I wonder what's going to be in 1.6?

Loads of LOL

Easily the most grotesque thing I’ve seen all year. Now, I have that picture in my head.:laughing:

3 Likes

I know what the main feature of 1.6 will be; a complete ‘JRiver’ skin to give Roon the makeover that so many have been asking for…

2 Likes

I am eager to see a better integration between Tidal and Roon. All the songs I am adding them into a playlist inside Tidal are not being added into Tidal, but only inside Roon as separate playlist.

When I later want to listen Tidal in my car or while I am away, there is no chance to have with me the playlist I have created home in Roon.

3 Likes

The tracks you add in room won’t flow back into Tidal, this has come up before and it’s how roon is designed. Not defending just explaining what the roon team have said previously.

Why should Roon look like jriver?

I think that was also @Anthony_B’s question.

Just to clarify current functionality:

Albums and Songs added to your Library in Roon will appear in your Collection in Tidal.

Albums and Songs favorited in Tidal will appear in your Library in Roon.

Playlists created in Tidal are available in Roon.

I think the only piece that doesn’t work is a playlist created in Roon won’t be available as a playlist in Tidal.

I’m not sure anyone wants that. What would be good would be more configurability as to drill-downs and trees - i.e. what set of objects are displayed and then what set of objects is displayed after you click on an object from the first set, etc.

This would be one way to let users handle box sets and classical music without the Roon team having to hard code those things and then only please a portion of the user base.

J River does look a little dated (so do I) and it definitely feels like a computer interface. But its flexibility as to display and click behavior is really very good.

Ok. I understand.

It shouldn’t, that’s the point. My tongue in cheek post was a response to the frequent requests ‘Why can’t Roon be just like my existing music player’ (invariably JRiver), much to the horror of most of us, who use Roon precisely because it isn’t like JRiver! :slight_smile:

11 Likes

But JRiver has a Web browser, photo editor, CD ripper, TV tuner software and a whole slew of other stuff. But then its a “Media Center”…so being able to edit videos for YouTube is okay.

However would it be fair to want Roon be be all things Audio?

I personally don’t want roon to be all things audio. I want it to continue down the path of being an organiser of my collection and a gateway to enable discovery music and musicians related to it.

10 Likes

Actually that’s why I too moved away from jriver, they kept adding things I didn’t want and made me disable them to get back to using it for music.
DNLA and Universally Not Plug and Play drove me mad.

7 Likes

This characterization seems to way overstate the occasional request to mimic another media player. I would say 90%+ of posts on this forum are positive towards Roon. It’s amazing to me how much that other 10% gets under some people’s skin.:thinking:

Careful with that tongue Eugene

I still have both active because my Soundbar WiFi requires DLNA, as does my video streamer . This adds its own complications

To be honest the 2 are so different as to be incomparable, yes they both play music and have a library but beyond that they diverge

I use Roon universally for music, JRiver for video

I must admit th configurable nature of JRiver is good to adjust what you see rather than what you’re given approach in Roon

Vive la difference

1 Like

Jack of All Trades, master of none.

1 Like

versus Jack of One Trade, Master of Not Even That One

Ha ha! It must be tough slumming it over here then! :joy: