I noticed that lifetime price Increased!

Can Roon Start the revised lifetime subscription on End of December 2019?

1 Like

I read Danny’s offer to imply that up until the time of the increase…30 days prior to or in a trial period prior to the increase. Not for someone who has signed up after the increase went live. But Maybe Danny will be more explicit soon.

I bought the lifetime, because the annual was to high for me (in addition to Tidal). I think a price below 100 would result in more subscribers. Maybe you really should try 99 for a month or at least a weak. It could be connected to an event or a new big release.

Totally understandable move by Roon. The lifetime membership offer at $499 was not exactly short lived.

1 Like

@danny

Please stay adamant in what you are doing. I see the price increase as a perfect middle-step between staying where it was ( = 499USD lifetime subscription) and not being available at all ( = no available lifetime subscription). Kudos!

People had literally years to subscribe for life, being warned continuously that the option might go away anytime. And you clearly articulated your reasons for the current decision and the way it was executed. Therefore, in my view, no need to explain or discuss your decision further.

7 Likes

Some potential suggestions for the future:

• Decreasing yearly subscription to 99USD (as per one of the previous comments) might be a good strategic move, as long as it is economically viable of course.
  • Providing a way for ‘lifetimers’ to pay some decreased annual rate (example: 49USD, paid optionally starting from Roon ver. 2.0) might be a good future compromise to keep yourself happy (more income) and to keep the folks happy (development continues, lifetimers are still getting special treatment financially compared to annual subscribers).

@danny Can I upgrade to lifetime for 499 on the trial at the moment until 24th so did create it before price increase

There’s two sides to that argument, I’m pretty sure I’d have dumped Roon by now if it wasn’t for my lifetime purchase. They’ve prob got twice the revenue from me that they otherwise would have. Also the AUD has fallen and the US price is now much higher than when I bought it so I’d be reluctant to do an annual sub if I was looking now.

The removal of library management is a real pain, it’s like they just gave up.

I’m glad that Danny replied to the thread and explained the effect on the company of smaller regular subscription rather than the one off lifetime payment. I fall into the grace period for the original price but I am conflicted about what I should do.

I want to continue with Roon as I am enjoying the trial period but what is better for me? Supporting Roon on an ongoing basis to help support the development or submit to FOMO and grab at the lifetime and possibly slow down or hurt new features.

As someone currently on an annual plan, I’d like the opportunity to upgrade to lifetime at the $499 price. Seems the people who were smart enough to sign up for the lifetime plan previously are more likely to support the unannounced price increase. :wink:

Everyone want to get you on the monthly subscription model. I am all monthly subscribed out.

1 Like

i had just converted my qobuz subscription from monthly to annual and was planning to convert my roon sub from annual to lifetime…

it would have been nice to have been given a heads-up on the price increase. most companies announce price increases in advance of their taking effect.

i would urge roon to offer all current subscribers the ability to convert at the $499 price for a limited period of time. this would seem the correct course from a customer relations perspective.

…i would also think it would be a revenue maximizing strategy as many current subscribers would make the switch. otherwise the break-even period is sufficiently long enough that it no longer makes sense to switch as 1) competing software / technology will certainly emerge in the future and 2) an individuals need for roon may not extend that far into the future.

in any event, the attractiveness of proprietary control apps such as the excellent one from Lumin just took a huge leap upward.

Hmmm, not sure why my post was removed? There is going to be a range of opinions on this and related topics. My post wasn’t especially critical of Roon.

A message would’ve been nice.

Do what is in your best interest. Roon is. Nothing wrong with that.

1 Like

Danny explained why they did not do this here.

2 Likes

Do other companies give you a ‘heads up’ before they implement price increases? I don’t think so.
In that respect, Roon is no different.
I think @danny offer is more than fair/generous.

1 Like

commonly companies announce price increases effective at some date in the future. neflix is a good example.

For me Roon was love at first sight. I went straight from trial to the lifetime subscription in the past couple of months and glad I did. I’m setting up for retirement on a fixed income and needed to get the expense out of the way. I would have paid the new price or found a way to cover the yearly subscription. It is that important to me.

3 Likes

You are comparing apples and oranges. We did not increase the price of the annual. That would be most similar to Netflix’s pricing. We increase the lifetime, which Netflix does not have, nor would they ever announced an increase in.

As I stated above, if our goal was to do an easy win of cash flow, we would announce it. Quite oppositely, our goal is to make a correction in our revenue model that is healthy for the long term. This hurts our short-term cash flow, but positions us better for long life.

11 Likes

200$ increase without prior notice to customers…
It destroys trust.
And no trust, no money.

1 Like