I don’t like 1.8 - it feels like a massive failure

is the new release rolled out automatically as we speak? Since I cannot use settings I cannot check my current release status nor can I actively search for updates :wink:

There’s unfortunately only one word to describe this: UNPROFESSIONAL

This could have been a GREAT release because there are so many good ideas. But the execution… Oh dear…

5 day Beta period? Really? Gimme a break! There are one-man-shops in software that are acting much more professional then this couple-of-million-dollar outlet.

7 Likes

I just used my Mac to update the core, so waiting for the Appstore to update.

1 Like

Absolutely! 100% Did they think that noone would notice? Or did they think an army of “everything roon does is wonderful” fanatics , would shut the complainers up?
This is just plain ignorant. Also, where were the big Roonies? They were pretty vocal in the time before the “greates ever” release.
The most frustrating thing is, it only took them half a day to fix the problem with the setup - if it was that easy, why not do it before the Release and save us all the frustration and also the brown-storm?

I really was excited and all pumped up for the new release - but it could not have started worse.

7 Likes

Done. Can access Settings now.

I don’t know what your home network is like or what platforms you are using, but I never experienced any issues with speed on my network systems. I have Roon Rock installed on an i5 Intel NUC and my Roon control apps are installed on a Windows 10 Desktop PC (32" monitor), a Windows 10 Touch Screen Laptop and an iPad Air. I have over 2,500 albums in my library, but loading up my “Album View” page in version 1.7 and scrolling forwards and backwards through my albums (90 albums per page on my 32" monitor) is instantaneous.

I have no idea why your load times were so slow, but something was obviously amiss, and from my experience it wasn’t the software.

4 Likes

v1.8’s voice is not good

1 Like

Hi, welcome. Seems you have joined at a bad time. What do you mean? The audio?

This is a typical example of when someone fell in love with an idea and then nailed blinders to their skull so as not to see or hear other opinions.

I can only hope they learn something from this. But I’m not sure about it.

4 Likes

After the new update it seems now to work. But I’m having stops in playing music from the internal HD from my Nucleus. Music is playing for several minutes and then stops. Anyone else having this problem too ?

It wasn’t a beta test. It was just called that. I suspect they just wanted confirmation and applause for their great achievement. That we confronted them with about 20 errors within 15 minutes was apparently not expected. Why they didn’t want to recognize or see their own mistakes for themselves remains a complete mystery to me. Just one example: After installing the 1.8 version, it took me less than 3 minutes to run into the error of the non-working settings. The boys all work decentralized. They don’t reside all in NYC, they are (according to Roon) distributed all over the world. Why doesn’t anyone notice that in all the months of development? This can be continued through the entire error number. In the end there is only one big question mark.

9 Likes

Seems fine to me on OSX and iOS. Not one crash.

Design is fine. At least things scroll vertically now. I can’t really say I’ve found anything to complain about.

I’ve more complaints about Tidal to be honest. Principally that I can’t tell it to never, ever show me a rap or hip hop album or defile my ears by playing one.

regression testing is key… might have been a development or fix somewhere else that did not undergo regression testing.

I absolutely agree with your other comments.

2 Likes

Sure those couple of days were only a PreRelease for valued Roon members. But there must have been a closed Betatest before that - what did those Betattesters do? Darko was obviously one of them, since he stated he had 1.8 for quite a while. Did none of these testers use the software - or did the Roonies simply ignore the feedback?
It’s a puzzlement.

2 Likes

I’m very curious if the Dutch version also works for me. I’m on a short break so not at home so can’t test Roon right now. But I’m shocked of all this negative messages and hope it would be less shocking as I read here. Tomorrow I will be coming home again and I know what to do first. No, not my suitcase :grimacing::wink:.

Roon Rock auf meinem NUC läuft einwandfrei in Version 1.8. Aber nur ansprechbar über mein Tablet. Sobald ich den Zugriff über Windows nutzen möchte passiert nichts mehr. Die Software lässt sich nicht starten. Es passiert gar nichts. Gestern konnte ich noch starten, aber hatte keine “Settings” zur Verfügung. Heute ist die Software “RoonInstaller64” nur noch eine Katastrophe. Ein zurück auf 1.7 funktioniert natürlich nicht, weil beim Start unter Windows sofort das Update auf 1.8 installiert wird und nach dem Neustart geht nichts mehr.

1 Like

The only good thing about Absolute black is it actually uses less power to display on OLED screens.

Neutral shades of gray always seem best.

Darko is ultimately nothing more than a paid publicist. He lives from promoting the manufacturers’ products. I have not yet seen any criticism from him that should be taken seriously.

6 Likes

Wha
t des
ign purpose does the do
uble (e
ven triple) album t
itle wit
h random lin
e brea
ks serv
e?

Function? Aesthetic? I don’t get it. Unnecessary double and triple lines taking up screen real estate in headers and footers for no apparent reason is everywhere in the UI. It’s not just in this view but it is one of the more in your face examples.

It is almost as if the designers couldn’t make up their minds what the purpose of the various views are. Some are primarily it seems to me are for editing and managing content and navigation. Those screens benefit from tighter fonts and more compact and higher contrast displays. A bit like 1.7. It could be argued 1.7 ended up looking like an e-tailer web-site, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. Those sites are designed after all to make navigation, choice, personalisation as simple and painless as possible. On the other hand, big fonts and more graphics and less distracting text can look good on a 60 inch screen from 10 feet away in your lounge but I cannot really see that any of the 1.8 design elements were taken over to my chromecast screen where they may have benefited. A lost opportunity.

Maybe the polarisation in response to 1.8 depends on your primary use-case? What is the purpose of the 1.8 UI? Navigation, content management, customisation, consumption? It’s not clear to me who it was aimed at.

18 Likes

Perhaps fans of Beethoven?

2 Likes