app to AirPlay audio from the ATV to the NAD M10?

If so, that won’t work. The TV:Remote is only a remote for Roon.

Is the NAD M10 enabled as an audio endpoint in Roon? If so, you could then use the TV:Remote extension to select and play media in the NAD M10 zone.

2 Likes

Thanks for your answer. I now can listen to music thru TV Remote by assigning an endpoints(in zones)either to NAD M10 or to Airplay-NAD M10.

However,there are two questions here:

1. When I opened TV Remote on Apple TV 4K, Apple TV 4K was one of the endpoints listed in “Zones”,along with NAD M10 or to Airplay- NAD M10.In my understanding, if I assigned roon audio to Apple TV 4K,then Apple TV 4K took the job of sending audio out. Since Apple TV supports Bluetooth and Airplay2, in theory, I can hear the audio either thru Bluetooth or Airplay2, which NAD M10 also supports. Then, why can’t I hear the audio thru Airplay but I can thru Bluetooth?

2. There is “Transfer zone” function that I can use in iPhone’s Roon Remote App , but I can not find this function in TV Remote App. Is this function not built in TV Remote or I miss it?

1 Like

In answer to 1.

You wiil need to use Apple TVs system airplay to send it out Roon audio output, Roon has no control of this and may just not work if your trying to resend out via Airplay as it’s receiving music via Airplay not sure if it’s a two way street with Airplay. The app your using is nothing more than a dumb remote control for the Roon server to tell it what to play. The app Itself has no means to output audio it cannot send via Airplay

All music is sent from the Roon server to an endpoint to then output, you currently have chosen to send to the Apple TV via Airplay as that’s how Roon will see it Roon server is sending audio direct to Apple TV not the remote app like Tidal etc. So Roon has no control on how the audio is output after that. It will output via what the Apple TV is set up to do by default HDMI. So if it’s connected via Bluetooth the Apple TV will output audio via it. You basically trying to do something the app isn’t designed to do.

You would just use the normal Roon ready zone to send music to the M10 whilst using the Apple TV, there is no need for Airplay here at all. The remote will then tell Roon to play music to the M10.

No idea unlikely it’s been added by the developer , this is not an official Roon app so you could request this . He has a thread in tinkering I believe.

1 Like

Thanks for your answer, a question here is listed below for your kind reply:
In my understanding, if I choose Apple TV as endpoint, audio will be sent to Apple TV via local network by roon 's technology called RATT, not via Airpaly.
If what I said above is correct, then after audio was sent to Apple TV, I can assign the audio output using Apple TV’s control center, either thru defalt HDMI(Apple TV itself) or connected Bluetooth devices such as NAD M10, or Airplay supported devices such as NAD M10.
In other words, there is no two-way Airplay going on, audio data sent to Apple TV via RATT, audio data sent out from Apple TV to NAD M10 via Airplay if chosen. If what I said above is true, then there is no reason that I can not hear the music via Airplay from NAD M10. Help needed here.

Answer 1: @Simon_Arnold3 has got you covered on that answer. I’m pretty sure sending and receiving to an AirPlay device simultaneously isn’t supported by AirPlay.

Streaming audio to the Apple TV from Roon will use the AirPlay protocol not RATT.
The Apple TV isn’t RoonReady (RATT) capable.

Answer 2: The transfer feature isn’t in the app - I’d have to check if it’s available via the Roon API. I think it is…

1 Like

Thanks for your answer, I can now better understand how roon works.

One thing has brought to my interest. I looked up the page regarding the TV Remote App in Apple’s App Strore and found that the supplier is Russell Valiant, I believe that is your name. My questions here are listed below:
1.Why the App was not developed by roon Lab and instead by you?
2.What is your relationship with roon Lab?
3.Can you make lots of money by developing and selling this App?

Please feel free to answer, if you do not want to answer, that’s fine. The gratitude to you(from me) is always here!

1 Like

On the TV Remote,what does the three circles stand for on the “Queue “ section’s top right? Thanks for reply!

It’s the button to toggle Roon Radio on / off.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.