I don’t like 1.8 - it feels like a massive failure

Same here, no issues but I can’t locate the pie chart or graph that supposed to show history of listening

You are probably referring to the language settings within the roon app. To use the workaround you need to change the iOS language in the iOS preference settings for the entire device. Then the crashes should be gone.

While I find the wording of the original post a tad too harsh, I definitely agree with the notion that 1.8 is a MAJOR STEP BACK. I can only hope that Roon will take these comments seriously and start working on the growing list of isses/complaints.

3 Likes

I had my iPad Air (latest model) and iPhone 12 Pro crashing with 1.7 a few times. The issue was solved just restarting mi iPad and iPhone. Not a single crash so far with 1.8. Using Synology DS1019+ NAS as Roon Core and several iOS devices as remotes. I do like the interface in dark mode better than 1.7. This weekend I’ll be setting up a Lenovo ThinkCentre M90n as ROCK/Windows Roon Server to get the Core out of my NAS which is also running Surveillance Station and Time Machine Backups plus music storage. BTW, I have ZERO drops even with intensive use on my NAS. It has 8GB of memory, though,

What do you mean? You still need roon license to use it…?no?

Roon, why don’t you love desktop users anymore?? What’d we do?

5 Likes

I think thats the problem. Only had a quick look, will check later in a bit more detail.

1 Like

Apart from the looks, sound quality has improved. More detail and nuance.

Alas, also some negatives here:

1. Installation menu shows only 1st tab. can’t reach audio tab.
  2. HQPlayer endpoints do not work.
  3. DSP upsampling (to DSD) also does not seem to work

it also counts the sections, if present, Thanks for crosschecking.

Nope. English in iOS settings.

Its on the Home screen/page - if you scroll down from the Recent Activity section at the top…you will come to this:-

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

It was my understanding that there would be no changes in sound quality with this release.

So much is wrong with 1.8 that there’s something (several things) for most people to dislike. It’s hard to look at and and harder to use.

They need to just concede that it’s a failure, roll back to 1.7 and really start listening to their customers. But that would require a level of humility that is unfortunately all too rare.

6 Likes

I am not yet quite sure about the benefit of these counts… even assuming they are correct for a second…

1 Like

From Roon 1.8 is live!

Audio stack improvements

The audio pipeline in the Roon Core has been optimized to reduce memory traffic and CPU usage. We have also improved the efficiency and mathematical accuracy of the dithering algorithm used for DSP.

Without starting a flame war, bit perfect is still bit perfect but some tweaks were done.

1 Like

Yup you need the Roon license, but can run ROCK for free.

I got more-and-more the feeling that testreports did not reach development for whatever reason.

1 Like

Is there a way to reverse the upgrade please ?
Roon v 1.7 was all i needed. Not this buggy piece of software.
Rember Roon Team, i paid € 500,- for a lifetime membership. Up till yesterday i was very happy with the Roon streaming software. If i cannot reverse back to the (stable) 1.7 version, i will have to abandon ship, and start looking for a Roon competitor, i am sorry to say.

6 Likes

Always provided he was also paid for his test and has not only done it “for the honor” to be allowed to look into the new version as early as possible. Otherwise the “management” can tell what it wants, it will have no effect ;).

I am not having any problems with Settings, either in iPadOS or on my desktop PC. I wonder why the difference?

2 Likes