IEM - ? - iPhone or computer - Roon

Due to big pressure from the many Roon Community members :slight_smile: (LOL) that don’t like BT, I have decided to give cable a try. It is going to be 64 Audio U6t (IEM).

But a device (?) is needed - a Portable DAC/Amp? Or?

What love to hear your suggestion?

THANKS

Torben

I’d recommend the AudioQuest DragonFly Cobalt (usb portable dac), you’ll need a lightening to usb dongle too for the iPhones.

Review here: AudioQuest DragonFly Cobalt review | What Hi-Fi?

2 Likes

There are several dongle DACs available - battery powered or not.

The cheapest one being the Apple one which sells for a tenner I believe, but resamples everything to 24/48. Unless you mind the resampling and your IEMs are not difficult to drive, this may suit you.

That said, some of the most popular portable DACs are Audioquest’s Dragonfly series, Chord’s Mojo 1 and 2, FiiO, iFi and many more.

Here’s a reciew of some

I have the Mojo 1 and the Dragonfly Cobalt.

1 Like

THX RBO - I looking for a solution that do not resample.

Then have a butchers at the other ones I mentioned. There are so many more… picking one will make your brain hurt :slight_smile:

We can help you find the right one though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Already does :slight_smile: Mojo is probably a good choice :slight_smile:

iFi Audio xDSD Gryphon have got some great reviews as well. It is like a “Swiss Army knife”

Gryphon is Apple compatible and usable out the box.

1 Like

I think it is an excellent choice :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I use an AudioQuest Dragonfly Cobalt with iPhone when walking my dog. When sitting in my recliner, I use a Chord Mojo 2. Headphones are Sony WH-1000XM3 and Focal Clear. With the iPhone, you need the Apple Camera Adapter.

1 Like

This is a good point. Dare I say, I use standard Apple earbuds when gardening or similar, since they’re practical, and I wouldn’t want to damage my IEMs or Mojo. Unfortunately, my DragonFly 1.2 doesn’t work with an iPhone without external power.

On a train or plane, or by the pool, I’ll use the Mojo with IEMs, and at home, headphones.

I use a Cobalt, the main reasons , no external power required and it’s also small if you want to use it on the go…ll

1 Like

Thats a good point. But than I need apple camera adapter - but as I understand it, you lose SQ (may bee I am wrong)

If you ever fill the urge to try out a bluetooth device, you can try the Qudelix which is fantastic. Even if you don’t want to use bluetooth, you can always use a cable to connect it directly.

I use this one and I find it sounds ok

You also get a USB-C cable with them for use with Mac and Ipad Pro.

I wonder why that is? My Cobalt works without power except what the iPhone provides.

Yes, I have one of those also. It works fine if you don’t want to keep your phone charged. I also have one that uses USB C for use with iPad Mini 6.

The FiiO LT-LT3 is a good cable if you need to connect your ipad/iphone to a dac with usb c input.

1 Like

I think it draws too much current when compared to the current Black etc.

This one?

1 Like

Yes that’s the one. I use it with my Qudelix to connect my iphone to iems

1 Like

That iFi is a beast as far as reviews are concerned. Does come with a rather hefty price and it’s not as portable as you may think. You may get away with rubber-band-ing it to your phone :slight_smile:

If you are looking for super easy portability and don’t want to worry about charging the DAC, I would suggest a Dragonfly or something similar from FiiO.

Whilst I do own a Dragonfly, I should say they’re overpriced, overhyped and measure poorly. But then again, I listen to music not measurements :slight_smile:

On the other hand, my Mojo 1, whilst battery powered, sounds superb, is a little beast which can power many headphones and is not that big to carry around. The only downside is you will need to use its micro USB to USB A cable and that connected to the Apple CCK adapter if you have a newer iPhone such as the 13. On older iPhones I can connect it by just using a micro USB to lightning OTG data sync cable.