I don’t like 1.8 - it feels like a massive failure

That’s more than a bit ‘full,’ wouldn’t you think? Esp since the core users of Roon most likely people who ARE familiar with computers and tablets etc - plenty of creative types use Roon, and these days to be a creative, one has to use computers. In fact it’s most likely the ones who are the most vocal are people who know computers best and therefore quickly and easily realize the shortcomings of 1.8 vs just the casual user who goes, look, shiny and new!

9 Likes

I couldn’t have said it better, so I won’t try…ditto

Yea, @Ramiro_Salas I agree with the spirit. I do keep trying to get some folks to see why I think things have evolved the way they have, but probably should shut my own pie hole and get some work done. We’ll see how I do at that. Bravo for the succinct summary.

1 Like

‘The wrong bunch?’ Are we back in high school now?

3 Likes

Roon 1.8 is a disaster. Slowwwwww load time, glitchy loads, have to restart half the time, glithcy running, drop outs. I want to roll back!!!

7 Likes

Fair enough, me too; I re-installed and it’s working. Still having major storage issues though…

That is a sensible thing to do if you want to try out the product right now.

I have taken a different approach and have decided not to ‘upgrade’ and hold off until 1.8 is a little more bedded in. I will continue to use 1.7 (which works flawlessly) for the time being in the knowledge this will be a temporary refuge, because it will no doubt soon be discontinued by Roon.

Legacy 1.7 obviously runs on a completely different platform, maybe even hosted by a different hosting partner so Roon won’t want to pay for both longer than they have to.

My only casualty is the iPad Air I used to use as control for one of my Roon endpoints. Luckily, I have a touchscreen Windows 10 laptop that I can use as a substitute with that endpoint.

3 Likes

Version 1.8 seems from a visual perspective to be much better, especially on phones and tablets and in particular on portrait view on these devices.

3 Likes

Welcome, and glad to see new voices here… or at least voices of new users.

1 Like

Agreed. It now needs to catch-up with all the functionalities that went missing or are broken in1.8

2 Likes

Be sure to select “ ask before downloading software “ in the about section where the download reminder is found. Otherwise, Roon will update to 1.8 automatically on your Core.

I’m sorry you are having issues. However, not all of us are in your situation. I really like it.

3 Likes

Thanks Law_Hindle - I have already done that. My only casualty was my iPad app which downloaded automatically, but I have other devices I can use.

I doubt if 1.7 will stick around for long, so I guess I’ll have to move to 1.8 fairly soon in any case,

1 Like

It’s strange that no one talks about sound. For me, the sound became different. Not so natural and generally more popy. ROON initially attracted attention with its sound. Now there are questions. It’s just that the long-loved and familiar tracks began to sound differently. And this is not a taste difference. Distortion is heard where it was not previously. Perhaps it seems, but…

hmmm, maybe you are in the wrong thread. Try this one.

2 Likes

For me, the sound is exactly the same…

2 Likes

No problemo here… Works like a charm, little bit getting used to, but nothing to get upset about. I am running lifetime Roon core on dedicated HP DL380G8 server with Windows Server 2012 R2. Nothing else…! Couple of Cubox players in Totaldac systems and a Lumin U1. Using iPad as well as Samsung phone for remote control. Sometimes my Windows 10 PC… I have Qobuz high res integrated and 56865 tracks in 4589 albums of 2132 artists. 98% are FLAC between 44.1 and 96 kHz.

3 Likes

In a nutshell, what’s most distressing about Roon is that they seem bent on not giving the user choices with the software. It’s Roon-way or go away.

5 Likes

Would the wordings be far too strong?

10 Likes

Is it common to use roon as a one stop shop? Maybe a lot of the strong views, attachment/detachment (on both sides) are maybe to do with that. I thought most were using lots of different tools and players and just bits of roon.