Identifying MQA Albums from Tidal from within ROON

If it is such a day and night difference true believers tell us all the time, it must be easy to be identified by simply listen to each version for a few seconds.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t call myself a true believer to this point because I don’t have a decoder so the night and day thing is speculative.

If you play it, Roon will tell you what it is. No need for the capacity for “true belief”.

+1

Would be nice when browsing Tidal albums to identy which are Masters versus CD-quality ones, in process of adding to Library. Yes playing 1 track will tell, now this is not a smart workaround.

Roon/Tidal support of MQA/High resolution audio is a market differentiator, let’s prioritize improving UX on associated use cases.

Patrick LP

+1

I was just dealing with this frustration this morning! Searched for Joni Mitchel Blue. Two albums show on Tidal in Roon. I know one is the master but you can’t tell until you play it. I was wrong first guess and came back to play the other.

Just realizing there is an entry for this under Feature Request section. Let’s follow-up there:

Looks like this has been delivered…

There is now a “Masters” tab within the TIDAL Roon UI as of build 269 ?

This tab view is progress, but does not fully address the issue. As I do not have an MQA DAC, I prefer to avoid playing MQA files. With my current equipment, given a choice, I prefer to use Redbook files.When looking at a list of albums or tracks, I would like to see the resolution and encoding information displayed prominently, so that I can choose appropriately.

2 Likes

Hi, no that’s been there some months.

Ahh, I didn’t see that before… Sorry :frowning:

No worries! We’re all still patiently waiting for the ‘M’ symbol to come up when browsing Tidal (like the Tidal desktop app shows).

If you weren’t already aware, this is the best spreadsheet (so far) tracking MQA albums in Tidal:

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

@p-cubed Does the “browsing preferences” section give you what you’re after? Or are you also referring to Tidal?

Yes, I’m hoping to see the encoding information for Tidal (flac vs MQA vs mp3, sampling rate, bit depth) in the album and tracks listings. Then I can choose the version I want to play. Thanks.

3 Likes

I really like MQA but would not say it is a night and day difference and I doubt many others would say so either. I have a Meridian Explorer 2 for MQA.

1 Like

Seeing the reference above to the Tidal MQA listing and how it shows the original MQA rate, i had a little fun with the list. I’m not drawing any conclusions, I’ll leave that to you all for the narrative!

Edit: there were 82 albums without a Release Date and there were 4 albums with a rate of 176 which I excluded to make it look neater. :wink:

Cheers,
Rob.

5 Likes

Fun, @RobOK. Let me set you up with a Hadoop server!

1 Like

Roon guys, any word on a feature that implements making which albums/tracks are MQA very obvious?

While maybe not core product feature set, sure would make for some fun listening sessions and clearly wanted by an active set of stakeholders…

3 Likes

+1 for an easy way to identify MQA albums

I am adding both M versions and non M versions when adding from Tidal and in fact it’s more of an issue, when bandwidth is poor and listening not so critical, ie when am cooking or in kitchen around 5-7pm when I want to easily select the NON Master version.

Also when adding from Tidal in the first place to favourites, I can’t do it via Roon, I have to be in the Tidal app to know which versions to add.

So a big +1 from me for adding this,

Is there a specific reason why it can’t be done relatively easily? Has Roon come back with a reason why it can’t be done or if it’s on the “roadmap”?