I messed something up: This version of Roon is not compatible with your database

This morning I opened Windows and the Roon logo on the homescreen looked different. When I clicked on it, it said that the shortcut was moved. I couldnt find Roon anywhere so I reinstalled it from the website. I wasn’t thinking straight because I was barely awake. And I dont know alot about computers or Windows.

Now I could open Roon again, but it said that this version of Roon wasnt compatible with my database. I have no idea what to do now. It seems like I have 2 installs now. What can I do to get Roon running again with all my tags etc?

Can you please say more about your Roon and network setup? For example:

Roon Core Machine

Include your operating system and machine info (Model, CPU, RAM)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Your network gear (model of routers/switches) and if on WiFi/Ethernet

Thanks for helping. Roon functioned fine for a long time so I dont thinks its a network issue?

My NUC is connected to the router via ethernet

Specs

Operating System
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 @ 1.80GHz 32 °C
Kaby Lake-U/Y 14nm Technology
RAM
32,0GB
Motherboard
Default string Default string (U3E1)
Graphics
LG TV SSCR2 (3840x2160@29Hz)
Intel UHD Graphics 620 (Intel)
Storage
476GB Western Digital WDC PC SN720 SDAPNTW-512G-1006 (Unknown (SSD))
1863GB Seagate Expansion SCSI Disk Device (USB (SATA) ) 31 °C
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
DENAFRIPS USB DAC

On 14-3 everything was still fine.

Can you post a screenshot of the Roon window showing the precise error message that Roon is now displaying?

And just to clarify, you are using an Intel NUC that has Windows installed and which has the “all-in-one” (Core, Control, Output components) version of Roon on it.

Do you have a third-party Anti-Virus package installed, or are you using Windows Defender?

Have you backups available of the Roon database?

Thanks.

Windows defender is on I think. No extra anti-virus software.

I have a backup from a year ago. Shouldve done that more often :frowning:

And the NUC is all in one indeed. I do use remote apps on my phone and tablet.

That error message is usually a sign that an older format of the database was detected as being present. Do you happen to know what version/build number of Roon you had running last?

I think it was the latest since I always updated everything when I got the update available popup. But I had never had any problems before I added the new install (so so stupid). Is there any way I can check that?

Hmm - that looks very much like you were running version 1.8 of Roon going by the date on the Roon.exe file, and that folder name (10081105 - which translates to version 1.8 build 1105).

Strange that your reinstall didn’t overwrite the old version of Roon.exe and put in a new folder like this on my Windows installation of Roon:

Just a minute - did you install the legacy version (1.8) of Roon instead of the production version (2.0) by mistake? That might explain what we’re seeing in your folders and files…

Edit: yet the date on the Roon.exe file is from last September. Basically, I’m stumped…

I downloaded the one thats pop up on the website first. I didnt check which version it was. I thought I had the latest version installed already but maybe that wasnt the case? I have an old backup on a disk.

Go here,scroll down to this.

Download

Thanks for your suggestion. Im not sure that I understand what you mean. What should I see there?

Given the screen shots provided by you, something strange is going on. The symptoms described seem like you were on the latest build and then installed an older version.

Given that you said you installed a newly downloaded version that is even more confusing. It might be that Support will need to get involved so that they can look at your server and logs to see what is going on behind the scenes. They will are available mon-fri and I’ve given them a ping @support.

Down towards the bottom of the page where it says Roon. ,click on the blue “windows” to download up to date version.

I dont know what you mean by a ping haha. What should I do now?

It just means that by using the “@support” user name he has contacted the support team directly for you. They will get an alert pointing them to his message.